Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had my fourth fill yesterday and before that i was not having good restriction, so i told my doc to put more fill in. He put in 2cc and said its a lot. I have total of 9cc in 11cc band.

Now I am home and cant eat anything except Water and black cofee. I tried Protein Shake and it took me good 30-45 min to finish it after one throw up in between. I tried Soup but could not eat neither could i eat cottage cheese. Is it normal after fill? I never had it before. Should I call my doc or suck it up few days to see if it loosens up? I am craving for some good food already.

Also, Is this called the sweet spot?

I would wait a couple days if you can keep down fluids. I couldn't even keep fluids down after my first fill but by the morning I was fine. If I wasn't I would have called the surgeon for sure. Call immediatly if you can't keep down fluids.

I agree, you should wait at least a week. Stay on liquids such as broth, s/f Jello and Water for at least another day to give the swelling of your stomach time to go down. You are trying to eat too soon.

2 cc's when you already had 7 was a very aggressive fill. In the later stages of fills it is best to add slowly.

Edited by happy2lose
add another sentence

I agree, do liquids only for a day, then try Protein Shake watered down. Add mushies very slowly. It should settle down. It will be very different for a couple weeks then you will get used to the restriction and be able to eat very small amounts of almost everything.

Also after a stuck episode or throwing up go back to liquids for another 12 hours then add thicker liquids then very slowly the mushies. A stuck episode causes more swelling so you have to be careful for awhile.

The same thing happened to me after my last fill. I kind of panicked and after 48 hours, I called the doctor for an appt. The office staff told me he was out of town for 3 days, but I could go to the ER if I was really worried. I decided to wait and after 2 more days, the swelling went down and I could eat again. I cancelled the appointment and have great restriction now. This could be your sweet spot, but you won't know until the swelling subsides.

Cindy

Ok, wow...I think differently than most. I really feel you should call and get a little out. And you are concerned also since you posted here. At least call your surgeon's office and get their input. They may tell you to wait a day or two, but if Protein Shakes are not going down, that is seems too tight.

I had the same thing happen on one of my fills. They put 2cc's in which took me up to 8 because I'd never had even temporary restriction on my other two 3cc fills.

Bingo. I couldn't eat any solids and I had to drink my Protein Shakes slowly. A week later I was still in the same position so they took out 1 cc. Silly me. I should've left it that way because I would've been ahead of the game on weight loss. Now I'm at 7.5 cc and, after some temporary restriction, have none again.

My .02...if you can get Water down, then leave it for a week and do what someone else said about gradually reintroducing shakes, mushies, purees, etc. in. You may find at the end of that week that the swelling is lessening every day until finally you're at your sweet spot.

I'm sorry to hear that you're having so much trouble, but actually, your situation helps me gauge mine a little bit. I too have an 11cc band and I've had 3 fills so far with only a total of 5cc in the band. I so desperately want some restriction because I'm dealing with extreme hunger issues. I'm going in next week for another fill and I'm going to request at least 2ccs from her then. My fill doc is good about listening to me and doing what I request - as long as it's within reason. She also asks me to sit up and drink Water before she removes the fill needle in case she needs to remove any saline. (I've never had to have any removed)

Please give us an update as to how you're doing now with eating/drinking. I sure hope it gets easier for you! :biggrin:

I have an 11ml band, and at the moment I have 8.1ml in there. My surgeon says that most people need around 8ml, but I know I still need more...

For the last three fills I've only been having 0.3ml at a time, there is a VERY fine line between restriction and no restriction, and cos crossing it can make me very ill, I'm glad we're going slow!!!

If you can't get Protein shakes down easily within 24 hours, you need to go get a small amt out. If at any point you have trouble getting Water down, you need to go immediately and have some removed.

A half cc or even .2 can make a big difference.

I have an 11ml band, and at the moment I have 8.1ml in there. My surgeon says that most people need around 8ml, but I know I still need more...

For the last three fills I've only been having 0.3ml at a time, there is a VERY fine line between restriction and no restriction, and cos crossing it can make me very ill, I'm glad we're going slow!!!

Your Dr. should not say "most people" because many people lose all of their weight with their band never needing to be over half full and some people never get a fill and have restriction. It is all so different for each individual.

Your Dr. should not say "most people" because many people lose all of their weight with their band never needing to be over half full and some people never get a fill and have restriction. It is all so different for each individual.

I agree. I have the size 11 band and I only have 2cc total in mine, and I have been at that level since 11/08. My friend has the same band and she has 7-8ccs in hers. Everyone is different.

I'm speaking purely from what I've read on this and other sites, as I've not had my first fill yet - but I've read that if you drink some warm liquid first thing in the morning, it "loosens" the band up some. Worth a try! Good luck!! :)

Thank you for all the responses and suggestions. I called my dr's office right after I wrote the post and talked to the nurse who told me similar things all of you are telling me "wait until monday" take small amounts of liquids at a time etc.

Well my condition is still the same! I can't drink my Protein shake for 45 min or so and cant eat anything even Jello etc. I am taking only Water and milk at this point and feel somewhat weak. I am desperate to eat....may be head hunger.....and tried eating carrots and some soft beans; which I agree was an stupid move but threw up in the night and then in the morning. Now I am not touching anything except thin liquids.

I can't wait until monday and see what day I can go and get some removed. This time I am keeping my mouth shut and not suggesting dr how much he should remove.

On positive note, my weight loss is 23 lbs from 18 and I am happy about it.