Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

"Inverted T" abdominoplasty

I was banded 2 years ago. I began my weight loss journey with a BMI of 44, now it is 25. I have the worlds worst case of jelly belly and I am about to have an inverted T abdominoplasty where the surgeon will slit me open from my breastbone to my C-section scar and pull all the lose skin inwards and remove the exxcess, then re-open the c-section scar and pull the excess skin down and remove the excess stuff. The surgeon thinks this will give me a better contour than a simple apronectomy or Tummy Tuck (please God).

My reason for posting is to ask if anyone else has undergone this procedure - everyone says plastic surgery is very painful and I'm a bit nervous (but not nervous enough to refuse the procedure, beleive me!)

I am also curious as to how much the skin to be removed is likely to weigh. Does anybody know? My original surgeon told me that if I exercised regularly it would reduce the loose skin problem, so I took up running and I've kept to it - I even quite enjoy it (it gives me time to myself when nobody says "Mum, where is the....can I have a......please take me to.....etc). I can now manage 12mph for half an hour or run forever at about 5.5 to 6 mph! Ok, so I'm no Olympian, but it's a hell of a change from 3 years ago.:w00t:

Surgery is booked for 12th Feb.

Hi Ohm,

I had the Anchor cut Tummy Tuck Oct 23, 2007. I had alot of upper flab as well as lower jelly belly also. I had 9 lbs removed. You can read about my journey and there are a few pix, on "Shalees October Overhaul" right here on the Plastic surgery thread.

No amount of exercise would have gotten rid of my bellies.

Yes it was painful, but that's to be expected. I also had the pain pump for 3 days which I highly recomend.

Thanx for that Shalee, it makes me feel less nervous to know that someone else as been there before me.

So you lost 9lbs? Fab! That will take me down to an even better BMI! Yeeha! Fitted tops and jackets - here I come!

I will definitely take a look at your thread - just as soon as I have finished this reply.

How long was it before you were comfortable enough to resume your usual exercise regime? I'm horribly worried about Fluid (and OK, I admit it, fat gain too) gain whilst I'm inactive.

Hi Ohm,

I had a few complications, and didn't exercise for months because of them. I had a revision to my TT in May 2009 to fix where the issue was. Uhmmm I have to admit I then had become lazy with my exercise and it was hard for me to get back into it, but I did, and while I haven't gained anything right now I also haven't lost anymore. I need to "STEP" it up more and get back into it with my whole heart!

Yes, you mentioned the revision in your thread - and the photos are quite breath-taking - but your "after" photos are stunning. I'm at my goal weight, but I still look as if I'm wearing a loose jumper UNDER MY SKIN. Please God, I will soon look like you - or at least a lot better than I do.

I'm going to go nuts if I can't exercise - I have become a complete exercise addict. I don't care if it's the gym or the pool, or just the track - but I have to exercise!

Ohm

I was banded 2 years ago. I began my weight loss journey with a BMI of 44, now it is 25. I have the worlds worst case of jelly belly and I am about to have an inverted T abdominoplasty where the surgeon will slit me open from my breastbone to my C-section scar and pull all the lose skin inwards and remove the exxcess, then re-open the c-section scar and pull the excess skin down and remove the excess stuff. The surgeon thinks this will give me a better contour than a simple apronectomy or Tummy Tuck (please God).

My reason for posting is to ask if anyone else has undergone this procedure - everyone says plastic surgery is very painful and I'm a bit nervous (but not nervous enough to refuse the procedure, beleive me!)

I am also curious as to how much the skin to be removed is likely to weigh. Does anybody know? My original surgeon told me that if I exercised regularly it would reduce the loose skin problem, so I took up running and I've kept to it - I even quite enjoy it (it gives me time to myself when nobody says "Mum, where is the....can I have a......please take me to.....etc). I can now manage 12mph for half an hour or run forever at about 5.5 to 6 mph! Ok, so I'm no Olympian, but it's a hell of a change from 3 years ago.:angry:

Surgery is booked for 12th Feb.

I had a TT and Brachioplasty and couldn't workout for 8 weeks. My TT was extended and he removed 13lbs of excess skin from my Tummy and Arms. I had almost no pain with the TT - all the pain came from my arms and the Lipo he did to make them shapely. He also repaired a hernia I didn't know I had.

Hi PrtyAntOvrYt (love the tag). Thanx for sharing your exp. I wanted my arms (and boobs and legs) done too, but the good old NHS won't do more than 2 procedures and they have to be done seperately - so I'll have to fund the arms and legs myself - or look like a very poorly made mannequin for the rest of my natural! My boobs are definitely the next priority (after the abdo). I used to have lovely breasts - but now they look like long socks with a tennis ball inthe end - YUCK!

OHM, I wish I could run more than one minute at 5.5 without being short of breath. How did you get to the point that you could runs so long. I just cant seem to get my legs strong enough. (Not to mention I have to wear two pair of pants to run because I need a tummy tuck)

Hiya Bobbie, how did I build up my running stamina? Ah, thereby hangs a tale...are you sitting comfortably?

Do you remember a little girl being abducted nearly 3 years ago? Madelaine McCann? Well, I woke up that morning and knew that if someone took one of my tiny terrorists I would not be able to run after them. I was 287 pounds (height 5ft 9) and that was the day I decided to make a difference.

I had just had an operation to remove gall bladder, having developed gall stones and received a diagnosis when halfway through my last pregnancy. At the time Maddie McCann was abducted my tiniest tiddler was only 8 months old and I was booked for a post-surgical assessment - and I knew the surgeon was a bariatric surgeon - so I asked him if he could help me.

His reply was typical - and was the spur that got me going - he said "I will help you if you show me you can help yourwelf - if you don't change your lifestyle before an operation you probably won't change it afterwards. Go away and lose some weight".

So I did. I changed my whole diet and my whole lifestyle. I built exercise into my lifestyle fromthe beginning. I decied that i would walk 5 miles every day and I took up swimming (I've always been part fish - or maybe whale).

Anyway,the first 5 miles I walked took me 8 hours!!!!!!! My husband came with me and by the time we were halfway home he was offering to call me a taxi - but I persevered. When the cold weather came I joined a gym and walked on the treadmill, where I could keep a track of the speed and the distance.

Then came the day when I reached that stage where I was walking faster than some of the joggers and I decided to try to jog onthe treadmill - and I did. SHOCK!!! I, who had never run in her life, was jogging. I immediately phoned all my family and friends who though I had completely lost my mind. Anyway, it went onfrom there. I run, therefore I am!

Last week I managed 12km/h which is about 7.5 mph - not exactly a cheetah speed, but for one previously lardy yardy, significant improvement!

My friends ask me how to run - and I actually taught one to do it. Like me, she had never been a runner, she'd hated PE at school and had never, ever run, in her life. Ialways advise people to get comfortable with walaking first and do it on a treadmill. Get the treadmill up to a comfortable fast walking speed and then just decide to jog at that speed. Don't go any faster - just change the movement from a walk to a jog. It is so easy - and then comes the speeding up bit (which isn't so easy - I'm still working on that).

I have always set aside a specific time for my exercise. When I go to the gym, I set aside an hour for exertion - because I know that i can manage to get my 5 miles in in that time. I never exercise for less, but will sometimes go for longer, depending on how I feel. That way I may get extra exercise, but i know that I always get my minimum requirement.

Remember, you can jog at any speed - slower than a walk or faster than a walk. Most people try to run too fast at first, but slow and steady really does win the race. Just make a small change at a time. Go froma fast walk to a slow jog and then work on the speed. Remember to stretch before and after and most of all TRY TO ENJOY IT. I treasure my time away from work and family demands - it's my golden hour - and the dog (when she comes with me) is much calmer for all the exercise).

Cheers

I'm due for the surgery on Friday! Getting nervous now. I've just got over the swine flu - which has had me flat on my back for 5 days, but am now fighting fit and ready to face the next challenge.

I'll put some piccies up ina bit - found a really bad old one and am dying to share it with someone. Even my kids didn't recognise me!

Good luck with the running/jogging.

Hiya Bobbie, how did I build up my running stamina? Ah, thereby hangs a tale...are you sitting comfortably?

Do you remember a little girl being abducted nearly 3 years ago? Madelaine McCann? Well, I woke up that morning and knew that if someone took one of my tiny terrorists I would not be able to run after them. I was 287 pounds (height 5ft 9) and that was the day I decided to make a difference.

I had just had an operation to remove gall bladder, having developed gall stones and received a diagnosis when halfway through my last pregnancy. At the time Maddie McCann was abducted my tiniest tiddler was only 8 months old and I was booked for a post-surgical assessment - and I knew the surgeon was a bariatric surgeon - so I asked him if he could help me.

His reply was typical - and was the spur that got me going - he said "I will help you if you show me you can help yourwelf - if you don't change your lifestyle before an operation you probably won't change it afterwards. Go away and lose some weight".

So I did. I changed my whole diet and my whole lifestyle. I built exercise into my lifestyle fromthe beginning. I decied that i would walk 5 miles every day and I took up swimming (I've always been part fish - or maybe whale).

Anyway,the first 5 miles I walked took me 8 hours!!!!!!! My husband came with me and by the time we were halfway home he was offering to call me a taxi - but I persevered. When the cold weather came I joined a gym and walked on the treadmill, where I could keep a track of the speed and the distance.

Then came the day when I reached that stage where I was walking faster than some of the joggers and I decided to try to jog onthe treadmill - and I did. SHOCK!!! I, who had never run in her life, was jogging. I immediately phoned all my family and friends who though I had completely lost my mind. Anyway, it went onfrom there. I run, therefore I am!

Last week I managed 12km/h which is about 7.5 mph - not exactly a cheetah speed, but for one previously lardy yardy, significant improvement!

My friends ask me how to run - and I actually taught one to do it. Like me, she had never been a runner, she'd hated PE at school and had never, ever run, in her life. Ialways advise people to get comfortable with walaking first and do it on a treadmill. Get the treadmill up to a comfortable fast walking speed and then just decide to jog at that speed. Don't go any faster - just change the movement from a walk to a jog. It is so easy - and then comes the speeding up bit (which isn't so easy - I'm still working on that).

I have always set aside a specific time for my exercise. When I go to the gym, I set aside an hour for exertion - because I know that i can manage to get my 5 miles in in that time. I never exercise for less, but will sometimes go for longer, depending on how I feel. That way I may get extra exercise, but i know that I always get my minimum requirement.

Remember, you can jog at any speed - slower than a walk or faster than a walk. Most people try to run too fast at first, but slow and steady really does win the race. Just make a small change at a time. Go froma fast walk to a slow jog and then work on the speed. Remember to stretch before and after and most of all TRY TO ENJOY IT. I treasure my time away from work and family demands - it's my golden hour - and the dog (when she comes with me) is much calmer for all the exercise).

Cheers

I'm due for the surgery on Friday! Getting nervous now. I've just got over the swine flu - which has had me flat on my back for 5 days, but am now fighting fit and ready to face the next challenge.

I'll put some piccies up ina bit - found a really bad old one and am dying to share it with someone. Even my kids didn't recognise me!

Good luck with the running/jogging.

I love your story! IT's great! I'm part whale too! I swim laps almost daily and ride my recumbent bike at home 3x 30 mins each time using interval training! I've got a dream of doing a triathlon! BUT the running I haven't done since High school. I need to start slow. I am only 58 lbs from a normal BMI and then I'll have the rest of my plastics done! My face, Lower body lift, butt lift with auto augmentaion, breas lift/augmentation and a anchor cut TT, I am also going to revise my arms (as I am sure I'll need it by then)

Good thing I'm going to Dr Sauceda in Mexico because he'll do several procedures at once! Good Luck with your surgery!

Thanks for the info. I am waiting to hear from my insurance company about getting a tt. I hope they approve it and I am trying really hard to drop a little more weight before I get the approval letter. (My Dr says to think positive they have approved them before) I only have 35 more to drop and would like to be down 10 before surgey. Good Luck on Friday.

Hi everyone – Ohm lives!!!

This is way weird. I got the old lap top out this morning just to let you all know how I am, then I answered someone elses post on another matter = and it was only when I got a personal message from Mimi that I found that the message I had posted this morning has gone walkabout.

Allow me to reassure all you girls and guys considering this procedure that this is definitely the thing to do. Does it hurt? Yes. Is it worth the pain? Oh YES!

There were a few problems:

1/ I always lose plenty of blood during operations – I like to spread it around –so they thought I would be in for 8 days or so, but I’m home already.

2/I have problems controlling my body temp during surgery and it dropped to 35 degrees C, which is what happens when you are spread-eagled naked on a table top surrounded by people you don’t know to well while they do things to your unresponsive body!!!

All joking aside, I am fine. I was the first surgical case on Friday morning, the procedure lasted 4 hours (cos of the above problems) and I was back on the ward and walking to the loo by myself by 3pm and they let me home yesterday after they took out the drains.

I had two drains coming down from each groin side. They were inconvenient but not painful until they took them out – and that really did sting.

They kept on checking my blood because I lost quite a lot during the op, but they kept on getting very high haemoglobin and Iron results (stroll on my healthy vegan diet).

I asked to avoid the morphine, and the an aesthesiologist wasn’t too enthusiastic but he respected my wishes, so I was prescribed paracetamol, ibuprofen and optional tramadol and oromorph (which I took once, just before they got me out of bed for the first time). I’m also taking prophylactic antibiotics.

Anyway, I’m good! This is definitely worth it. Will post again soon.