Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is crock pot food supposed to be bland?

I got a crock pot for xmas and decided to give it a try today.

I turned it on low 8 hours ago and threw the following into it

1 large onion sliced

1 large bell pepper sliced

2 stalks celery sliced

4 cloves of garlic crushed

2 quarts of whole button mushrooms

3 pounds cubed pork shoulder

2 sprigs of rosemary minced

1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce

1/2 white wine vinegar

1 cup Water

2 teaspoons black pepper

1 table spoon no-salt (potassium)

Sounds good even as I type this but it isn't. It is totally tasteless. The meat is as tender as can be but it tastes like I boiled it.

What am I doing wrong? Should I not put water in there? With all of those aromatics, the flavor should be there.

All is not lost because I can dump a bunch of cumin and hot sauce in to give it flavor but I shouldn't have to.

:(

Btrieger...there's a thread started with some slow cooker recipes on it. See if you can find it. There's some pretty simple, but good recipes on it.

Thanks!!

I will try and find it. I am not the type to follow recipes to the T but it will get me off to a better start than today.

If I don't add Water will everything still cook evenly?

Another idea....google Low Fat Slow Cooker recipes.

I did google and I guess I picked the wrong one to try. It is where I got the Water from.

I also agree with not adding Water. I've found that adding additional herbs/spices towards the end of the cooking works best. It's almost like all the flavor boils away if you add it all at the beginning (except for bay leaves) . A splash of vinegar or worchestserhire sauce at the end does wonders.

One of the best ways to cook country style pork ribs:

Broil/brown the ribs a bit on all sides to cook off some of the fat. Toss the ribs in the crock pot and pour a jar of any BBQ Sauce on them. Cook on low all day. You could use the same idea with any meat. The Italian dressing works well on just about any meat too. Crock pot is great for Chili.

Thanks. May give it another shot tomorrow.

It didn't turn out as bad as I thought last time. I was eating it while it was cooking and searing my taste buds. I guess. I rescued it with a bunch of rice to soak up the Water and some bacon salt.

I am going to cook half of a pork shoulder. Is there any need to even thaw it?

And why do so many people suggest browning the meat first?

Browning the meat caramelizes it and brings out the flavors. You do need SOME liquid in the crock pot to cook, but don't put too much. Browning also ensures that the meat's natural juices will stay in it, keeping it both flavorful and moist. Adding herbs/spices at the end is a great idea. Instead of Water, if a recipe calls for it, try low sodium broth, Tomato juice, V8 juice, salsa, canned tomatoes. Keep trying, its a great way to cook.