Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question about chewing food, not drinking during meals and stuff like that!

So, one thing I've read everywhere is that it is essential to completely chew your food, so you better prevent having food get stuck (which is not something I am looking forward to!)

I also know that you're not supposed to drink before, during and after your meal as you don't want to help the food just slide through the band opening...thus defeating the purpose of the band.

My question is that if you are really chewing up your food like you are supposed to, doesn't the food get sort of liquid anyway? I just can't fully grasp why the food doesn't just slide through with ease if it is all mushy. Additionally, let's say for kicks and giggles you were eating some grilled chicken (not too dry...mu husband makes it nice and juicy) and you had some sliced tomatoes. Wouldn't the moisture in the tomatoes make a difference in the consistency of the food in your new pouch allowing it to slide through too easily?

I know you're not supposed to be drinking things like milkshakes and such that just glide on through, but I'm guessing that the masticated food winds up being sort of like the consistency of toothpaste and gradually squeezes through the restriction like toothpaste coming out of the tube?

Am I totally off base here? Can anyone help me out? Thanks in advance!! :w00t:

That's a good question. My doctor and I are on the same page with this, and that is, chew well, but don't overdo it. This is a common issue for bandsters, and it has also come up during my band support group meetings. It is counter productive to the band to chew until your food is virtually in a liquid form, however, it seems some people, even with very little fill, unfortunately, can't tolerate their food any other way. I suppose preband days, I would sometimes swallow food while still in a bit of a "chunk", especially something very solid like steak. You won't do that with the band more than once, because it's unforgiving that way.

Part of it depends on how tight your band is and how your body reacts to banding, and although my band should be tight by fill measurement, it's not tight at all. Some things you would naturally chew more than others, but that's the same as anyone.

You're probably right about adding Tomato to chicken and causing it to be more liquid consistency. If you measure, I suppose that may cause you to feel hungry a little sooner, and if you don't measure, it may cause you to eat a little more than you generally do. The tomato is great for you though, so I'd opt for the tomato anyway. I feel like if you try to stick to solid meals most often, these things equal out in the end.

Edited by kiz

My question is that if you are really chewing up your food like you are supposed to, doesn't the food get sort of liquid anyway?

Doesn't make sense to me either, but I know it works. I have found that it makes a difference depending on the moistness of the food. For example, I had some tuna salad in a Tomato one day for lunch. It didn't stick with me as long as other foods. I read somewhere to go easy on the mayo since it tends to turn the tuna salad into a slider food. Now I put just enough mayo to moisten it but not nearly as much as I used to...and it stays with me.

I've been eating Gorton's grilled tilapia filets and I thought that would be a slider food. Not even close. I can chew it to mush and sometimes I still get a tiny bit stuck where I just have to sit and wait. No pain if I'm smart enough not to stuff another bite on top until it moves. I have to say that as much as I love fish...it's one of those foods that is disgusting when you chew it to mush. :(

I wonder if part of the chew, chew, chew doesn't go back to gastric bypass patients. The new pouch created during that procedure doesn't grind food, thus it must be completely masticated to continue on it's way through the digestive process.

However, I have swallowed half chewed items and lived to regret it. But I also don't chew my food to liquid. It is a fine art, and one that you will master with time.

I have also had experiences when I swallowed something not fully chewed and thought I was done for, only to find it was fine.

My surgeon doesn't have an issue with my having some liquids with food. I have also not noticed a difference in my satiety levels if I sip some liquids or not with meals. But I don't drink massive amounts, just a few sips to moisten my mouth. My surgeon does have an issue with drinking liquids with calories rather than eating the calories.

Your surgeon may very well have different insrtructions and your mileage may vary.

I confess that I have a little bit of milk with my dinner. It is a habit I can't seem to break, and my surgeon knows about it. We agreed to disagree. It is the only calorie containing liquid I consume, and about 8 oz a day. I can live with that. My surgeon doesn't even want me using Protein shakes. He wants all my calories to come in solid form. Except after fills, which at this point, happen rarely.

You will find what works for you. This is what works for me.

Denise