Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-op Diet - Weight Loss

I've been on my liquid pre-op diet for 9 days and only show about a 2 lb loss on the scale. Weird right?

My only slip was a few nights ago and it was 3 crackers and a slice of cheese. I swear.

I'm worried that my doc's going to think I'm not taking it seriously. Has anyone else seen this happen? It seems like everyone I read about loses so much (water) weight.

I am not sure why you have not lost more weight in 9 days...make sure that you diet has little or no carbs. If you are consuming protien shakes as your pre-op diet, I wouldn't use any milk and use Water instead. If you are buying your shakes, then make sure you are buying the "lite" brand of shakes you are doing. I have been on the diet for about as long as you have and have lost nearly 20 lbs. I would also buy a nutrition scale and weigh out your foods to ensure you are only consuming the amounts allowed by your diet...plus it will come in handy for your new life style. My pre-op diet consists of a Muscle milk lite (morning), 1 cup fruit, NO Bananas (10 am.), 4-6 oz. lean meat (Fish,Chicken, Beef) and all you want of green vegtables (avoid potatoes & carrots), and Muscle Milk Lite (5-6pm). Drink only water, Unsweet tea or Crystal lite...NO DIET SODA. I don't see a couple of crackers and cheese holding you back...either that or your scale is broke???:w00t: I hope this helps

My pre-op is all liquid...1,000 and 70 grams of Protein. I haven't been logging calories so I think maybe I've been shorting myself. (Ask me two weeks ago if I thought this was even conceivable and I'd have laughed at you.)

I have two Pure Protein shakes from Trader Joes, 35g, 170 calories each, 1-2 low fat cream Soups, a yogurt, a pudding, and unlimited Crystal Light, Water and broth. Oh, and at least 1-2 cups of coffee in the morning with FF Creamer.< /p>

I'm not discouraged or feeling like a failure. Just perplexed.

My nutritionist told me that this two week period is not about weightloss. It's about strictly shrinking your liver so that it won't be in the way for surgery. Of coarse most DO lose weight during that time, but as long as you're doing what you're supposed to be doing then I'm sure your liver is shrinking like it's should. Don't worry about what the scale says. Also, when you don't eat, you're body's natural instinct is to lower it's metabolism and hold onto your fat. So, that might be whats happening. Good luck!

Were you dieting prior to starting the pre-op? This could make a difference. If you were already restricting intake and had already lost the Water weight, you might not have had that to let go of once you began the shakes.< /p>

It could also be the time of day that you weighed yourself or using 2 different scales.

I only expect to drop 6-8 pounds in my two week pre-op because I have modified my eating habits.

I thought I'd post a follow up in case anyone ever searches for this topic.

I spoke with the nutrutionist at my surgeon's office and she said losing 3 lbs wasn't common but wasn't unheard of. She said my (relatively) low BMI at 38.5 might be part of that too.

The reality was, my at-home scale sucks. The hospital scale said I had lost 10 lbs. Much better.

Get rid of that dratted scale! That thing will mess with your head! Glad you figured out what was going on.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      · 0 replies
    • Mr.Kantos

Just signed up. Feeling optimistic.
      · 0 replies
    • Frugal

Welcome to Frugal Testing, where we are committed to revolutionizing the software testing landscape with our efficient and affordable solutions. As a pioneering company in this field, we understand the challenges faced by startups, small to medium-sized businesses and any organization working without budget constraints. Our mission is to deliver top-notch testing services that ensure the highest quality of software, all while keeping your costs in check.
      Frugal Testing offers a comprehensive suite of testing services tailored to meet diverse needs. Specializing in different types of testing including functional testing, automation testing, metaverse testing and D365 testing, we cover all bases to guarantee thorough software quality assurance. Our approach is not just about identifying bugs; it's about ensuring a seamless and superior user experience.
      Innovation is at the heart of what we do. By integrating the latest tools and technologies, many of which are cutting-edge open source solutions, we stay ahead in delivering efficient and effective testing services. This approach allows us to provide exceptional quality testing without the high costs typically associated with advanced testing methodologies.
      Understanding each client's unique needs is fundamental to our service delivery. At Frugal Testing, the focus is on creating customized testing strategies that align with specific business goals and budget requirements. This client-centric approach ensures that every testing solution is not only effective but also fully aligned with the client's objectives.
      Our team is our greatest asset. Composed of skilled professionals who are experts in the latest testing techniques and technologies, they bring dedication, expertise and a commitment to excellence in every project. This expertise ensures that our client’s software not only meets but often exceeds the highest standards of quality and performance.
      Frugal Testing is more than just a service provider; we are a partner in your success. With a blend of quality, innovation and cost-effectiveness, we are here to help you navigate the complexities of software testing, ensuring your product stands out in today's competitive market. 
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches