Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does Eatting Out Still Exist?

I still go out quite a bit actually but eat differently when we do. If I go to Breakfast with my husband I will order a crispy english muffin, i will eat 1/2 of it and give the other 1/2 to him, he will have a meal that has either bacon or ham on it and I will eat a little of that.

For lunch we just went to applebees this weekend, I ordered the new wonton tacos, they are 4 little tacos, I ate 2 of them, my husband ate the other 2.

Very often I will order an appetizer of some sort then I can share the rest with others at the table, i.e. we went to a pub this weekend, they had an appetizer called steak bites. It was about 5 pieces of steak that was maybe 3/4" x 1/5" with either a b b que or horsey dipping sauce. I ate 2 of them and a bit of salad, the rest was my lunch today.

So you can make it work, the thing I find is to make sure you pace yourself, eat slow, that way although others are eating more you are still eating while they are so no one feels akward. I tend to go for the meat first, salad or veg second, stay away from the potatoes, pastas, fries, or other starches they dont work for me and are empty calories anyway so why waste the small amount I can eat on something like that. Hope this helps.

I still go out quite a bit actually but eat differently when we do. If I go to Breakfast with my husband I will order a crispy english muffin, i will eat 1/2 of it and give the other 1/2 to him, he will have a meal that has either bacon or ham on it and I will eat a little of that.

For lunch we just went to applebees this weekend, I ordered the new wonton tacos, they are 4 little tacos, I ate 2 of them, my husband ate the other 2.

Very often I will order an appetizer of some sort then I can share the rest with others at the table, i.e. we went to a pub this weekend, they had an appetizer called steak bites. It was about 5 pieces of steak that was maybe 3/4" x 1/5" with either a b b que or horsey dipping sauce. I ate 2 of them and a bit of salad, the rest was my lunch today.

So you can make it work, the thing I find is to make sure you pace yourself, eat slow, that way although others are eating more you are still eating while they are so no one feels akward. I tend to go for the meat first, salad or veg second, stay away from the potatoes, pastas, fries, or other starches they dont work for me and are empty calories anyway so why waste the small amount I can eat on something like that. Hope this helps.

thank you so much for your post!

I really enjoy salads quiet a bit but my doctor has told me to stay away from lettuce and also tough meats like steak and roast :rolleyes2: you have no problems eatting those? nothing stuck, or no pain afterward? thanks so much about the advice to stay away from fries...they are my weakness but I realize they are no good, I'd definitely rather have a baked potatoe or a salad as my side...if I can eat salad :)

what problem does Pasta cause for you? I love Pasta, but I'd like to learn from others mistakes instead of making the mistake for myself, you and everyone else on here are really helping me out a lot

Ahhh... Applebee's! I love it... So this is what I learned... My BFF and I use to SHARE the boneless wings and the chocolate meltdown. No meal just an appetizer and a dessert... So I decide to look up the calorie content one day and found out we were "sharing" a total of 2500 calories. Keep in mind this was an appetizer and dessert, no main course.

On a side note... I love :rolleyes2: Starbucks Grande White chocolate Mocha... Ah, should have its own religion... Anywho, this lovely drink has a nice 500 calories..

Just some food "calories" for thought..

Ahhh... Applebee's! I love it... So this is what I learned... My BFF and I use to SHARE the boneless wings and the chocolate meltdown. No meal just an appetizer and a dessert... So I decide to look up the calorie content one day and found out we were "sharing" a total of 2500 calories. Keep in mind this was an appetizer and dessert, no main course.

On a side note... I love :rolleyes2: Starbucks Grande White chocolate Mocha... Ah, should have its own religion... Anywho, this lovely drink has a nice 500 calories..

Just some food "calories" for thought..

I was reading on here, and something clicks in my head: children's menu.

I think that from now on when I go out I'll eat from the kid's menu. They typically have a choice of sides (example: mcdonalds offers only fries as a side for adult meals but apple slices or fries in a kids meal), smaller portions, and they are cheaper!

I'm so glad I'm not a coffee drinker, it sounds like it was difficult giving up that starbucks drink lol

Hello! I, too, was wondering how going out to eat would work w/ my band since it seems like the majority of all social functions revolves around food (parties, meeting friends for dinner, family functions, etc.). The biggest obstacle that I've had going out to eat is that my eyes are bigger than my stomach and wanting to order in "pre-band fashion." After surgery, my surgeon gave me a card that I show to the server whenever I order at a restaurant. The card states that I've had a medical procedure that greatly reduces the amount of food I can eat and asks that I be allowed to order from the children's menu. I have had absolutely no problems using this card. It usually generates conversation about my surgery. Or sometimes, I will just order an appetizer or just have some of my hubby's dinner. :rolleyes2:

I can eat salad if the lettuce is well cut up and and well chewed... if not it can be dicey, basically lettuce has the habit of not getting cut into small piece when you chew, so it can unfold and kind of block or something when eaten. But if you use shreaded lettuce (like they call shreads in the grocery store) it seems to work for me.

meat is an individual thing, some people it really does not work, but for me I find as long as the meat is not over cooked or dried out and I chew well I can eat it just fine. Pasta -- I can eat some Pasta but it has to be the lighter pasta like spaghetti and small amounts, I cant eat the heavy dense italian type pasta's, basically it just gumms up and forms a ball and gets stuc, so the ticket is plenty of sauce and chew well.

I read somewhere that once you are filled, the opening between the pouch and lower stomach is smaller than your little finger.. if you think of it that way you will understand why eating slow and chewing is so important. And soft bread of any kind does not work no matter how slowly I eat or how well I chew. Also I cannot eat scrambled eggs, I did until my last fill but now no way, comes up everytime. Hope this helps, feel free to send me a private message if you have more questions.

I can eat salad if the lettuce is well cut up and and well chewed... if not it can be dicey, basically lettuce has the habit of not getting cut into small piece when you chew, so it can unfold and kind of block or something when eaten. But if you use shreaded lettuce (like they call shreads in the grocery store) it seems to work for me.

meat is an individual thing, some people it really does not work, but for me I find as long as the meat is not over cooked or dried out and I chew well I can eat it just fine. Pasta -- I can eat some Pasta but it has to be the lighter pasta like spaghetti and small amounts, I cant eat the heavy dense italian type pasta's, basically it just gumms up and forms a ball and gets stuc, so the ticket is plenty of sauce and chew well.

I read somewhere that once you are filled, the opening between the pouch and lower stomach is smaller than your little finger.. if you think of it that way you will understand why eating slow and chewing is so important. And soft bread of any kind does not work no matter how slowly I eat or how well I chew. Also I cannot eat scrambled eggs, I did until my last fill but now no way, comes up everytime. Hope this helps, feel free to send me a private message if you have more questions.

thank you so much! All of your experiences have actually really helped me. Even if I could eat soft bread with no problems, I'm definitely not going to try it! I had a scrambled egg this morning (first solid food since the surgery) and it went down pretty well, but of course I havent had any fills so, we'll see!

once again thank you so much, you've really helped me!