Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you ever feel lethargic and weak from lack of food???

I have seen bandsters mention they "forget to eat" or are "never hungry". I think that is great... but doesn't it make you very lethargic and tired if you don't have proper nutrition?? :cry

I can't imagine eating only a few cups of food for the entire being enough to sustain my body. :cry I am sure that it is, seeing as everyone here is alive and kicking.... :(

Do you ever just feel TIRED and WEAK???

I did post-surgery. It went away :(

I have a theory about my weight loss, though. 6+ months down the road, I hit plateaus regularly. I find that after a few days of eating really "well', meaning, "less", I get starvin marvin, and since I am actually able to get more down at this point, I eat a bit more, and maintain that plateau. I get hungry! My body wants to maintain it's weight. And I promise there are not-so-good foods that go down just fine. I surely eat less than I used to, and I really do get fuller faster, but I still get the hungries every once in a while and will eat what I shouldn't. This is where the head-work comes in for me. Getting past that starvin marvin mode and allowing more weight loss to happen, rather than just maintaining my loss, is the hard part. It's slow, but it's steady down, so I can't really complain. Good luck!

Like Kathy said, just after surgery I felt that way, but for crying out loud, I'd just had major surgery! I maintain my calories between 1000 and 1200 a day, generally speaking. I just had my 4th fill, so I've been getting less than this for the last week, but I'm giving myself a break from counting calories for a while. (I'm making myself crazy)

I only occasionally feel really lethargic, but I attibute this to my fibromyalgia rather than nutrition.

Interestingly, before being banded, if I didn't eat, I will feel nauseous, weak, jittery, get Migraines, the whole bit. Once I was over the initial surgery and basic 'detox' of all the sugars/refined starches I was stuffing in my face on a daily basis, those things seemed to subside. Now, my thinking is such that if I ever get to feeling even slightly that way, I say to myself, 'I need protein'.

I rarely get those hungry shakes anymore and I've been banded well over 2 years. If I stay hydrated and maintain Protein intake I do amazingly well. Do I only eat Protein and drink Water? Nope. Do I 'diet'? Nope. In fact, I vary from the path on a daily basis, but I no longer have those terrible bouts of weakness associated with hunger.

It seems to be subsiding for me, although that's how I used to be whenever I dieted.

I'm also having less symptoms of being freezing cold at night after the days I've eaten less, although I did need my heating pad last night.

before being banded, if I didn't eat, I will feel nauseous, weak, jittery, get Migraines, the whole bit.

Same with me. Only thing was about a week before I got my first fill, I would get really really hungry. Right now I'm only 5 days out from being filled, but I haven't been hungry. I noticed that I simply can't eat Breakfast because I'm too tight, so I just drink a Protein drink. Then a good lunch, and a small dinner. Granted, I am still on soft foods for another day, but I do eat.

It's funny how the band really begins to break your old views on food. I too thought I would DIE only eating a cup or less of food. You know what? The band makes you rethink everything. It makes you realize just HOW MUCH food we all eat and just how much we don't need to be eating like that. It gives you a new outlook on food. It makes you make much smarter food choices because if you can only eat a small amount, you want it to be good, quality and good tasting. No longer this "well it's blah but I'll finish it and go on to something better". Nope. You eat quality tasty stuff instead, feel MUCH more satisfied and yes, you can live on a few cups of food a day. JUST fine!!!

Sometime I still get a bit lightheaded but a swig of gatorade fixes that. Another thing I learned once that I can't do b/c I have reflux, but if you mix a tiny bit of orange juice w/ Water if it will keep your blood sugar elevated and steady all day.

Thanks all for the replies. Gave me a bit more understanding I think to how it may feel post band.

Sometime I still get a bit lightheaded...... if you mix a tiny bit of orange juice w/ Water if it will keep your blood sugar elevated and steady all day.

That is a good idea. I am having problems with bottoming out in the middle of the day because of my metformin and lack of sugar intake. I get super sleepy but I refuse to eat sugar for the boost. I may try have a big of OJ. Thanks for the idea. :)