Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fill me up, Buttercup...

So I have to see my doctor on Jan 16, and I was told that I "may or may not" get my first fill, depending on how well I'm doing. After reading some of the threads here, I have to tell you, I'm more than a little nervous. I have something just short of an actual phobia about regurgitating, but it seems like after a fill, the majority of bands are unhappy with their hosts for a few days.

Questions: Does this nausea/queasiness/vomiting/pbing/sliming/what-have-you usually happen the same day as a fill? Within 24 hours? 48 hours? And how long does it normally last?

I ask because my local ER is completely inept (truly), and my doctor is 2 hours away. If I can expect to be ill right after a fill, then I need to make arrangements to stay with my inlaws, who live closer to the city. It will make me feel better and stress less, to know that I am close enough to medical care to get it if I need it in an emergency.

Thanks!

I should add that the physician's assistant said they will only give me 2 to 3 cc fill the first time, and subsequent fills will only be .5 ccs. Don't know if that will make a difference -- seems like some people get really big fills the first time.

Everyone is different. I had 3 cc's on my first fill and could still eat anything and everything. Two weeks later, I had another 3 cc's put in. French bread became difficult, but otherwise no problems. A week later I had another 2 cc's put in but was unable to eat any solid food, so a week later they took out 1 cc and now I'm great. I have a Realize band.

Go with what you feel is appropriate. My doctor's office routinely gives 4ccs for a first fill. I was doing well already and felt mild restriction just from having the band placed, so I asked for half of that. She put 2ccs in, had me drink Water and I told her it felt a little funny. She had me lie down and took 1 of the ccs out leaving me with 1cc in, which was perfect. Go with what you feel. If you are REALLY nervous about it, don't just go with water, bring a Protein Drink with you and try to drink that in the office. If it goes too slow, have them take a little out. Some people don't need big fills for restriction and you really don't want to find out the hard way. Also, I would probably plan on staying with your inlaws to be closer, just in case you need them to take some out the next day.

f you are REALLY nervous about it, don't just go with Water, bring a Protein drink with you and try to drink that in the office. If it goes too slow, have them take a little out.

That's great advice, I think I'll do exactly that, and plan on staying at the inlaws, as well.

But normally, if someone is going to have a "gut reaction" to a fill, is it right away, or do a few days pass? I'm just trying to get a grasp on what to expect the week or two after a fill, with the obvious understanding that everyone is different. I'll feel much more confident about a fill if I know what I might expect.

Thanks again, I really appreciate the input!

I have a Realize band.

I have no idea what kind of band I have, or how big it is. My doctor didn't tell me that there were different kinds or sizes :biggrin:

That's great advice, I think I'll do exactly that, and plan on staying at the inlaws, as well.

But normally, if someone is going to have a "gut reaction" to a fill, is it right away, or do a few days pass? I'm just trying to get a grasp on what to expect the week or two after a fill, with the obvious understanding that everyone is different. I'll feel much more confident about a fill if I know what I might expect.

Thanks again, I really appreciate the input!

I wish I could give you a set answer, but there really isn't one. Some feel it right away, like I do. Others it can take days or even a week or two. My stomach has an immediate reaction to being "messed with". I know right away. This is good and bad. I had restriction just from having the band placed (good), but also become a little tight during times of stress (bad). This also means, that barring any problems, my band will last me for years, because it isn't anywhere close to being full. After almost 18 months, I STILL only have a total of 2ccs in mine.

Do you have any restriction now? If so, you may want to consider doing the smaller amount they suggest. The worst thing you can do is rush restriction and become too tight in the process. This will depend on how often your dr will give you fills and the number that are included in your surgery cost. If they don't restrict you to the time frame or number of fills, I would definitely go slower and go every two weeks until it is "just right". Take it as slow as you have the patience for...Good luck!

Rats -- I was afraid you would say that, lol. I guess the best I can do is to plan on staying with the inlaws the night of and day after a fill and see how I'm feeling. If I have a reaction a week or so after a fill, I'll just have to make the long drive down to the city and hope I don't toss my Cookies in the car, ha ha.

To answer your question, I think I'm having some restriction -- it's hard to say because I'm new at this and not really sure what it's supposed to feel like. I know that I get hungry, and I eat regular foods for the most part, but I'm eating a lot less because I get fuller faster than I did before the band. On the other hand, I can eat more than I had envisioned that I would be able to. For instance, I could not sit down and eat an entire hamburger. MAYBE half before I felt full. I stop there, but for illustrative purposes, if I was determined to eat it all for some reason, and if I chewed it really well, I could probably get it down over the course of, say, an hour to an hour and a half.

I have not felt the need to toss my Cookies yet, which is a real blessing, but there have been two times that I felt something I ate was hung up. Not sure that it would classify as being "stuck" because there was no pain, just a feeling like something wouldn't go down all the way, but I walked around a bit and in a few minutes the sensation went away.

Both times, btw, it was tuna salad, which is weird, because it was pretty moist and minced up before I even began chewing on it, and I chewed the daylights out of it before I swallowed it. Not sure what that was about.

So yeah, I guess I'm feeling some restriction, just not sure if it's as much as I'm supposed to be feeling. How does one know these things? How can you tell if you're restricted enough? Or if you need a fill? This is all so new to me.

Thanks again!

From what you just said, you sound like you do have the kind of restriction I keep, even now. It is perfect for me and what I consider it my "sweet spot". I can eat most any kind of food I want, just a lot less of it. I haven't eaten an entire hamburger since being banded and I don't want to. You may want a little more restriction during the beginning of your journey, but not much more. Those little stuck episodes are a sign you have some restriction already. Any tighter, and you will have to restrict the kinds of foods you eat and you may begin to pb, which isn't good. If you are still this restricted when you go to the doc for you fill, please be honest with them. You probably don't need any more than 1cc. Tell them the amounts you eat, how you feel when something is "stuck" and they will help you decide what to do. Good luck and please keep me posted.

I have a 11cc band and my first fill was 6cc (which took me by surprise).. at first I had good restriction, now not so much.. I get my second fill on Jan 22 (which I am looking forward to).

When I did get my first fill, the doc had me stand against a wall, cough so he could locate the port, and then gave me a cup of Water to drink and asked me to give a signal when I felt different.. well. I never felt any different and he said he wasn't going to give me any more than the 6cc's.

I only had one pb incident, and that was my own fault for snarfing down triscuit crackers.. believe me, you don't want to get so filled that you can't live your life.. we need to remember it is a tool and not a cure all...

Good luck to you..

Thanks! I think I will take your sage advice and tell the physician's assistant that I really would prefer not to rush into a fill. Maybe give myself another two weeks before we try a fill, and see how things are going then.

Thanks again for your input!

Hang on a second ...

You had to cough so the doctor could locate the port?? I can totally feel mine under my skin. It's very prominent -- is this abnormal??

Hang on a second ...

You had to cough so the doctor could locate the port?? I can totally feel mine under my skin. It's very prominent -- is this abnormal??

My doc doesn't have me cough or even do the "crunch" that many talk about. The PA just gently pushes and then does the fill. My port is easy to feel also.

That's good to know. I hadn't expected that I would be able to feel the port under my skin so well. It's sort of creeps me out a little, to be honest. But it's good to know that it's normal -- thanks!