Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To Band or Not to Band. Help

Hello all. I have been eyeing the band for over a year trying to decide what to do. I live the typical american life. To much food not enough time for my self and exercise. I am a low BMI individual today but see myself doing nothing but continueing to diet and yo yo up and down. Thus the band has been my thought.

As for exercise, I would love to pick up running and or biking but at my current weight and place in life I can't do much.

Please give me your opinion as users of the band. Don't just say each person is different. I will take each response with a grain of salt knowing that no two peoples situations or reasons are the same. Bottom line, please respond with your thoughts.

Goal: Lose weight to a healthy level and compete in triatholons and running races with the band. Goal without the band, survive and lose as much as I can.

Stats:

36 year old male

6' tall (5'11") without shoes

242 pounds

40" pants that are to tight

Well, I started out at 284 pounds/BMI of 42.2, so I know about not doing much. However, I'm down 80 pounds and am looking at running as the next step in my exercise program. Me. Run? WTF? I now walk with running intervals and continue to increase that. I'll be 59 in two weeks and while training for a triathalon isn't totally out of the question, I think probably not....but I continue to increase my duration for exercise and what I can actually do comfortably so I can only say it is what you set out for yourself to do...and what you work to achieve. The band has given me something very precious. I've made it through the holidays without a significant weight gain FOR THE FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE and in the past that would always throw me off and I'd start regaining lost weight.

Everyone is different and in the end it is your decision but if I could fit in a 40" waist, tight or not, I wouldn't be considering surgery just yet.

What have you tried thus far?

I've lost quite a bit just cutting my portions down a little and walking a few times a week.

I am getting banded because I know by experience that I will pack the weight right back on once I revert back to my old ways.

Have you looked at devices like the Bodybugg? The bodybugg will tell you how many calories you are burning and this will let you know how much you can eat and still lose weight. You don't have to starve yourself or get on any strict exercise routine.

at 5' 11" and 242 lbs, it gives you a BMI of 33.8

I do not know if you will find a surgeon that will do the surgery with a BMI below 35.

From what I understand, most of them say they will do the surgery on people who have a BMI of 40 or more without co-morbidities , and will do the surgery on people with BMIs between 35-40 if there are at least 2 co-morbidities.

A 6' man at 200 lbs would look pretty great !

You are 5"11 240 based off a BMI calculator I found online you are 33.5 BMI and its states that above 30.0 is Obese. If I were you and I have been on the yo yo train most of the time I would have it done!!!

Oh and you stated you are a low BMI at this time what is your norm? I dont see above 30 as low.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I am still in the decision period but am leaning towards have the band put on. I wanted to thank all of you. I will continue to hang around here to ask more questions.

Well... everyone is different, and while it works for MOST people .. it doesn't work for everyone. While it works for most people without problem, there are those (myself included) that have had some problems. Just out the complications board on here.

Having said that - I would still do it again in a minute. 2 years ago, I had a BMI of 43 and the getting off the couch was my idea of a workout, with a 44 waist.

But, I also made changes in how I looked at food, what I ate (to a lesser degree) and worked out.

For me the band leveled the playing field. I no longer am on the diet I had been on for 20 years. I did 2- 5ks last year and signed up for a tri this summer!

The bottom line is, for it too work you have to be willing to make changes and this WILL include making "ME" time. Good Luck

Congrats on the weight loss Dennis.

John, keep us informed when you do make your final decision.

Here’s my story and maybe it will help!

I have been struggling with my weight since I got out of high school 15 years ago. With all the activities, i.e. football, baseball, weights lifting, ending I started to watch my weight start to clime. In Nov 2009 I weighed in at 328 pounds and my goal is 200. If you have to loose more than 50/60 lbs this is a tool that can help. I did every diet/program you can think of and I lost 40,50,60 even 70 pounds and then put it all back on plus a few extra. Five years ago I was averaging between 280-290 lbs and I was in very good overall heath; just over weight. So I put weight loss on hold and decided to stop smoking 3-4 packs a day. Well, that was great in so many ways except ONE. I went from the 280-290 to an average weight of 320-330. Two and a half years ago I went on Nutra system and lost 70lbs. I felt good but killed my self to get there. I was going 2 times a day to the gym for 2 ½ hours a day at my peek. Then my back went out and I stopped the gym for nearly 2 months. By the time I finally got my back fixed I just didn’t have it in me to keep going. All my efforts for 1-½ years only got me to 70lbs lost. So for over a year I kept saying I am done with diets. My biggest problem was that I was great when I was on them but as soon as I stopped, I was like “thank god that’s over”… Then I would watch what I ate but it wasn’t the quality of food it was the quantity I ate. I went back and forth with the lap band for over a year and finally made the appointment. My insurance would not cover a dime so I found a well-recommended doctor who worked with patients that had to pay out of pocket. I made the decision to go through with it. I had some issues with having my surgery and it was postponed 3 times, (i.e. my other posts). It made me really think “should I do this, was the postponement a sign not to do it?” In short I had to loose 28 lbs before surgery, which I did in 25 days!! I had the surgery on Dec. 17th 2009 and since then I have lost an additional 11 pounds. Will it continue? I will have to wait and see, but so far it has helped fixed my main problem-- OVEREATING!!! Instead of having 8 or 10 pieces of French toast this morning, I had 1-½ pieces . I feel that this is the tool I have been in desperate need of. I am solely responsible for my weight loss but hoping this tool will help me. Think of it this way, they used to build houses with hand saws and hammers and nails, but today, there are power tools to help do the job. The house got built either way, however, the houses today are using the right tools and it just makes the job bit easier.

Good Luck :blink:

Dominick