Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

almost a week post-op....

Tomorrow I will be a full week post-op. Ive had ups and severe downs and today I feel better than I have been. Ive lost 32 lbs since 12/2/09 (which includes my preop diet) I feel great!

But I do have some questions....

Is it normal to get to the point where youre like "just get this thing out of me!!!!"

Im still having issues with gas....Im eating gasx strips like candy, basically....what do you guys prefer for constipation....todays been the first day I havent needed to take my Lortab...Ive been relying on Tylenol....which will help the Constipation, but is there any other tips or tricks to get rid of gas/constipation? Ive been walking up and down my hall several times a day.

Also, my port site hurts pretty bad....is that normal?? when I lay on my side it feels like something is pulling down on the site or something? its hard to describe....

sorry for all the questions and the book I wrote lol!

any tips or encouragement would be greatly appreciated!

Hey there, I'm a week post-op on Thurs. I still have the gas, but no movements yet. hmm... Still taking a bunch of gas-x strips too. My doc has my taking an antacid and laxative so that when it comes it won't hurt.

I miss sleeping on my stomach, badly. I can't sleep on my sides at all, too uncomfortable.

I get hungry too. But once I start eating by the time I'm done I'm usually feeling a bit full.

My incisions ache, but not terribly. I don't feel so bad getting up and down any more either. I didn't even take a Tylenol yet today and the day's almost over!

If your port site is really bad, maybe you should call the doctor.

I'm jealous that you've lost 32 lbs already. I'm sitting a 18 lb. lost. I'm hoping by the end of the liquids phase, I'll be where you are with the weight loss.

Congratulations on being banded. I'm not feeling "anything like get this out of me yet." I'm certain I will have those moments. I'm staying strong and keeping myself busy - especially my hands. :-)

i am two weeks post opt, it gets better honestly my port still hurts when i put a shirt over it went for my 2 week check up they said it was ok,, i think u may need more Protein, ,, hey i am all done liquid stage,on mushies it feels good to eat just 3 oz of fish or cottage cheese, ,, i had cream of Tomato Soup when i was on liquids it was hot,and the milk gave me protein,, sip it slow and only do 4 oz at time but it's better than those shakes for a change,, i was 2 weeks before i slept on my side so it will get better honest Larry

I am at 1 week post op and I have gas issues in my shoulder, my sister was banded 1 yr ago and she said gas settles in your shoulder. Liquids are hard, I am excited about stage 3. My port is still alittle painful. I have been able to sleep on my side for a couple nights now. :tongue:

I am 5 days post op so right behind you. I haven't had the feeling like I want this thing out of me. I know I REALLY need it, but there have been moments where this recovery has been more challenging than I anticipated.

On the 3rd day post-op, I woke up w/the most intense pain in my shoulder. I had already had shoulder pain, but not THIS bad. I had to wake up my husband to set up the heating pad for me and get me my lortab. After that episode, I did more research online as to how to get rid of this gas once and for all. Everything I read said walk, walk, walk, so I upped my walking to 10 minutes walking (slow) on the treadmill EVERY hour. I also read that the lortab makes your bowels sluggish so I tried to get by using just tylenol and the heating pad for my shoulder pain. Really, the heating pad works faster than the lortab when your shoulder gets really sore. And, the walking seemed to reduce the shoulder pain as well. By the end of the day, I had passed a lot of gas and had my first BM as well.

By the next day (yesterday), I was feeling pretty good. And, today, I feel like I'm at 90%... my incisions still hurt when I use my stomach muscles, but that is pretty much it. I had a post-op class this morning at 9am and went to costco and Safeway afterwards for Christmas dinner fixings (got home at 2pm). So, that was a pretty full day.

Anyway, so step up your walking and get off that Lortab as much as you can. I took children's tylenol chewable for awhile, but most of the time, I don't even need that anymore.

I had my surgery on 12/11. The shoulder pain was pretty bad for the first few days but Tylenol worked and it wasn't bad after that. The pain where my port was (on my right side) was HORRIFIC for about eight days. It felt like a burning sensation and like my guts were ripping out. Sorry if that sounds too graphic but I don't know how else to describe it. I thought I had maybe injured myself by bending or something so I called the doctor and they said it was normal. About day nine the pain was almost gone and since then gets better and better. I couldn't sleep in any position but my back and had a terrible time getting out of bed for about nine days too but now am able to maneuver and last night I could sleep on my port side with a pillow propped. I feel almost 100% back to normal.

I did have the Constipation about day five. It was HORRIBLE and lasted for about three days. I ended up taking a stool softener and it worked after about 12 hours.

My problem now is hunger. I go to the doctor tomorrow and am hoping he is going to let me start some sort of real food. I have had no intolerance to anything so far, no nauseau, no gas. I am just hungry!!

Give it a few more days and you will feel better.

Thanks for all of the tips! Theyre much appreciated! My doctor will not allow me to have a laxative because he says it causes rebound Constipation. So I can have benefiber and such... but today ive been able to survive on just tylenol so Im hoping that will help my bowels....TMI: I am having small bowel movements, but theyre not solid at all. I guess because Im only consuming liquids? but it still feels like theres something in there....

My port site just feels like the fat is pulling down on it or something when I lay on my side...my butt is so sore from laying on my freaking back! Im ready to sleep on my stomach again lol...

I havent had a big issue with hunger...but I am having problems with seeing other people eat and wanting it....even though I dont feel hungry. I still have cravings and everything like that...

How do yall incorporate Protein in your diet? I was supposed to start Protein on the 4th day postop but cannot do the shakes that I have....I bought something called "Any Whey" and am going to start mixing it with my carnation instant Breakfast.

One more question and then Im done I promise! lol

What Vitamins do yall take? I have chewable but theyre huge and disgusting...so I bought gummy vitamins but Im worried I shouldnt do those since theyre Gummy and sticky?

once again sorry for all of the questions!

for clear protien try the Special K drink. not too bad. Also it gets better quickly, i too had troble sleeping the first week or so. took the pain med at night that put me to sleep. The sholder pain is usually gas too. Just dont rush things.

Take care

ross

I was a week post-opt yesterday and went and had my stapes taken out. I am still on what my doctor calls "full liquids" (protein shakes, Clear Liquids, and strained fat-free cream soups). I dont get to start soft foods for another week. I am not really having the "get this out of me" as much as "what have you done to your body". I think that these reactions are normal and my nurse warned me about them. I am sure that it gets better from here!!

TMI: I am having small bowel movements, but theyre not solid at all.

Just want to let you know that in the post-op class I had today, they said this is normal. And, I've had the same thing and so did the lady sitting next to me. Mine is slowly getting more solid. Sorry, more TMI!!! :tongue:

Just want to let you know that in the post-op class I had today, they said this is normal. And, I've had the same thing and so did the lady sitting next to me. Mine is slowly getting more solid. Sorry, more TMI!!! :tongue:

thank you so so much! that makes me feel a ton better!

Wow reading this makes me feel super human or something..

I had surgery at 9:30 am on Friday 12/18 and I was off pain meds completely by Sunday and only used them sparingly since I knew they would slow my intestinal track.

I stayed upright from Friday to Sunday night (sleeping in a recliner until monday night) and walked walked walked.. My gas "pain" was gone by Sunday, lil' twinge every now and then in my left shoulder but nothing to take meds or gas-x for.

BM came back solid and normal Sunday afternoon. Monday I ventured out, worked and shopped, I could tell I overdid it but I came home and relaxed. sleeping in bed helped, I woke up this morning feeling about 98%...

I have a strong belief in natural healing and that your body is it's own best medicine. Gas-x much like cold medicine just prolongs the problem. Subdues the symptoms but doesn't "cure" it.

I used gas-x the first day and half but I realized it needed to come out. Once I stopped using it and just walked it quickly went away. Don't get me wrong, I'm still gassy but not gross and uncomfortable or in pain.

Listen to what your body is telling you, you'll hear what it needs.

I'm supposed to be on Clear liquids, my body told me "ok but add some food in there" and I did and I've been fine. My follow up calls with the doctor, they were impressed with how well I'm doing, though upset I wasn't adhering to the post-op diet; they can't say too much because of how well I'm doing (down 32lbs as well, including pre-op diet).

As for Vitamins I'm taking Disney princess gummies 4 of them. The bottle says 2 (even for adults) but I figure I can use the extra since my food and Protein intake is down.

They taste good, a lil' too good. I had to remind myself they were Vitamins and not candy.

But the gummies are fine, they'll disolve just like Jello.

Also I add a lil' greek yogurt to everything, if I'm eating Jello, I mix it in, broth, etc... it's so high in Protein. The Fage 0% has 20grams of protein the violka something brand has 24grams. Between that and the chicken salad I've been craving I've been keeping my protein up which is one of the most important things at this stage.

I hope this helps.. maybe it's the 5 yrs of research I did prior to doing this, or the fact that I just listen to my body, but I'm doing better than most and I'm glad of that. If you or anyone has any questions I can help you with, please feel free to ask.

Benefiber, Water, Protein, and walking. sleeping with a pillow to support your abdomen and back will help the port pain. I am four months out and still have sometimes that my port is tender. Just take it a day atthe time, know that you're not along and most of, FOLLOW your doctor's directions. We're here to help but you are paying him/her for this service.... so use it.

Tomorrow I will be a full week post-op. Ive had ups and severe downs and today I feel better than I have been. Ive lost 32 lbs since 12/2/09 (which includes my preop diet) I feel great!

But I do have some questions....

Is it normal to get to the point where youre like "just get this thing out of me!!!!"

Im still having issues with gas....Im eating gasx strips like candy, basically....what do you guys prefer for constipation....todays been the first day I havent needed to take my Lortab...Ive been relying on Tylenol....which will help the Constipation, but is there any other tips or tricks to get rid of gas/constipation? Ive been walking up and down my hall several times a day.

Also, my port site hurts pretty bad....is that normal?? when I lay on my side it feels like something is pulling down on the site or something? its hard to describe....

sorry for all the questions and the book I wrote lol!

any tips or encouragement would be greatly appreciated!

awww! sweety I had trouble like that as well especially with the gas n port pain. for the gas sit down but straight up n rock bk n forth might sound crazy but it helped me. as far as the port pain when the gas go away the pain may lighten up. u should have been given a pamplet when u went for ur visit 2 start ur pre-op liquids. in the pamplet it tells u how 2 care for ur scars. u might have that Fluid in u n it will drain. its going 2 b sore until all the fluids is out of the biggest scar area where ur port is. still chk with ur doc, I hope it gets better 4 u