Jump to content

Hello! Welcome to the Largest Bariatric Surgery Community Online!

Welcome to BariatricPal.com, the largest weight loss surgery social network in the world! Our goal is to provide a unique platform for patients and potential patients alike that enables you to make informed choices involving your surgery decisions as well as providing you the support you need to meet your goals. Sign up now to access exclusive member features!

Join our community. It's free!

How common are complications?

331
Views
Started by SpartanPrincess, Oct 02, 2013 5:11 AM
8 replies to this topic
8 replies to this topic

    SpartanPrincess

    Expert Member

  • Posts: 103
  • Joined: Sep 2013
  • Gender: Female
  • Surgery: LAP-BAND
  • Surgeon: George Fielding
  • Surgery Date: Jan 2014
  • Height: 5 feet 11 inches
  • Starting Weight: 283
  • Weight Lost: 22
  • Current Weight: 261
  • Goal Weight: 175
  • BMI: 36.4
Posted October 2, 2013 - 5:11 AM

#1
IM reading the other forums and people
Complain of complications such as coughing not being able to swallow and clots. How common are these things


    WhispersOfAngel

    Expert Member

  • Posts: 144
  • Joined: May 2013
  • Gender: Female
  • Location: FLORIDA
  • Surgery: LAP-BAND
  • Surgeon: Tiffany Jessee
  • Surgery Date: Aug 2013
  • Height: 5 feet 1 inches
Posted October 2, 2013 - 5:44 AM

#2
Well, that's a vast array of complications. Any procedure will carry a risk of complications, that's just life. With banding becoming more popular, there are more and more 'band patients', so the amount of cases with complications will increase, but the percentage of complications are still very small. This is where you and your WL surgeon should discuss YOUR health and weigh the options if banding would benefit you and your health or not. I think in most cases, it would help most obese patients. There is probably a small, select number of patients that are more at risk than your average band patient, due to breathing and cardiac complications, etc. In my opinion, banding was well worth the risk, although that risk was small. I've had no complications. Best wishes to you! :)

“Fear? What has a man to do with fear? Chance rules our lives, and the future is all unknown. Best live as we may, from day to day.”
― Sophocles, Oedipus Rex


    Mis73

    Bariatric Legend

  • Posts: 7,482
  • Joined: Jan 2012
  • Gender: Female
  • Location: NONE
  • Surgery: LAP-BAND
  • Surgery Date: Jan 2012
  • Height: 5 feet 4 inches
  • Weight Lost: 232 lbs
  • BMI: 32.4
  • My Blogs
Posted October 2, 2013 - 6:07 AM

#3
Statistically speaking, you only have a 5% chance of complications if you follow the band rules and doctor's instructions. The other 95% screwed up in some way (band too tight and over-eating the most common) and caused the complications themselves.

Blood clots have nothing to do with band. They're a risk after any surgery.


    ☠carolinagirl☠

    NC girl trying to get healthy



  • Posts: 8,941
  • Joined: Feb 2012
  • Gender: Female
  • Location: NC
  • Surgery: LAP-BAND
  • Surgeon: Paul Enochs
  • Surgery Date: Jun 2012
  • Height: 5 feet 2 inches
  • Starting Weight: 336
  • Weight Lost: 170
  • Current Weight: 166
  • Goal Weight: 155
  • BMI: 30.4
  • My Blogs
Posted October 2, 2013 - 6:08 AM

#4
i am 15 months post op
no swallowing issues (i chew slow and alot and small bites) no coughing and no clots (they gave me a shot for two weeks after surgery to help prevent this) ....complications come with any medical procedure not just WLS....sometimes it happens and sometimes it dont
who can say.......but if you research, follow your dr's instructions and do the best you can, you may just improve your health with wls...its not a sure thing and results will vary from person to person...

best of luck


    SpartanPrincess

    Expert Member

  • Posts: 103
  • Joined: Sep 2013
  • Gender: Female
  • Surgery: LAP-BAND
  • Surgeon: George Fielding
  • Surgery Date: Jan 2014
  • Height: 5 feet 11 inches
  • Starting Weight: 283
  • Weight Lost: 22
  • Current Weight: 261
  • Goal Weight: 175
  • BMI: 36.4
Posted October 2, 2013 - 6:18 AM

#5
Thanks ladies. I'm such a worry wart and sometimes Researching the internet really doesn't help


    B-52

    Bariatric Legend

  • Posts: 3,252
  • Joined: Feb 2011
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: NEW JERSEY
  • Surgery: LAP-BAND
  • Surgery Date: Jan 2011
Posted October 2, 2013 - 7:42 AM

#6
I do not feel it is as common audit appears....remember, like yourself, the overwhelming majority of people who post here and other website are those looking for answers and needing support....
There are many people who are very happy, successful, and have no reason to come around here that much, if at all.....

It is like the support groups at my Bariatric Center who did my surgery......I went to a few, in the beginning.....as did many of my peers...now none of us attend unless invited....why would I want to go?


    ChicagoRose

    Aspiring Evangelist

  • Posts: 543
  • Joined: Jun 2012
  • Gender: Female
  • Location: ILLINOIS
  • Surgery: LAP-BAND
  • Surgeon: Van Vallina
  • Surgery Date: Mar 2013
  • Height: 5 feet 4 inches
  • Starting Weight: 260
  • Weight Lost: 72
  • Current Weight: 188
  • Goal Weight: 160
  • BMI: 32.3
  • My Blogs
Posted October 2, 2013 - 9:19 AM

#7
Look closely at the people who post complications. Typically they are not going for regular maintenance, are going to clinics that over fill, or are not eating the band diet. For me, the risk was FAR worth the reward. Best choice I have ever made.


    GuyMontag

    Bariatric Evangelist

  • Posts: 916
  • Joined: Jun 2006
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: SPACE
  • Surgeon: Richard Stahl
  • Height: 7 feet 11 inches
Posted October 2, 2013 - 9:37 AM

#8
No commentary, just some info from Allergan and some helpful studies to answer your question.

Allergan, the manufacturer of the Lap Band, published the following as part of their Patient Safety Information.
“In the United States clinical study, with 3-year follow-up reported, 88% of the 299 patients had one or more adverse events, ranging from mild, moderate, to severe. Nausea and vomiting (51%), gastroesophageal reflux (regurgitation) (34%), band slippage/pouch dilatation (24%) and stoma obstruction (stomach-band outlet blockage) (14%) were the most common post-operative complications. In the study, 25% of the patients had their band systems removed, two-thirds of which were following adverse events.”

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20563663

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20589514

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20496124


    feelinggood

    Expert Member

  • Posts: 188
  • Joined: Dec 2012
  • Gender: Female
  • Location: KS
  • Surgery: LAP-BAND
  • Surgeon: Pedro Santiago
  • Surgery Date: Jan 2013
  • Height: 5 feet 5 inches
  • Starting Weight: 240
  • Weight Lost: 105
  • Current Weight: 135
  • Goal Weight: 140
  • BMI: 22.5
Posted October 2, 2013 - 12:53 PM

#9
i look at it in 2 ways. there are side effects then there are complications that need intervention. side effects are generally attributed to being too tight, taking too big of bites, not chewing well, not drinking enough water or eating enough protein, etc. these side effects are fairly easy to remedy and i wouldn't consider them complications although they the effects might feel like complications if there is pbing, coughing, aspiration, swelling, etc.. But most of these can be taken care of with an unfill or following the band rules. things that need intervention i would consider complications are slippage, erosion, esophageal dis-mobility, band rejection, port or tubing problems, etc. These things can be self induced by not not following rules or can happen through no fault of your own. Bariatric surgery, no matter which one, has it's own set of side effects and complications. We are all motivated to have WLS because we need to lose weight. They all work to help us lose weight but it's reasonable to think you will not be in the small percent who will suffer a serious complication. But we should all do the research and make a decision the risk is worth it or not. And which procedure will best suit your lifestyle.


0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Status Updates

  • Photo
      Sep 01
    BladeFox

    Went shopping this weekend and everything in 18 women's. I look and feel...

    Show comments (2)
  • Photo
      Sep 01
    HalloweenBaby24

    A week before surgery, Not feeling nervous just feeling numb about the whole...

    Show comments (3)
  • Photo
      Sep 01
    naturalbabe77

    I just placed an order for a nectar protein sampler from bariatric pantry. I...

    Show comments (5)
View All Updates

Topics with No Reply