Hello! Welcome to the Largest Bariatric Surgery Community Online!

Welcome to BariatricPal.com, the largest weight loss surgery social network in the world! Our goal is to provide a unique platform for patients and potential patients alike that enables you to make informed choices involving your surgery decisions as well as providing you the support you need to meet your goals. Sign up now to access exclusive member features!

Join our community. It's free!

Did you "transition" into the liquid diet?

Views
Started by rather be scrapbooking, Oct 20, 2010 11:38 AM
18 replies to this topic
Share this topic with all your friends:

18 replies to this topic

Posted October 20, 2010 - 11:38 AM

I am hopefully having the lap band in mid December. When you were getting ready for the 2 week liquid diet, did you just go into it cold turkey? Or did you start the weeks before with the protein shakes to get your body used to them? Just looking for some tips to have a successful liquid diet, especially since it will be right around Thanksgiving and the holidays. Thanks for any help- advice!

honk

• Surgery: LAP-BAND
Posted October 20, 2010 - 1:25 PM

For a couple weeks presurgery I did protein shakes for breakfast and dinner with a reasonably sized lunch. My surgeo did not have a presurgery diet (But I had lost 50 pounds since my consult so that may have had something to do with it.). I made my shakes with 2/3 cup fat free milk, 1/3 cup frozen milk ("milk cubes"), ice cubes, Whey isolate protein power, fat/sugar free pudding powder (2 tablespoons), sometimes Davinchi sugar free syrup, splendra. Mixed in a Hamilton Beach Blender.

Mariasha

Posted October 20, 2010 - 1:50 PM

Cold Turkey.

Went out for dinner the night before and had some sushi, a massive rib steak, and some drinks to top it all off.

Then started my shakes the next morning ;-)

bwhitty

• Surgeon: Bryan Anderson
  • My Blogs
Posted October 20, 2010 - 1:54 PM

Luckily my surgeon doesn't do the 2 week liquid prior to surgery. He has you lose 10% of your weight instead. The diet they give you is slim pickins! So as another poster.. went to Olive Garden the night before and went right on to two protein shakes a day and one decent high protein meal a day. As of today... about 10lbs to lose and I'm good to go.. :)

mnguest

• Surgeon: Charles Svendsen
  • Surgery Date: Oct 2010
  • Starting Weight: 225 lbs
  • Weight Lost: 0 lbs
  • Current Weight: 225 lbs
  • Goal Weight: 148 lbs
  • BMI: 36.3
Posted October 20, 2010 - 2:03 PM

I started the 10 day liquid diet yesterday and no, I did NOT ease into it. I am already getting sick of the Carnation Instant Breakfast shakes so why start them early? I am not sure if I can actually DO this for 10 days. (well 8 days now) but I am going to try. I also bought some optifast which I mix with ice and water in a blender and it is wonderful. I may try some broth tonight because something warm in my stomach would be nice. I already feel like my clothes are loose. Does beer count as a liquid? Just kidding gave that up a week ago.

Posted October 20, 2010 - 11:14 PM

Thanks for the replies!
I never thought about getting tired of the protein shakes before it is even time to start them. I guess I will stick to what I am doing and just start the pre op diet cold turkey, so to speak!

sandiegolapband

• Starting Weight: 210 lbs
  • Current Weight: 210 lbs
  • Goal Weight: 120 lbs
  • BMI: 38.4
Posted October 20, 2010 - 11:38 PM

Does everyone have to do a liquid diet first? How long do you have to do it, or does it depend on how much weight you need to lose? What else do you need to do before the surgery?

Edited by sandiegolapband, October 20, 2010 - 11:43 PM.
add more

jguttery

• Surgeon: John Groves
  • Surgery Date: Nov 2010
  • Starting Weight: 325 lbs
  • Weight Lost: 17 lbs
  • Current Weight: 308 lbs
  • Goal Weight: 195 lbs
  • BMI: 41.8
Posted October 20, 2010 - 11:41 PM

No liquid only pre-op diet for me, but it did slowly transition into my pre-op diet a few days before. But did not have any protein drinks until the day I started my pre-op diet. I was tempted, but I wanted to use the protein drinks as a way to tell my brain...THIS IS DAY ONE, YOU'RE ON YOUR WAY!!!

John

Edited by jguttery, October 21, 2010 - 8:28 PM.

sandiegolapband

• Starting Weight: 210 lbs
  • Current Weight: 210 lbs
  • Goal Weight: 120 lbs
  • BMI: 38.4
Posted October 20, 2010 - 11:45 PM

What does the pre-op diet entail? I'm still in the very beginning of this journey, and know almost nothing. I've decided I'm definately doing it though, so at least I know that much :wink2:

Edited by sandiegolapband, October 20, 2010 - 11:46 PM.
spelling error

jguttery

• Surgeon: John Groves
  • Surgery Date: Nov 2010
  • Starting Weight: 325 lbs
  • Weight Lost: 17 lbs
  • Current Weight: 308 lbs
  • Goal Weight: 195 lbs
  • BMI: 41.8
Posted October 20, 2010 - 11:58 PM

What does the pre-op diet entail? I'm still in the very beginning of this journey, and know almost nothing. I've decided I'm definately doing it though, so at least I know that much :wink2:

Every surgeon is different, some require a liquid only diet, some put you and the Atkins, some it's High Protein/Low Carb.... and other's it's no diet at all.

Edited by jguttery, October 21, 2010 - 8:28 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      Apr 18
    betty_s

less than 3 weeks until banding day! havent felt nervous yet, just excited.

Show comments (1)
View All Updates

Trending Topics