Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-Bander in NC - Scared to Death.

I am 5'3"(and a half)...lol...with a BMI of 46.

I have hypothyroid, high blood pressure, and take meds for my heart racing and anxiety. I just recently had a sleep study and have sleep apnea, not that severe, but I was to get a Bi-Pap machine, with oxygen.

As I was leaving the doctor's office (for the resluts of the sleep study) he made a flippant comment to the effect of lose 50 lbs and you won't need the Bi-pap.

After finding out that the Bi-pap and oxygen would cost approx $3000, and I might not even like it, I decided to pursue other options.

That's how I came to investigate LAP-BAND® surgery. I had a co-worker who's sister had it done 6 weeks ago and some other acquaintances who have had gastric bypass.

I have had my initial consultation with the surgeon, a dietician and the psych consult this week. I have an appt on Tuesday to have the lab, UGI, EKG, etc.

Not sure how quickly I could have the surgery after that, but it is happenening so fast. It is scaring me to death. I don't deal with change very well, even if it's positive.

From the information I have received and what I have read on the forums, I am feeling overwhelmed. :smile:

Any advice/support is welcome.

-Nancy

Dear Nancy,

I was also scared and a lot overwhelmed when I first started this trip. There is a lot of information to absorb and if you have problems dealing with change, it can to be a bit much. Here's what I would suggest: Take a deep breath and try to focus on one issue at a time. Read as much as you can on the subject. There is a very good book out there titled - Bariatric surgery for Dummies (or something like that)- that talks about all the different types of bariatric surgery and everything about each one. I started with a seminar from my surgeons office, worked thru the book and came to this website, a lot! The pre-op tests will take some time and if you are using insurance, they may require you to take at a minimum 3 months before you can have the surgery. That is useful, "considering it" time, for you. I did all of that and had my surgery last week. Since I have type II diabetes, high blood pressure and sleep apnea, I can understand all your concerns. I have been off of my diabetes meds since the day before surgery (my numbers are consistantly low) only on high blood pressure (and may come off those in 3 months) and hopefully will be off my CPAP machine in 6 months. This option does work. It is not easy and you will find yourself wondering about it all the way, but for me, it is already accomplishing what I wanted it to do - get me off the meds! Please, take your time to think about it, don't feel rushed and use the resources that are out there. Then, it may not feel so overwhelming. Please feel free to contact me privately if you would like more support - elgrad@hotmail.com. I am also in North Carolina.

Be calm and breath deep.

Elgrad

Nancy,

I would suggest not rushing into it. I think we all go through the pre surgery anxiety immediately before surgery. However, if you've never had that period where you know this is right for you and it's definitely what you want, then I would wait a little while before committing. This is truly a life changing event. If you aren't ready for those changes, then you will be miserable and depressed and want it out a month after your surgery. Some part of you has to be ready to change. Because of the post op diet, there will be times when you are sure you will starve to death - but the desire for change will get you through it.

From my perspective, there are days that I just want to eat. That's what I've always done, so it's a habit. I feel very deprived and, frankly, pissed off when I can't eat the last bite of something that tastes good. But, if I eat it anyway, I get really pissed off because it hurts so bad.

It is an entire lifestyle change. Be sure you are ready before you commit. I don't regret the surgery for one minute, but there have been some difficult times to get through. It's not easy.

Good luck to you!

I am 5'3"(and a half)...lol...with a BMI of 46.

I have hypothyroid, high blood pressure, and take meds for my heart racing and anxiety. I just recently had a sleep study and have sleep apnea, not that severe, but I was to get a Bi-Pap machine, with oxygen.

As I was leaving the doctor's office (for the resluts of the sleep study) he made a flippant comment to the effect of lose 50 lbs and you won't need the Bi-pap.

After finding out that the Bi-pap and oxygen would cost approx $3000, and I might not even like it, I decided to pursue other options.

That's how I came to investigate LAP-BAND®® surgery. I had a co-worker who's sister had it done 6 weeks ago and some other acquaintances who have had gastric bypass.

I have had my initial consultation with the surgeon, a dietician and the psych consult this week. I have an appt on Tuesday to have the lab, UGI, EKG, etc.

Not sure how quickly I could have the surgery after that, but it is happenening so fast. It is scaring me to death. I don't deal with change very well, even if it's positive.

From the information I have received and what I have read on the forums, I am feeling overwhelmed. :smile:

Any advice/support is welcome.

-Nancy

Nancy,

Did you go to a information seminar first? If you didn't, then yes this is going very fast! I had a seminar first, then had time to absorb everything. For me from start to finish it was a 4 month process.

Good luck in your decision.

Well, the results of the pre-testing were:

1. Hiatus Hernia

2. H Pylori (bacteria for ulcers)

3. Irregular EKG

4. Gallstones

So I had to get cardiac clearance, got that today, had to have stress test and have GI consult tomorrow and gallbladder surgery on 11/4.

Still info gathering and jumping hoops.

:(

Nancy,

It took me 6 months to be approved for my surgery and I had my hernia repaired and a cyst removed at the same time that they put my band in. Everytime I went to a seminar or to see my doctor before the surgery I felt overwhelmed. I was panic stricken and would give myself stomach aches over everything.

They give you so much information each time you meet with them that it is hard to process. Take notes and when your alone and have time to really review the information uninterrupted, go over the papers they gave you and the notes you took. You decide when the time is right to have the surgery, so schedule yours when your comfortable. There is no rush.

You dont have to learn everything right away, you just have to know enough to decided if the surgery is right for you and the basics in terms of what to expect after you have the surgery. I am still learning things about my band and I suspect will continue to learn new things for the next year.

I had my gallbladder removed two years ago and that surgery is similar except for the food restrictions.

Good Luck!!!