Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am scheduled for my lap-band in Sept. Going through the am I doing the right thing questions. I am wondering if yo yo dieting is over. I can lose weight,,,I have just never been able to keep it off. Any information would be most appriciated!!!

Thank you, Sherry

I am right in the same boat with you! Every diet, exercise program, gym membership, anything I have tried has worked for me. I am an expert at dieting, but never can keep it off. I want a new approach to eating well, not dieting. I hope the lap band will be that for me. I am willing to work hard to lose and I am praying the lap band will be the tool to help me not go back to bad habits and gain it all back.

Deb

I'm 7 yrs post op. (successful). My observation is if you are a sweets junkie & cant diet & leave them out, then the lapband wont help you cause you can still puree a mars bar/drink thick shakes etc. But if you can follow diets but weren't successful, the lapband will work cause the Portion Control is there for you. It's been a life saver for me. I ate regular size meals like anyone else, but was big and got bigger. I did like my carbs, but now I eat very little of them, and don't worry, you'll be so happy with the weight dropping off you, you wont miss anything! I still enjoy things I loved, but just small amounts and I savour it and that's enough for me. No more dieting! In fact, I'm having a scotch and diet coke and a couple of salt & vinegar chips atm. Your life isn't over with this surgery. It's just 10 times better, imo. All the best

Well, I was a sweet tooth and still am but have been very successful with the band. I have simply learned how to eat normally, and eat sweet things only occasionally. I lost steadily and well, WAY past the 60% of excess weight that the average person loses, to lose about 120% of my excess weight.

I eat ALL foods in small portions and i run for 45 minutes a day.

I've kept all the weight off and never regained more than 4lb which happened when I thought I might have a small unfill - didnt figure i needed as much fill for maintenance. I had a small regain of 4lb and then that levelled off.

I've maintained for about 2 years now, and I do very occasionally commit carbicide and go on days long binges of eating nothing healthy, occasionally before my period I just go off the rails totally. But the portion size remains small and i keep running daily and I never ever gain weight.

I think the band CAN work for sweet lovers. I just choose not to eat them like I used to but if I"m going to pig out, its still the same foods it always was.

I am still waiting to hear from my insurance. I have a BMI of 41, type II diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, apnea and a c-pap machine, reflux, asthma, you name it, I've got it. I have met all the requirements and have been waiting since I saw the surgeon on July 16. I am so ready to do it.

Deb:tongue_smilie:

Well, I was a sweet tooth and still am but have been very successful with the band. I have simply learned how to eat normally, and eat sweet things only occasionally. I lost steadily and well, WAY past the 60% of excess weight that the average person loses, to lose about 120% of my excess weight.

I eat ALL foods in small portions and i run for 45 minutes a day.

I've kept all the weight off and never regained more than 4lb which happened when I thought I might have a small unfill - didnt figure i needed as much fill for maintenance. I had a small regain of 4lb and then that levelled off.

I've maintained for about 2 years now, and I do very occasionally commit carbicide and go on days long binges of eating nothing healthy, occasionally before my period I just go off the rails totally. But the portion size remains small and i keep running daily and I never ever gain weight.

I think the band CAN work for sweet lovers. I just choose not to eat them like I used to but if I"m going to pig out, its still the same foods it always was.

Your amazing Jachut. Good for you! I can't get over your tight body! We're about the same age & I've had tt/lower body lift/revisions & 2 boob lifts & I still wobble like a huge bag of jello! It's horrible to see me run. I have to for hockey & it's not easy. I'm the same re: good or bad eating...scales stay the same. :w00t:

I am still waiting to hear from my insurance. I have a BMI of 41, type II diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, apnea and a c-pap machine, reflux, asthma, you name it, I've got it. I have met all the requirements and have been waiting since I saw the surgeon on July 16. I am so ready to do it.

Deb:tongue_smilie:

Good luck Deb. I'm sure it will happen & it's gr8 to hear you say you're so ready; I was too & I think it definately helps you to be dead certain & eager to get on with it. I think in time you will notice 90% of your health problems get better & even disappear. My knees stopped hurting after I dropped the 1st 22lbs, my psorises went, my back pain lessened, my depression left me, my cholesterol when down, my energy returned. My friends the same; & she even stopped needing blood pressure tablets. Hope it happens for you really soon. Good luck again. :w00t:

Sherry,

I've been researching band surgery for many months now. I've done most of the preliminary things and just need to make my decision now. I so understand your apprehension.

Just when I think I've made the decision to go ahead, I read something that derails me and makes me second guess that decision.

I hope you will forgive me for tagging a question onto your thread, it seems relevant to me.

The information session I attended told us that 10% of band patients will need some repair in their lifetime.

I read a post on another thread In Lap-Band Complications that stated something like this, "It's not a matter of if something will go wrong with your band, the question is when will it go wrong."

I don't know what to believe. I'm with you Sherry, I am also a yoyo dieter, am I doing the right thing?

Is it only a matter of time until the band will need repair?

My doctor was quite upfront about the fact that although the band itself is designed to, and probably will last forever in your body, the balloon part probably wont. If you get banded at say 20, then it is virtually a given that you will need to be rebanded at some point in time. Its a mechanical device with a changeable part that will probably wear out. But they really just dont know!

I personally find it very strange that some people have posted that they are planning banding, and also planning and saving for a mountain of cosmetic surgery afterwards and then suddenly pull up short on this issue. They say "whoa, I might need MORE surgery? This may not be the procedure for me". Um, forgive me but in amongst tummy tucks, gall bladder removals, breast reconstructions and face lifts, who *really* is going to worry about a 40 minute operation 15 years down the track to replace something that wore out?

Now, as to complications such as erosion, slippage and other evils such as cronic reflux, I dont think that's a "when" issue at all, its definitely an "if". But I think you need to be realistic that complication rates with the band are higher than what you're led to believe, becuase you must work with a band and many many people do that terribly! And then some people's bodies just dont handle bands well. Those complications dont tend to be reported, the figures you read are always slippage and erosion ones.

Do your research and make the decision based on what YOU believe, dont let what is probably biased and disillusioned negativity sway you.

Sherry,

I've been researching band surgery for many months now. I've done most of the preliminary things and just need to make my decision now. I so understand your apprehension.

Just when I think I've made the decision to go ahead, I read something that derails me and makes me second guess that decision.

I hope you will forgive me for tagging a question onto your thread, it seems relevant to me.

The information session I attended told us that 10% of band patients will need some repair in their lifetime.

I read a post on another thread In Lap-Band Complications that stated something like this, "It's not a matter of if something will go wrong with your band, the question is when will it go wrong."

I don't know what to believe. I'm with you Sherry, I am also a yoyo dieter, am I doing the right thing?

Is it only a matter of time until the band will need repair?

I understand your fears. I've had my band for 7yrs & haven't had any problems with it. 2 of my friends were banded by my surgeon & they both had slippage & needed it replaced (going well now a few years on). Techniques & the band itself are getter better constantly & this should translate as fewer problems resulting. Ask your surgeon about his statistics ie: how many has he done, how many redo's, how many & what kind of complications has there been? etc. If he wont gladly share this with you, consider looking for someone else. Good luck

I have researched,,,,,tried everything to talk myself out of it,,,but I just believe this may be the the way I would be able to keep off the weight!!! I just believe that after I lose the weight this time,,,this tool could help me keep it off. I know I am much healthier/happier at a lower bmi/weight. I know that I should be able to control my weight! I also know that because I can not, it is a disease that controls me. I guess that is why I really want to beat it!!!!

I have researched,,,,,tried everything to talk myself out of it,,,but I just believe this may be the the way I would be able to keep off the weight!!! I just believe that after I lose the weight this time,,,this tool could help me keep it off. I know I am much healthier/happier at a lower bmi/weight. I know that I should be able to control my weight! I also know that because I can not, it is a disease that controls me. I guess that is why I really want to beat it!!!!

I'm with you Sherry. I'm ready to win this battle and I know I can't do it alone, been there, done that. I need something to help me.

I know there are no guarantees in life but I want to know the odds are good and the risks are low before I go under the knife, alter my body and affect my ability to take nurishment.

I know the way I'm living now is hurting my health, so what is worse?

This is not an easy decision and I really appreciate the insight and information from everyone on this forum.

Just wanted to let you know that I did it!!!! My surgery was 9/16/09. I feel great!!!! Thank you very much for answering my posts. Your replies really helped me make my decision.

Sherry

Just wanted to thank you for answering my posts. Your replies helped me with my decision. I was banded 9/16/09 and I am feeling wonderful!!!

Sherry