Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Day OF and AFTER surgery?

I was just wondering how the day after (and day of) surgery went. From the time you wake up in the hospital to to the time to go to bed. Are there certain things you found you couldn't do, ie. read because you were too tired? I'm just curious how painful it was and how hungry you were--because many people's answers vary. How did you stay occupied? How did you cope? And what would you recommend if doing it all over again?

Aside from the occasional sip of Water and broth, I slept most of the time. I would wake up take a walk around the hospital and go back to sleep.

The pain wasn't too bad. I would say it was more of a discomfort. I guess it just depends on your tolerance for pain. I've had two c-sections so for me the band surgery was a walk in the park. I don't think I felt hungry for several days but I have read many posts on here of people who were hungry coming out of surgery.

I would suggest perhaps bringing a book or magazine in case you feel up to reading. If you don't, just leave it in your suitcase. For me, there isn't anything I would do different. Just roll with the punches is my advise to you.

Good luck to you.

I was in a lot of pain. I slept a lot. I walked a lot

:)

Thanks! I am just eager to have this surgery already! 2 weeks of liquid diet is beyond e-x-c-e-s-s-i-v-e and I have nothing but 2 more weeks of liquids to look forward to after surgery!

I felt great!!! I was so glad to have the band. My surgery was in the afternoon and it was evening by the time I got home. I slept on my left side (the one with the port) the first night..although i did use a pillow to help brace and protect it. Night 2 I slept on my stomach (my norm). I felt wonderful but hungry. I drank easily and it was no trouble to get my Water in (I was on Clear Liquids, no Protein shakes even) I felt great and just took tylenol (the caplets, not even liquid) I was sore as if I'd done situps to exhaustion. My throat wasn't even sore for the 2nd surgery (keep in mind I had 2 surgeries within 17 days of each other) I felt great and recovered very quickly.

I give a large credit about that to my skilled surgeon.

I felt amazing the first day. My surgery start time was at 730am and I was at home by 10am. I took a 2 hour nap, and then was up walking all over the house, invitied family over to visit, watched movies and played cards with my mom, etc. Day 2 and 3 werent' as great as that, but they weren't bad either. As others have mentioned, I wasn't in pain, just more of a general soreness/discomfort as if I did a million situps - I was able to stop taking the narcotic pain meds within 48 hours after surgery. My biggest problem was severe Co2 gas pain that was bugging my left shoulder, this took about 5 days to go away.

I was not very hungry on day 1. Day 2 I wasn't hungry but ready to eat, as well as day 3 so everything tasted good. After that I was ready for some real food but couldn't have it!

Right now I can comfortably say that I would do it all again. I'm so happy with the changes that I've seen thus far, not just physically but mentally too. I'm excited to meet the challenges ahead.

Thanks! I am just eager to have this surgery already! 2 weeks of liquid diet is beyond e-x-c-e-s-s-i-v-e and I have nothing but 2 more weeks of liquids to look forward to after surgery!

Generally you don't get nearly as hungry after the surgery as you would be right now, but everyone is different. Two weeks of liquids after surgery was much easier for me than the two days prior to surgery.

The morning of...showered and left to be at the surgical center by 7:30 am. Not really any pre-op stuff the day of except nothing to eat or drink after midnight. Of course I had the 2 week liquid diet before. Surgery took about 35-45 minutes and we were back on the road home by 10:30 am and home by 11:45 am. I took a pillow with me in the morning to put over my stomach for the way home and I would suggest that to anybody. Also drank a little juice on the way home.

Once we got home, I walked a little bit around the house and went to sleep for a couple of hours. I remember feeling pretty darn good considering the 5 incisions made. No discomfort at all the first day.

On the second day...oh mother! I developed gas pains in my upper chest and left shoulder. General soreness at my incision sites and the port site was the most tender. I have to say the incisions never really bothered me that much, but the gas pains in my shoulder lasted about 4-5 weeks! My heating pad and I got to best buddies for a long time. That and walking around and moving my arms around alot.

My appetite started to return in the second week and I was still on liquids. I would say the absolutely hardest part for me was a whole month of liquid dieting. Looking back, I can't believe I did it! I guess when you want something that bad, you'll do what you have to do!

Best of luck to all the newbies. I look at the last few months as an experience. For all the good and the bad, the outcome of being healthier and happier and feeling like I fit in will be my reward. :)

I felt really great. I was up and about an hour after surgery. I felt totally fine, just a little sore from the gas. That went away in a few days. I did walk alot which totally helped. I took my pain medicine for a few days to help with the gas pain and it did. I would just be mellow and walk! It was a breeze!!

I just got banded a week ago. The week prior I was on a liquid diet. I had to be at the hospital 6AM and was leaving by 1030AM the same day. When I got home I took a nap and mostly watched movies/TV the rest of the day and sipped on some Water. The 2nd day I drank more, I was really thirsty. I only took my pain meds twice. There hasn't been much pain, just some discomfort, it's like I did 10,000 sit ups. Laughing and hiccuping kinda hurt right now.

Good luck to you. You'll do great!

The day of for me sucked because I was told my surgery would be first and it was actually not until 10! So I was up very early 4:30 am to be exact since I was told to be there at 5:30! Beyond that it went without any problems. After the surgery I slept forever! I wasn't in a ton of pain but I did hit my pain button just in anticipation. In fact even if it was out of my hand I found it and was hitting it excessively the nurse kept coming in! I told her it wasn't in my hand and it was up by my head and I was totally knocked out. So I was in post op for a while because they ad to wait for a patient to leave in order to get me into a room. Luckily after that wait I got a private room! I would suggest to bring your own pillow whether you are staying over night or not. I slept with my pillow on my belly and continue to because I have animals who walk on me at night! And on the way home you can put the pillow between you and you seatbelt for cushion since it may rub on your sutures. I did nothing but watch tv had I brought anything else I wouldn't have used it. I found sitting up at a right angle was painful until the second day. Ask for your hand to be numbed when you get your IV it makes it more comfortable. But I slept in fact the first few days thats all I did. I got up and walked but beyond that I slept!

My surgery was at 7AM and I got to the hospital are 5:45AM. I was VERY nervous. When I got there I had to check in, pee in a cup (pregnancy test), fill out some papers, etc. They took me back - my mom came with me. Both of my parents and my fiancee came to the hospital but they only allowed one person to come back to the prep area with me. I put on a gown, got into the bed etc. I also went to the bathroom a few times because my surgeon said that I would not need to be catheterized if I felt like I had emptied my bladder adequately. I then said goodbye to my mom, and they wheeled me in the bed into the waiting room. Her I had my IV placed. My surgeon came to say hi to me and to see how I was doing. Eventually they wheeled me into the OR. This was the most freaky part. Its freezing in there and I had to just move myself onto the operating table from the bed. There were SO many people in there. The experience was interesting. My surgeon asked me what kind of music I liked :tongue2: I think he then put something close to what I said on in the OR. They strapped my arms down (for safety) and then they told me they were going to give me something to relax myself. The next thing I remember was waking up in recovery. I actually stayed in recovery for a couple of hours. I was sleeping primarily. My surgeon came to visit me, along with my family. My surgeon secured a private room for me, and I chose to stay overnight. I wanted to be sure I was getting enough liquids (achieved by the IV fluids) and I wanted to be sure there would be no complications. The last thing I wanted was to go home, and then have to come back for something.

I didn't really feel like reading or anything. I slept a lot and when I was up I was walking around in the halls and sometimes I moved to a chair and sat there for awhile. I also watched tv a lot.

2nd or 3rd day post-op I went for 7-8 block walk. I wasn't in too much pain. I took liquid tylenol with codeine before bed for about the 1st week (it just helped me get to sleep since I was still pretty uncomfortable lying in my flat bed). My doctor got most of the gas out of me before closing me up, so I had hardly any gas pains (I had some pains in my neck 2nd day post-op, but it went away after a day).

All-in-all this was a pretty easy surgery and I am so pleased with my results and the way I feel so far!! Good luck!

Thank you all for sharing. Everyone's experience is insightful and helpful. I am ready to have surgery and have my pre-op appointment tomorrow but now just get to have the waiting game.

And i'm hoping the rest is easier than this pre-op diet!

My surgery was at 10:30 AM and I was home by 3:00 PM. Took a nap when I got home, read a little bit. I didn't have any pain just a little discomfort when I got up and down. I had mild gas which I felt in my left breast, and by the next afternoon I went to work.

Good Luck to you and stay on your liquids!! I know it's hard but you will have less problems if you follow your DRs. instructions. :tongue2:

My doctor wanted me there by 6 a.m. Friday because I was the first one scheduled, at 7:30. Hubby and I got there at 5:20 (it's a 40-mile drive from home). Went to the staging area ... and waited. Since I had to stop taking my hormones 10 days before, I had a hot flash midmorning -- the first one I'd had since stopping the meds. (My hot flashes involve lots of dry heaving -- how pretty!) I found out later that I had gotten bumped to third and didn't get taken to preop staging until 4:30. Surgery was about 5:30. The knocking out was quick. I think I got the same stuff that Michael Jackson used. They started pumping it in and I had an icy-hot sensation in the left side of my body (where the IV was) and I was out in about 4 seconds.

Next thing I knew, I was in recovery and had nurses hovering around me as I woke up. They gave me a pillow for holding against my stomach if I coughed. (It has a diagram of the lap band on the stomach.) I think I was in my room by 7:30 or 8. (I know I missed "Jeopardy!") The way my doctor works it, patients get a quickie upper GI the next morning, so nothing by mouth until after. So I had nothing except a couple of sips of Water from Thursday evening until Saturday afternoon. Beef broth never tasted so good!

As for pain, it felt like a lot of the others have said, like I did a thousand situps. I took pain meds that night. Got home Saturday afternoon and was moving around the house pretty well. I've had very little pain and the gas hasn't been painful -- just plentiful. I returned to work 5 days after surgery. I could have gone back earlier, but I wanted a little time off.

As they say in the ads, your experience may vary. Good luck to all of you facing the knife.