Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So... I've been lurking on this website for atleast an hour a day for the past three weeks. Now that things are getting rough and my life is changing I think it's finally time to come out of the dark and introduce myself so I can get the support and encouragment that made me fall in love with this site.

I'm 19 and a sophmore at The University of Maryland, College Park. I'm 5'6" and 303 lbs. yuck. I've struggled with my weight ever since I can remember and have always been the biggest out of all of my friends. I've excused it for the past 5 years because I've been an athlete (Soccer, track, and rugby, and weight lifting) however, In february I broke my lovely athletic foot and gained 40 pounds!! This has really tipped me over the edge.

As far as where I am on my journey, I have my first apt. with my surgeon on wednesday of next week!! However, the main inspiration for this post is the fact that my mom is in this journey with me and has her own list of things I need to do before she gives me the go ahead and quite honestly. I have been screwing up big time! I think the fact that I am such a "dont wash a car before you take it to the car wash" type of girl, now that I know this surgery is in my future its like I'm eating worse than ever :juggle: and my mom is no joke. she WILL not let me get the surgery if I dont prove to her I can do this.

I told myself I wouldn't post until I had my surgery date but... I think GETTING to surgery is the half of it! and if I want to make this real to me. real to my mom. MY REALITY I've got to start seeking support and doing this.

I have no boyfriend, hubby, life partner, not even a booty call (or a worthy one i should say) : I WANT THAT

I dont have that college girl swagger : I WANT THAT

I dont have kids : I WANT THAT

I... want to start making memories, i want to live like I've never lived, I want....to be healthy: I WANT THIS :lol:

so ... thats it. thats all I got, I'm just here to meet some people at the same point I am on this journey, to get some encouragment from people ahead of me, and to learn about what my new life WILL be like.

GET AT ME :lol:

Hello and welcome! I really enjoyed your post! Your mom knows you best, of course, but the band REALLY helps you stick to a healthy eating schedule. You don't need to overindulge now because you WILL be able to eat later, most likey. I can still eat pizza, hamburgers, fries, enchiladas, lasagna...you name it. I just dont' eat it often and when I do, don't eat a lot of it. I eat a piece of pizza (no crust) and am full for about 4-6 hours. So...you do what your Mom says (LOL) because you aren't going to starve and be miserable forever. Show her you've got the juice!

There are some who are so tight they only eat what we call "sliders" (yogurt,Soups, ice cream) but that tightness is a choice. You'll always be in control.

Good luck!

I totally understand what you are saying, and am in the beginning stages of this process myself. I have had my first consultation, seminar and I meet the requirements, my status is pending insurance approval. I have been having the same problems as you with my cravings and diet completely out of control, but I KNOW I can do it and WILL do it with the band...you WILL do it too!! Good luck with everything.:juggle:

thanks so much Monkey I totally hear you, I will stick it out this was a huge wake up call gettin chewed out by my mom today. Matter of fact, she didnt even have to say many harsh words, she's got that mom tone and look.. i just went ahead and chewed myself out lol. and amwash, good luck on your approval. We can do this!! We WILL do this!

who and where is your surgeon if you dont mind me asking?

Good luck to you! This is a great site with lots of support and plenty of answers. Having a family member going thru this with you is wonderful. You and mom will certainly have some "bonding" moments....you can compare port site scars :juggle:. My sister and I are planning to support each other as we go forward on this journey. I know it'll be easier for both of us since we'd smack the other for bringing home Whoppers or something. We might end up fighting for the last Protein drink though.

Happy Banding,

PTG

I am going with True Results and my doctor is Ken Hollis in Houston,TX. I have read some of the other posts and have heard some good things about him. I am excited because I originally tried to go with Journeylite and was very disappointed with them so I switched to True Results. I am so glad I did it because I already feel 100% sure about the staff, facility, and safety. FYI we are in the same height/weight neighborhood I am 5'7 330 pounds....