Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm in my fifties, and depending on the day or my mood, I can argue effectively why having PS would be good or a foolish expenditure for vanity's sake. Having been obese for almost my entire life) there is hanging skin. I do have abdominal tissue hanging, but not enough that it is presenting significant health issues or itching or rashes. It just hangs there. As for my breasts...well, they are soon going to be meeting my toes!!! :sneaky::crying:

I would be self-pay for any PS, and therefore I really need to consider the cost of this versus how I might feel after. The psychological benefits versus the time off work, recovery time, any healing issues. Is it pride versus money? Vanity versus mortgage payments, and bills? Would I really get my 'money's worth' having a TT and/or BR at my age? Or should I just be happy that I am healthy, am in better shape than many women my age (at least according to my doc)...and just be content with that?

I've had LOTS of surgery in my life (my abdomen should have come with a zipper), and never had any problems, and have always been a quick healer. But is this taking too big a chance? Do you increase your chances of having some incident/complication with more and more surgeries?

I know the decision will be mine, but as I said, on any day I think YES and NO. :wink::confused:

Your thoughts are welcome (particularly if you are over 50)!

With a name like Tapshoes, I think you are a good candidate for PS. Of course, I could be projecting because I will be at least 58 before I am down enough for PS and intend to have the TT and boob job. I set up a savings account that I call my PS account. We hopefully have many years to enjoy our new flat tummies and perky boobs and we are worth it!!!!

Best Wishes,

Mimi

Heck no your not too old!!!

I was 43 and 44 when I had my PS. I had been overwight a long long time, lose gain lose gain. So I was left with a great big belly, actually top and bottom flabby bellies and no matter how much weight I lose/lost they werent going away. Could I have just lived with it, sure becasue my health has greatly improved and that was the reason for the weight loss, But was I happy, No I hated that hangy skin. and my poor breasts well they were just deflated balloons that I stuffed into a padded bra everyday.

So I choose the have PS, and extended TT with Anchor cut, and breat implants with a small cresent lift. Am I happier, YOU bet I am, I have NEVER ever had a flat tummy till now!!! Its so sureal to look down and see my cookie,,,hehehhehe I can't explain it, But it has been worth every penny we paid and will be paying for the next 2 years. I was self pay and it's ok. Sure I would have loved for my insurance company to help out, But when we submitted and were denied, I appealed and denied again. It's ok tho, I look at it this way, The insurance CO. DIDN'T make me get fat, I did it to myself I ruined my skin and if they say no, then I have to accept it, and find my own way to help myself. (Just my own view on this)

I would do it again in a heartbeat!!!

Anyways, NO your not too old!!!

Kelly

I will be at least 58 before I am down enough for PS and intend to have the TT and boob job. I set up a savings account that I call my PS account. i

Thanks Mimi - it's nice to know I'm not the only person in my fifties thinking of this...and I wouldn't have given it a seocond thought were I in my 30's!

Heck no your not too old!!!

I was 43 and 44 when I had my PS...I choose the have PS, and extended TT with Anchor cut, and breat implants with a small cresent lift. Am I happier, YOU bet I am, I have NEVER ever had a flat tummy till now!!! But it has been worth every penny we paid and will be paying for the next 2 years. I would do it again in a heartbeat!!!

Thanks Kelly...you know, I never used to think of age, and truly in most things I don't, but for some reason it is on my mind as it relates to PS.

I have been investigating the types of TT (and Dr Shulman's thread has been a blessing), and breast lifts....but then every time I see the post op pics I take a deep breath and seriously reconsider. I mean, post any of my many surgeries, I have never recoiled from the look (even after my hysterectomy), but seeing in particular the tt pics I get the heebie-jeebies!

Thanks for your thoughts; I'd love to hear from more ladies...

Thanks Kelly...you know, I never used to think of age, and truly in most things I don't, but for some reason it is on my mind as it relates to PS.

I have been investigating the types of TT (and Dr Shulman's thread has been a blessing), and breast lifts....but then every time I see the post op pics I take a deep breath and seriously reconsider. I mean, post any of my many surgeries, I have never recoiled from the look (even after my hysterectomy), but seeing in particular the tt pics I get the heebie-jeebies!

Thanks for your thoughts; I'd love to hear from more ladies...

If I were to show you my after pix, you would run for the hills and never come back,,,hehehehe I actually had a wound seperation issue, that took 4 months to heal, and was left with a ugly butt like scar from my belly button down to the cooie and over to my right hip, So this [past May 5th I went back in for a revision and he basically did a new Tummy Tuck from the belly button down on me, and I am happy ro say I have the belly I love now. I am diabetic and from what I have researched and been told by my Drs that necrosis is more likely in diabetics. BUT it was a chance I was willing to take. My upper belly was as big as my lower belly, I carried most of my weight in the mid section.

I say go with your heart, do what is going to make you happy. If you decide to go ahead with it, go to at least 3 consultaions and compare notes. I actually went to a Dr in Bev Hills becasue he specializes in weight loss patients, and he was only $1,500 more then a local Dr I really really really liked, But didn't go with him becasue he isnt PS Board certified. when I asked him why not, he told me he was TOO BuSY to go take the test.. Uhmmmm Bye Bye and I walked out his door. He was a nice guy also, really liked him.

But the Dr I went with I like him also, great PS. Again go with what makes you feel good.....

My hubby, he didn't care one way or the otherif I had PS, Sure he LOVEs my new flat tummy and perky taa taas, But I met him when I was heavy and he loved me then, so this was MY decision and We are both very happy with the results now.

Interesting question, as I am 53 now and figure I'll be about 55 maybe by the time I'm at my goal of losing 180+ and I definitely am thinking its going to be worth it for my own self esteem. Yep, surgery costs will probably be in the range of $20K (tummy tuck, arms, and breast lift) and I'm going to do payments for 4+ years to pay it off so I got to be sure I'm going to be happy.

I'm in my fifties, and depending on the day or my mood, I can argue effectively why having PS would be good or a foolish expenditure for vanity's sake. Having been obese for almost my entire life) there is hanging skin. I do have abdominal tissue hanging, but not enough that it is presenting significant health issues or itching or rashes. It just hangs there. As for my breasts...well, they are soon going to be meeting my toes!!! :(:thumbup:

I would be self-pay for any PS, and therefore I really need to consider the cost of this versus how I might feel after. The psychological benefits versus the time off work, recovery time, any healing issues. Is it pride versus money? Vanity versus mortgage payments, and bills? Would I really get my 'money's worth' having a TT and/or BR at my age? Or should I just be happy that I am healthy, am in better shape than many women my age (at least according to my doc)...and just be content with that?

I've had LOTS of surgery in my life (my abdomen should have come with a zipper), and never had any problems, and have always been a quick healer. But is this taking too big a chance? Do you increase your chances of having some incident/complication with more and more surgeries?

I know the decision will be mine, but as I said, on any day I think YES and NO. :biggrin::confused:

Your thoughts are welcome (particularly if you are over 50)!

Tappy, I went for my ps consult today. I am going in Monday for my face and arms. I am scared but am so excited. I look at the results and it is amazing what this man can do. My arms are so bad that he is going to do a back arm incision which will be more visable but is less likely to have healing issues. I am so excited about it, i don't expectt to look 25 but I would love to look 57 and not so angry all the time. I sure dont think you are too old....I think you are of an age that you have earned it!

Good luck, Corliss

If I were to show you my after pix, you would run for the hills and never come back,,,hehehehe I actually had a wound seperation issue, that took 4 months to heal, and was left with a ugly butt like scar from my belly button down to the cooie and over to my right hip.

Thanks - I think! That's my point though; maybe I am pushing my luck having surgery. So far in the MANY surgeries I have had to date, I have never had a hitch - maybe this would be THE time.

Interesting question, as I am 53 now and figure I'll be about 55 maybe by the time I'm at my goal of losing 180+ and I definitely am thinking its going to be worth it for my own self esteem. Yep, surgery costs will probably be in the range of $20K (tummy tuck, arms, and breast lift) and I'm going to do payments for 4+ years to pay it off so I got to be sure I'm going to be happy.

Whew - to know that someone else my age is thinking of it does me some good....I hate to feel I am alone. But the $$$$ - it is alot, and could be a significant payment on the house, or a fabulous vacation, or or or.....

Tappy, I went for my ps consult today. I am going in Monday for my face and arms. I am scared but am so excited. I look at the results and it is amazing what this man can do. ...I am so excited about it, i don't expectt to look 25 but I would love to look 57 and not so angry all the time. I sure dont think you are too old....I think you are of an age that you have earned it!

Good luck, Corliss

Thanks Corliss. Let me know how you do. My arms could certainly USE the surgery, but even if I go ahead with surgery, the arms are just going to remain 'flapping in the breeze'...tt and/or bl is all I am thinking of now.

Im 52 and am saving for it..........I say if you can afford it, and want it, go for it..........age is only a number and the emotional lift you will get is priceless.

Look at it this way, now that you are thin, life is really just now beginning, so make the most of it!

However, if it would be a financial burden, then you really need to give it some deep consideration.

hi tapshoes

my opinion...."absolutely NOT too old. the new fifties are the old forties or even thirties"

actually i am 51 and just had a TT and boob lift. besides the lapband to take off over 100 lbs...it has done more for me feeling good about myself.

i would have done it even if it was 10 years later. the extra skin i had really bothered me...and now it's gone...i feel so much better both in and OUT of clothes :(

...and the "girls" are perkier then they have ever been!

good luck in whatever you decide to do

Edited by josiebies

[quote name=justmel1957;1255597.I say if you can afford it' date=' and want it, go for it..........age is only a number and the emotional lift you will get is priceless.

Look at it this way, now that you are thin, life is really just now beginning, so make the most of it!

.[/quote]

Thanks justme....I know is just an age (most of the time). Sometimes though I just need to remind myself of it...

actually i am 51 and just had a TT and boob lift. besides the lapband to take off over 100 lbs...it has done more for me feeling good about myself.

Hi Josie - I am a 'lurker' on your thread, and have read it several times whenever I find myself waffling over this. You have been one of the 'inspirations' I have had.

I think I shall just start the searching and interviewing process as a first step....who knows what may come of that process. It's not like I will meet a surgeon one day and have surgery the next....

hey tapshoes,

that sounds like a good plan.

i actually took my time with this as well. i waited till i got to goal. in fact i was underweight when i went to see the PS

May '08 and they asked me to put on 10 lbs. (i wanted to put fat into my bootie)

1 year later i had the surgery and i actually switched surgeon's about 4 mos before i did the surgery.

i didnt think the skin around my waist bothered me as much as it did. i only realize it now that it is gone how much better my clothes fit.

i also did my boob lift as a secondary operation (TT was main priority) my biggest thrill are my boobs. i can actually go without a bra (i dont do it but i can) for the first time in my life. i love having perky ones.

so i say do your research but dont let age stop you. i feel better now then i did in my 30's or 40's

keep us posted and let us know if you need any help

josie

p.s. i will post my before/after pics soon. i dont know how to do it and need my nephew to help me

I really, really understand the conflict. I'm pushing 48, and have yet to be banded; I know that there will be plenty of stuff hanging post-loss 'cause...well...I have plenty of stuff hanging now!

I do plan to have PS--but am conflicted about it. Not because I don't think I deserve it. Or that, at my age at the likely time of readiness for surgery is too high...but because, like many women in my age bracket, I have a husband in declining health and kids, one of whom is still at home (and will be then).

Still, in good hands, I think the safety issues can largely be put to rest, and in that case, benefits outweigh the risks.

Then there's the financial stuff. It's hard to swallow spending tens of thousands of dollars undoing damage I've done to myself when there are things like college tuition and mortgage and ...well...LOTS of things that "should" come first.

But...well...at some point I think we need to decide that WE come first, and that being content with oneself really does pave the way to contentment with the other stuff life tosses our way.