Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 Month and 40 lbs after surgery

Today is 1 month after my surgery. I have lost 40 pounds exactly today - but things are not well.

I am never hungry.

I cannot eat, but very little amounts of food - averaging about 450 cals a day.

After eating I feel ok for about 15 or 20 min then I have gas pain and spend the next 3 to 4 hours holding my stomach and burping.

I am tired all the time and am unable to walk for more than 10 min without having to sit down because my legs are shaky - this is from a man who would do 30 - 45 minutes on the cross trainer every morning.

I can't wait to go to sleep at night, I get in bed around 8pm and sleep till 8am every night. The first thing in the morning is when I feel my best and that is only about 60% of what I used to feel like.

I saw my doctor last week and told him, but he just said, "you probably just have some swelling still, it will go away."

I am thinking I am over filled, and when I see my doctor tomorrow I am going to insist that he take the fill out. I have had no fills since surgery, so whatever is in there is just what the tech put in.

Anyone else in this boat?

-BSG

Wow that's alot of weight you lost in a month. I would have the doctor unfill you a bit. He shoudl have waited a month to even fill you since your body needs to recover from the surgery.

Also, are you taking Vitamins? Maybe that would help some. Make sure you take a Protein suplement as well.

good luck to you!

Do you know if there was any Fluid put in your band at the time of surgery? I didn't start exercising till I lost about 40. I haven't had any problem unless I ate too fast. Are you getting enough protien? Try buying some Boost Glucose control. Its been my Breakfast for 6 months now. I attribute my success and my wifes to it.

Hang in there.. Try drinking some extra Protein Shakes. Once you start eating solid foods energy levels will increase. I was the same way, extremely tired. My band had no Fluid in it, so it was all swelling. You most likely have a large stoma and are still swollen pretty good. We were actually the lucky ones. I lost about 40 lbs my first month. That will go away in time and you will start eating more. Make sure your getting your Vitamins and plenty of Water. After six weeks I started working out slowing and within another month my energy was through the roof. Hang in there things will improve, your doing great! P.S. speaking of energy levels, I ran 5 miles on a treadmil at 6 mph yesterday...and it felt great!:cool2:

I assume your quoted weight loss includes the pre-op diet period as well.

You may very well have nothing (or so very little) in your band. Mine had only about .6cc left in when the doctor fully filled it to test it for leaks before placing it. He drained it pretty much all the way. There are, however, some docs who pre-fill to a certain amount. I would consider calling and asking if your doc puts any saline in at the time of surgery. Just to be absolutely sure.

For your amount of time post-surgery, you should only just be starting solid foods (and with some docs, not even doing it at all yet). Have you tried eating beyond your doctor's instructions? Just checking because a lot of people do just that.

Having brought up all the questions I can think of, I think your doctor should see you again SOON to discuss the details of your issues. That's what you paid him for...not just the surgery but TAKING CARE OF YOU!

I assume your quoted weight loss includes the pre-op diet period as well.

Actually, no... All 40 pounds is since the day of surgery, I lost 29 pounds prior to surgery.

-BSG

Sounds like you need to up the mushies food a bit, make sure you are getting "protein". You are still in the "healing " period post-op. Fortified popcicles, yogurt blended up chicken anything that is mushy, you have to be eating or drinking all the time. I was about 900 cal /day for about 8 weeks, I added an extra Protein shake(EAS Whey) just to make sure I stayed at 60-90 grams /day.Make sure you are keeping a journal of all your liquids and ounces, protein grams. Kep track of your Vitamins, make sure you are taking at the correct times, not mixing. Call your dr's nutritionist. At 4 weeks you may still be moving a little slow, no weightlifting, plenty of cardio, the more you do the better yu will feel and it will make you thirsty and hungry. IU had no appetite fora long time. My husband asked me what would happen if I didn't get my appetite back.. I just had this stunned look on my face, as time went on it cam back slowly. I am now 16 months out, 10 lb from goal. I have had 9 fills (9.0cc) and the last being an unfill of .4cc in a 10cc band. I am pretty close to my green zone and have been for the last couple of months. Hang in there, communicate with your Dr office. They should be there to help you.. :cool2: