Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Would they cancel surgery for a runny nose?

Yeah, that sounds silly, I know, but last week when I had my preop, I had a sinus infection. They told me if it didn't clear up, they would cancel my surgery and reschedule. Well, the sinus infection cleared up and then last night I started sneezing and now have a constant runny nose. My surgery is tomorrow! Do you think they'll make me reschedule? :cool2:

Not wanting go there at 6 a.m. tomorrow and find out the bad news, I emailed the nurse this morning, but downplayed it as related to pollen or perhaps my sinuses are just now draining. Benedryl does seem to stop it. Now I sorta wish I hadn't told her! I SO SO do not want to be bumped at the last minute!! :laugh:

Anyone know anything about this???

Sincerely,

The Constant Worrier

Oh NO! I started worrying also right before of all the possible things that could go wrong and have them cancel the surgery. I am not sure but I would think that as long as you don't have a fever, it wouldn't matter.

Thanks for your reply, skinnybyrd. It is reassuring to me. Also, the nurse never emailed me back, and it's 4 pm here, so I guess no news is good news! I don't have a fever or a cough, just a darn nuisance of one nostril running (clear) and a bit of a sore throat from the post-nasal drip.

So, I guess it is on for me tomorrow morning at 7! I have to be there at 6 a.m. I'm really nervous and just wish it would hurry up and get here!!!!

I'll check in with everyone as soon as I can, but I don't have a laptop, so it may be a few days. In the meantime, good luck to those who are going in on the 7th, 8th, and 11th!!! :thumbup:

maybe if you explain that you have seasonal allergies, and maybe even look up what's in the air in your area right now, so it really sounds like you know what you're sneezing at!!

but be safe. make sure you let them know if you take ANY allergy medications, and don't take anything to try and keep down your fever. (oh, how many times have parents sent their kids to school with a fever after dosing them with tylenol... ) ;-)

better to wait until you're nice and healthy than risk a slower, more difficult recovery!

*wishing you the best*

Thanks for your reply! Luckily I don't have a fever. And everyone in my area has allergies because there are so many flowering trees and bushes in our area. It's just a given, lol. So I'm not worried about them believing me about the allergies. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed! :thumbup:

Hi, I came down with a cold the week before my surgery and was so worried it would not get better in time. The day before my surgery I still had a bit of congestion, but the doc told me that as long as there was no fever and nothing settled in my chest I would be okay. Turns out I was fine and did well.

Good luck tomorrow...I am sure you will do great!:thumbup:

man, i only wish my allergies were from flowering trees and bushes... here in texas it's from WEEDS!! hehe

Just a quick follow-up to this... by the morning of my surgery, my cold was worse and I had a slight temp ranging from 99.2 to 99.6. I was breathing fine, though, and they said it would be okay, so I went ahead with surgery. :frown:

Just a quick follow-up to this... by the morning of my surgery, my cold was worse and I had a slight temp ranging from 99.2 to 99.6. I was breathing fine, though, and they said it would be okay, so I went ahead with surgery. :crying:

How are you feeling now, Ann? Are you over your cold and fever?

Yes, I'm fine! In fact, by later that evening (the night of surgery) I had no more fever and no more runny nose. Weird. Just all vanished! :crying: Thanks for asking!