Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stretch pouch in Bandster's Hell?

I'm 3 wks post op and still on mushie food. I won't get a fill for another 3 weeks. I feel like I can eat almost as much as I did before I was banded. I'm so scared I'll stretch my pouch. I'm trying hard not to overeat but obviously, I have a problem w/ self control otherwise I wouldn't need the bad. Does anyone think they stretched their pouch during this time that lead to complications or slippage?

Carbgrl, I'm glad you asked that question! I am also 3 weeks post op and feel that I am 'able' to eat normally. Granted, I do feel a bit fuller a little bit quicker...I too have about 3 weeks before my first fill...and fear that I could get carried away. I lost 8 pounds the first week, and have maintained that now for 2 weeks. Getting eager to see the weigh start coming off.

I look forward to anyone's feedback.

I did the same thing but it does change. I am 3 months out now and have not had a fill yet. I have lost 40 pounds. Still tight and loving it.

i am going on my 3rd week also and feel like i could eat anything. i am also worried, so i hope there is some feed back.

I went through the same thing. I could eat what ever wanted. But when it changed it was like I hit a wall. I have problems with lots of things now that I could eat before. Be careful because it did change. Talk with your doctor. Don't get pulled into eating the bad stuff. My doctor told me this is when most people eat the junk food again. Stay with good foods.

I think for me, as I lost some weight, the fatty padding around my stomach shrank and so my band was a little looser, making it SEEM like I wasn't really getting as much restriction anymore. So I definitely could eat more than I felt like I should be eating. And it felt terrible psychologically. I didn't eat TOO MUCH, just more than I felt like I SHOULD be eating. So when I got my fill I felt restriction again, and I vowed to myself that I would not eat too much so I wouldn't truly know what my "limits" are. I think testing your limits can be a very dangerous thing early in the game. Stay positive and challenge yourself to be successful. That's what keeping me on track now !

Best of Luck !

I'm 3 weeks post-op yesterday, and I feel the same way...I was sitting thinking - why did I go through all that pain just to be right back where I was. I do eat less because I get that "full" feeling, but some days the motivation is gone because I lost 25 pounds before and the first week after....now, NOTHING for 8 days!!!!!

The weeks after surgery are not necessarily to lose weight, but to heal properly from the surgery itself. This is why doctors usually do not fill the band immediately after surgery. You are healing and it is normal to feel hungry. Your doctor would tell you that this is normal. There are many people that feel like they are able to eat as if they never had the surgery. This is why these weeks are referred to as Bandster's Hell. Many people do not lose weight during the time before their first fill. If you do not lose, or you gain, it is okay. You will lose soon enough once you begin getting your fills. If you do happen to lose weight, consider it a bonus. Just remember that everybody is different. Just because one person lost 20 pounds in the 5 weeks after surgery does not mean that you will. Also be aware that you may not feel restriction with your first fill. If you read the threads on this website, you will see that many people do not start feeling restriction or really losing weight until the 3rd-4th fill. Be patient. Just keep making good food choices, try not to overeat, and take this time to heal.

Rachel

I'm so glad to have all of you 'guys'! It seems that most of us experience the same things, worries, etc. I've not lost hardly any weight yet and I'm 2 months past surgery (had 2 fills). I worry that I've stretched the stomach, that I'm not eating small enough portions or the right foods, etc., etc. I'm trying to eat less (using my weak self control) but it's so good to hear from others that this slow weight loss is normal and that it will start working as needed at some point - when we reach the number of fills we need - whatever that may be for each of us! I don't want to think I'm failing but I am disappointed to have lost only 10-12 pounds after 2 months. So good to hear that this is 'normal' and that weight loss will pick up at some point!! Thanks everyone....

I asked my doc about this for the very same reasons you have all mentioned.

He told me I would have to work very hard to stretch it. As in keep eating after I feel full..and then some, and to do this more than a few times before the pouch becomes stretched. That and the fact that because the band hasn't been filled yet..there isn't much of a pouch to be stretched yet.

So glad I found this thread!! Bandster Hell is the perfect name for this month! I am exactly 4 wks banded (yesterday) and I feel like I could eat almost as much as I could pre-band. But it is more like I feel like I should not beable to eat as much as I do. I was also getting worried that I was somehow failing and not eating right or not enough walking. I have lost only 5 pounds and an inch from my body...but I was thinking I would lose more. So now I will calm down and stop stressing...slow and easy wins the race! :cool2:

Liz