Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Want to hear another crazy Dr. story?

I went in for a D&C and laparoscopy (I think that's the word) yesterday. Luckily, my best friend since birth is the charge nurse in surgery because half way through, one of the nurses came to get her. Apparently, my OB/GYN saw tubing in my stomach and freaked out. My friend came in and looked on the screen and said that was tubing from my lap band. The doctor said she knew nothing about it. Geez, I mentioned it to her twice. The second time was when we were discussing my surgery and I said I had a lap band and made sure they weren't putting any tubes into my stomach. She said no - only airway. Apparently, either she didn't listen (what's new?) or didn't write it down. Luckily my friend worked in the OR because I don't know how long it would have taken them to decide to look at my paperwork I filled out before and after admission to see that I also had that listed with the hospital.

Should I get a tattoo?

Anyway - surgery went well except I have tons of endomitriosis and I'm looking at getting hysterectomy in the next couple of years. How much does a uterus weigh? LOL

I went in for a D&C and laparoscopy (I think that's the word) yesterday. Luckily, my best friend since birth is the charge nurse in surgery because half way through, one of the nurses came to get her. Apparently, my OB/GYN saw tubing in my stomach and freaked out. My friend came in and looked on the screen and said that was tubing from my lap band. The doctor said she knew nothing about it. Geez, I mentioned it to her twice. The second time was when we were discussing my surgery and I said I had a lap band and made sure they weren't putting any tubes into my stomach. She said no - only airway. Apparently, either she didn't listen (what's new?) or didn't write it down. Luckily my friend worked in the OR because I don't know how long it would have taken them to decide to look at my paperwork I filled out before and after admission to see that I also had that listed with the hospital.

Should I get a tattoo?

Anyway - surgery went well except I have tons of endomitriosis and I'm looking at getting hysterectomy in the next couple of years. How much does a uterus weigh? LOL

WOW!!! You'd think a Doctor would remember something as important as you telling them you have the lapband. I agree with you, it's a really good thing that your friends works in the OR. There isn't any telling how long it would have taken them to decide, well we need to take a look at her paperwork to see what's going on. GEEZZZZZ.

If you want a Tattoo, I say go for it! I have 2 tattoos and I love them. I have one on the outside of my right calf that is a mouse holding a bunch of balloons with my daughter Savannas name under it and one on the lower part center of my back with a stars falling down around a moon. I want to get another one after I finish loosing my weight of a butterfly coming out of its cocoon symbolizing the start of my life as a healthier, happier, and thinner me.

As for the uterus and how much it weighs. I have no idea. I had a hysterectomy when I was 22 yrs old and I am now 30. If you do have to have one, whatever you do, do not let them do a complete. No matter what they say, just because you have endo, it doesn't mean you have to have a complete, I was just told 3 yrs ago that a partial would have done just as good, and if it doesn't you can always go back to have the ovaries removed and thats what my OB/GYN should have done to begin with.

I was way to young to have a complete so now I am stuck with the playground but no equipment..(thats what my hubby likes to say lol). And the worse part is, until I am 35 (atleast) I can not be put on any horomone replacement therapy because it is to dangerous to put someone as young as I am on it due to the risk of breast cancer, heart attack, and stroke. So I am stuck with mood swings from hell and hot flashes in the middle of the winter that make my hubby wake up in the middle of the night feeling like a popsicle.

Edited by SLIMCITYHEREICOME

Cookie, glad everything ended up going so well! VERY glad your friend was handy! LOL!

Maybe next time you have surgery you can just write "Don't forget about the Lapband!" near where they'll be! ;) Then you can wash it off later!

Stacy, have you looked into herbal alternatives? I'd really recommend that. I've heard great things about them and it could help a lot.

About 3 lbs. I had a hysterectomy about 2 years ago for adenomyosis, which is internal endometriousis (sp?) Anyways, my advice? Hysterectomy? Everyone should have one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had a partial, so I get all of the side shows every month, just no grand finale. And I will go through regular menopause (darn it!) when its my time... I had my hysto when I was 33. Not a moment regret, but my family was complete....

I get all of the side shows every month, just no grand finale. And I will go through regular menopause (darn it!) when its my time... I had my hysto when I was 33. Not a moment regret, but my family was complete....

I agree totally! My children are all grown (28, 25, 24), and I had a hysterectomy 15 years ago. After a 12 month 'cycle' they finally decided to just get rid of it rather than keep trying to find out what was wrong.

AND, one of the best side affects of my lap band surgery??? Well, since my surgery i've not had one single hot flash! And i was having multiples every day before the surgery! So i'm thinking that the carbs is a definite reason why, but, who knows! I'm happy with that side affect!

So, Cookie, and everyone else, if you do have to have a hysterectomy, try to keep your ovaries (I agree with that one!) and remember that you may not have hot flashes during peri-menopause, or menopause!

Has anyone else noticed that they are not having their own little heat waves after the surgery?

Tkl

Ouch, doesn't sound like a very attentive doctor..o.o

As for the tattoo, I just got one done three days ago, and I couldn't be happier. I designed my own (Illustration major), but what I think made it better was that I went to a really good place, so that I could be sure everything was sanitary and good and so on. I went in January and made the appointment and had to wait until April. This helped alot because I was able to look at the design and continually question myself. I suggest that you not rush it. Also, try to think of something that can flow with your body, not just a stamp thing. Tattoos look so much better if they look like they were designed for you, for your shape, for your curves. Choose something that you love, that will always be a part of you. And good luck! Oh! And always check out the parlour you want to get it done at, look at their online portfolios..most have them, to give you a better idea of what it is the artist is good at. You don't want someone who specializes in Tribal doing a portrait on you. Good luck!

I think a tatoo would be funny. It could say "port here" with an arrow to your port. Do you think they will know what that means thought? Or it could say Banster or something...:smile:

Before I joined this forum a few years back, I had faith in the medical profession.

Since then, I'm not so sure. Although to be fair, none of the horror stories are About Australian doctors, roflmao!! Seriously though, it seems you need to be the one to tell THEM a) what is wrong with you :unsure: what treatment you need for it c) whether you need surgery d) how to perform said surgery and e) how to manage the condition long term!

Our main problem here is language - these days when you visit a GP its in a huge bulk billing clinic with 75 doctors so you never see the same one twice, they are always idonesian, malaysian, chinese or indian, they dont speak anything resembling intelligible English and they spend more time staring at your computer screen rather than at you yet they still dont appear to have read your file or have ANY idea of your history whatsoever. It drives me crazy. The very doctor that gave me my referral to the lapband surgeon asked me, when I returned for a renewed referral, if I was now going back to have it removed now that I'd lost weight.

And my MIL has is now facing chemo after having her bladder removed a few weeks ago, having been managed by her GP for an entire YEAR without the idiot ever wondering why her "urinary tract infection" didnt respond to any form of antibiotic.