Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

VIP - Very Important Post - Fills, Restriction, and Sweet Spot

Hi,

I will try not to make this too long, but for those of you who know me, I'm not good at making a long story short. I got my band in September 2008. No restriction after surgery, none after my first fill, and none after my second fill. I got my third fill on December 18th, and boy was that one different. I thought I was a bit too tight, but because I had my surgery 750 miles from my home, it was the holidays, and I had a vacation to Las Vegas planned, I did not go get an unfill. I could keep liquids down and some foods too, but I had many PBing incidences. At first thought it was because I was not taking tiny bites, chewing enough, and taking time between bites. Then I just figured there were some foods that I was just not going to be able to eat. People said you could eat the same foods only less of them, but I was having problems with some. All this time while trying to adjust to the new tightness/restriction, I was NEVER really feeling full. I would stop eating because I knew I should, or because I was afraid of getting stuck.... but not because I had that full feeling that I had read others talking about.

This week I read a post that has opened up my eyes and hopefully changed my lapband journey for the better. A wonderful lady (Bullwinkle) had a post that was my EXACT story. She had been struggling with fills/tightness/restriction and not feeling full for 2 YEARS. She explained it to me and oh my gosh - it made soooooooooo much sense. I am so very grateful to her.

When I had no restriction, the food I was eating was going right through my pouch and into my stomach - I could eat anything. When I got that third fill, I had restriction. My band was tighter, and the opening to my stomach was smaller. When I ate bulkier foods/solids, they would often get stuck, and I would PB. From the research I had done and the posts I had read, I figured this meant my band was too tight. I didn't want to get an unfill, because I thought I would just go back to being able to eat everything. Bullwinkle explained to me that what I needed was another fill. Sounds crazy... right?? Well.... the opening to my stomach was smaller, but not small enough. When I would eat those solids, they were getting into the hole to get stuck, or coming back up. With another fill, and the hole becoming smaller, the bulkier solids/proteins will have to stay in my pouch because they will not be able to fit into, or through, the hole to my stomach. They will eventually make their way through, but not quickly. She said for the first time that she is feeling full.

Like I said before, I had done plenty of research before getting my band and read LOTS of posts on here, but just had not come across this explanation before. I thought I was at my "sweet spot" but was not feeling like there was anything sweet about it. I was beginning to have doubts about whether I would ever get to that place where I could eat without PBing all the time, feel full, and have the band work for me like I want it to. I hope this will help someone like it helped me. I have a fill appointment and a flight to Houston scheduled for the 15th of April. I am excited and will let you know how this turns out. Again - my thanks to Bullwinkle. Take care!!!! Becky

I am SO GLAD you shared this. I wish you'd shared it yesterday! I just had a slight unfill because after my last fill everything was getting stuck (and I was chewing myself to death LOL) and I NEVER felt full. I only lost 2 pounds in the last 4 weeks! I'll stick with this level for now but next time I'll ask for a larger fill and see if that does for me what it has done for you and "Bullwinkle".

Thanks for sharing! (Now you've helped me with my ticker, AND this! LOL)

Thanks for that infomative post. I have had 2 fills so far and like you have no restriction and can eat anything. I will be going for my 3rd fill on the 16th of this month, and I hope this one finally gives me some restriction.

Wow--this perfectly describes me between fill number 2 and 3. And I even GAINED during that period. Since fill number 3 I noticed this doesn't happen nearly as much (only when I'm starving and scarf something down...). I never related the "stuckness" to not haveing enough fill ... but this description makes perfect sense! And--I went to the dr. today and I was down 10 pounds from fill number 3 (after NOT getting stuck so much)!!!

Thanks for getting this info to those of us experiencing this. I would never have thought of this fact.

Crystal

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Frugal

Welcome to Frugal Testing, where we are committed to revolutionizing the software testing landscape with our efficient and affordable solutions. As a pioneering company in this field, we understand the challenges faced by startups, small to medium-sized businesses and any organization working without budget constraints. Our mission is to deliver top-notch testing services that ensure the highest quality of software, all while keeping your costs in check.
      Frugal Testing offers a comprehensive suite of testing services tailored to meet diverse needs. Specializing in different types of testing including functional testing, automation testing, metaverse testing and D365 testing, we cover all bases to guarantee thorough software quality assurance. Our approach is not just about identifying bugs; it's about ensuring a seamless and superior user experience.
      Innovation is at the heart of what we do. By integrating the latest tools and technologies, many of which are cutting-edge open source solutions, we stay ahead in delivering efficient and effective testing services. This approach allows us to provide exceptional quality testing without the high costs typically associated with advanced testing methodologies.
      Understanding each client's unique needs is fundamental to our service delivery. At Frugal Testing, the focus is on creating customized testing strategies that align with specific business goals and budget requirements. This client-centric approach ensures that every testing solution is not only effective but also fully aligned with the client's objectives.
      Our team is our greatest asset. Composed of skilled professionals who are experts in the latest testing techniques and technologies, they bring dedication, expertise and a commitment to excellence in every project. This expertise ensures that our client’s software not only meets but often exceeds the highest standards of quality and performance.
      Frugal Testing is more than just a service provider; we are a partner in your success. With a blend of quality, innovation and cost-effectiveness, we are here to help you navigate the complexities of software testing, ensuring your product stands out in today's competitive market. 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • ChunkCat

I have no clue where to upload this, so I'll put it here. This is pre-op vs the morning of my 6 month appointment! In office I weight 232, that's 88 lbs down since my highest weight, 75 lbs since my surgery weight! I can't believe this jacket fit... I am smaller now than the last time I was this size which the surgeon found really amusing. He's happy with where I am in my weight loss and estimates I'll be around 200 lbs by my 1 year anniversary! My lowest weight as an adult is 195, so that's pretty damn exciting to think I'll be near that at a year. Everything from there will be unknown territory!!

· 3 replies
      1. AmberFL

You look amazing!!! 😻 you have been killing it!

2. NickelChip

Congratulations! You're making excellent progress and looking amazing!

3. BabySpoons

So proud of you Cat. Getting into those smaller size clothes is half the fun isn't it?. Keep up the good work!!!!

• BeanitoDiego

I changed my profile image to a molecule of protein. Why? Because I am certain that it saved my life.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

That's brilliant! You've done amazing!! I should probably think about changing my profile picture at some point. Mine is the doll from Squid Games. Ironically the whole premise of the show is about dodging death. We've both done that...

• eclarke

Two years out. Lost 120 , regained 5 lbs. Recently has a bout of Norovirus, lost 7 pounds in two days. Now my stomach feels like it did right after my surgery. Sore, sensitive to even water.  Anyone out there have a similar experience?
      · 0 replies
    • Eve411

April Surgery
      Am I the only struggling to get weight down. I started with weight of 297 and now im 280 but seem to not lose more weight. My nutrtionist told me not to worry about the pounds because I might still be losing inches. However, I do not really see much of a difference is this happen to any of you, if so any tips?
      Thanks
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches