Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Rain w/ a chance of another fill

HOLA! I just wanted to get some advice or hear some thougths on the following subject.

I was banded on 1/27. I had my first fill on 3/5. 4ccs in a 10-12cc band. I didnt feel any difference. I called the office after about a week and they got me in for another fill. (I wasnt scheduled for another fill until MAY 7th!)

So, my doc always asks a series of questions about what I can eat, and the big one is always can you eat a sandwich with no problem. My answer was yes. So, he gave me another 1.5cc's and told me my bread eating days might be over. That was last thursday, 3/19.

I can feel a difference. If I take a really big bite of something, I might have to wait a minute before my next bite. But, I can still eat a complete meal. For example, a whole pork chop, peas, and half a slice of cornbread. Or a whole piece of chicken breast, corn, tomatoes, etc. Yesterday I made a lunch meat sandwich and it went down without a problem.

SO, i called the office again (I am sure they love me), and I am going in for my third fill on Monday.

I will ask my doc and share everything with him, but my question is....do I need one? Or is this what restriction is supposed to feel like?

I am under the assumption that with proper restriction I should feel satisfied with 4-6 oz of food, that should keep my full for 3-4 hours.

I could probably eat double that and still get physically hungry well before 4 hours. I can drink gulps of Water. I can eat bread with Peanut Butter on it...etc.

Thoughts?

And if you were wondering what the title of the post has to do with anything...its pretty raining down here in the south right now :crying:

The question is are you eating as much as you used it? My situation is pretty much the exact same as yours. I was banded 1/28 and had 4cc's put in on 3/5 too. I can still eat anything I want to but I notice I am not as hungry and I get filled up easier. It looks as though you are steadily losing which is great! I wouldn't wanna be too tight and end up getting sick and not being able to eat. Or worse PB. Sounds gross.

The question is are you eating as much as you used it? My situation is pretty much the exact same as yours. I was banded 1/28 and had 4cc's put in on 3/5 too. I can still eat anything I want to but I notice I am not as hungry and I get filled up easier. It looks as though you are steadily losing which is great! I wouldn't wanna be too tight and end up getting sick and not being able to eat. Or worse PB. Sounds gross.

Weeelll, I dont think I could eat as much as I used too, but I really havent tried. Which is why my weight loss has been pretty good...its really been like I am on a diet. AND, I have been working out. I have to really work at stopping eating...not bc my body tells me that I am full, but bc I know better. And of course, I dont eat the junk I used to, or consume the 7 sunkists a day, etc. But I am definetly not full or physicall satisfied with 4-6 oz.

I think if Indiana Jones were to make a movie in regards to weight loss, the title would be "The Quest for the Holy Sweet Spot".

:crying:

The fact that your doctor even asked you about a sandwich is a shock! bread is one of those things I was told was off the list. Very dry crackers or such are ok, but bread is a no no. I was banded on 10 Feb, not too long after you. I have cut what I eat by at least 2/3. Sometimes I do get a little hungry before it is time to eat again, but I try Water first and if that does not help then I go for a bite of something to hold me over. Please do some research here with others who are more knowledgeable than I am. I would say you need a different doctor. How long has he been doing bands? I was reading someone who says that it can take up to a week for you to feel the full effect of the fill. I don't think you are giving yourself enough time and I too worry about you being overfilled. Good luck and keep us posted. You would be surprised at how many people here care!

The fact that your doctor even asked you about a sandwich is a shock! bread is one of those things I was told was off the list. Very dry crackers or such are ok, but bread is a no no. I was banded on 10 Feb, not too long after you. I have cut what I eat by at least 2/3. Sometimes I do get a little hungry before it is time to eat again, but I try Water first and if that does not help then I go for a bite of something to hold me over. Please do some research here with others who are more knowledgeable than I am. I would say you need a different doctor. How long has he been doing bands? I was reading someone who says that it can take up to a week for you to feel the full effect of the fill. I don't think you are giving yourself enough time and I too worry about you being overfilled. Good luck and keep us posted. You would be surprised at how many people here care!

LOL, I love my doctor. I dont understand why you would think I need another one...bc he lets us eat bread? He is had done over 500 lap band surgeries, and I am lucky enough to work at a hospital that is a bariatric center of excellence. Bread is allowed. It is stressed that for most patients, they dont tolerate bread very well bc no matter how good you chew it, it can feel stuck and just balls up. I cant think of one single thing that is off limits to us except carbonation.

I have been on this site for about 5 months now and find it very helpful.

I also drink tons of Water. I read where sometimes it takes awhile to feel your fill. Thats why I waited two weeks the first time.

I will admit though...I like immediate gratification. SO patience in some matters is not always my strong suit!

I hear you there, I like instant also! LOL think it is this fast pace we live in. Well, the main thing is you are happy and I do wish you tons of luck. Everything I read and from my classes, no bread. It is better to not have it than to have to have it stick. I understand that is very painful. As for me, I am a chicken and don't like pain! Hope you can get something that will keep you from getting hungry. Best of luck!

We are a microwave society ... we want gratification as quickly as the microwave can heat something up. It could take a couple of more fills before your reach your sweet spot ... and I could take more or less than you with the same exact band. It's just a fact of life. Each of us is different! If you can eat bread, I can only say WOW. One bite of bread post-surgery was all it took. I thought I would die from the pain of being so stuck. So while I can't eat bread, I'm not at my sweet spot but I can tell a difference and I expect my next fill on Tuesday to put me closer. It's something only your doctor can determine....whether or not they'd give you a third fill so soon.

Parrothead, so how do you know when you hit that sweet spot and how do you keep from being hungry? I think you and I are about the same time here. I have had one fill and I can not tell too much difference, think it is all in my head. Thanks!

We are a microwave society ... we want gratification as quickly as the microwave can heat something up. It could take a couple of more fills before your reach your sweet spot ... and I could take more or less than you with the same exact band. It's just a fact of life. Each of us is different! If you can eat bread, I can only say WOW. One bite of bread post-surgery was all it took. I thought I would die from the pain of being so stuck. So while I can't eat bread, I'm not at my sweet spot but I can tell a difference and I expect my next fill on Tuesday to put me closer. It's something only your doctor can determine....whether or not they'd give you a third fill so soon.

Yes. Bread doesnt give me a problem. I usually choose not to eat it though...I try to concentrate on Protein first, etc. My nutritionist said if it's not Protein, ask yourself "Am I really going to get anything out of this (energy, etc)". If the answer is not, dont eat it.:crying: I have to remind myself of this when I want something like chips!

My surgeon says once you get to your sweet spot, you should be able to eat 1/2 to 3/4 cup of food at a meal, feel satieted, and not feel hungry again for at least 4 hours. Right now, I have 3.6cc in a 10cc band. Another fill on Tuesday. The worst time of day for me is between Breakfast and lunch ..... about 10:30 I am sooooo hungry!! As a friend of mine inelegantly puts it I could "eat the hind end out of a rag doll", LOL. But Between lunch and dinner, not so much. I'm hungry by the time I get home but not starving. I can take the time to cook a meal and I'm good for the evening. Not sure why there is that much difference between the two times of day, but I'm hoping the next fill will help tame the midmorning growlings!

My surgeon says once you get to your sweet spot, you should be able to eat 1/2 to 3/4 cup of food at a meal, feel satieted, and not feel hungry again for at least 4 hours. Right now, I have 3.6cc in a 10cc band. Another fill on Tuesday. The worst time of day for me is between Breakfast and lunch ..... about 10:30 I am sooooo hungry!! As a friend of mine inelegantly puts it I could "eat the hind end out of a rag doll", LOL. But Between lunch and dinner, not so much. I'm hungry by the time I get home but not starving. I can take the time to cook a meal and I'm good for the evening. Not sure why there is that much difference between the two times of day, but I'm hoping the next fill will help tame the midmorning growlings!

Hey! Thats better than the way my boyfriend says that same quote...but instead of "hind end" its crotch. Yours is much better :crying:

Morning is hard for me too. Sometimes I eat some grapes to tide me over. Also, bc I usually eat just yogurt for breakfast...and that doesnt fill me up for very long.

I usually just drink a Slim Fast Low Carb ... 20 grams of Protein (the "High Protein" version has only 15 grams .... go figure). I'm starting to think I'd do better if I ate real food. I'm going to ask when I go for my second fill on Tuesday. We'll solve it eventually!