Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've fallen out of love....with going out to eat!

:confused: Hello All!

I'm almost 8 months post-op and one of my favorite things before banding , since of course everything used to center around food, was going out to eat and trying new restaurants wherever we went. Now I absolutely dread going out to eat because as I stare at the menu, even the kids portions or appetizers I know it is such a waste to order my own meal as i'm only going to eat a few bites and the things that looks so good in the pictures on the menu are usually not the healhiest. I know I could always take it home and have a couple of more meals out of it but it just doesn't taste the same and I end up throwing it out. My husband, daughter and I usually go out to dinner at least once or twice a week and I end up either getting some type of grilled chicken or chili...both of which I make better at home. Now I have just resorted to eating a couple of bites off their plates and settling for what they order instead of ordering my own meal, there is no joy in going out to eat and I find it stressful and like I make everyone else uncomfortable by my not eating much. I much much prefer to cook at home now and try out new healthier recipes. My husband is very supportive and loves my cooking, but as every mom and wife knows sometimes we need a break from cooking or it's a really hectic day. Does anybody else hate to go out to eat now?

On a positive note! I had a fill Tuesday with brought me to 7.5 cc in a 10cc and I think i've found my sweet spot YEAH!! I only got .5 cc and that made the difference between me eating a cup of food at a time and being hungry during the day to about 1/4 cup of food and not getting hungry. They are not kidding when they say a tiny amount makes a huge differnce. I'm hoping this restrictioin will last a least a little while so I can get to my goal soon :w00t:

Thanks for listening everyone, this is a great place :w00t:

I know what you mean.My favorite things to do used to be going to either a Chinese buffet or a seafood buffet,but now I cant eat enough to be worth it.It also just doesnt seem to be as good as it used to be.Now I usually just eat something at home.Im saving a ton of money.My restriction has really lasted this time.My last fill was on Jan.21.I now have 8cc. in a 14cc band and have lost 90 pounds in 14 months.this restriction has really lasted longer than the other fills.I think I may need one more small fill before im there.Im supposed to get that on April 16

Wow..you guys are doing fabulous! Keep up the great work..

Amonroy...I have a 10cc band with 6.5 cc and dont feel restriction..I am following the rule..my next adjustment is 3.24.09..I wanna reach that sweet spot because when i eat i dont feel like ive eaten..

Amonroy--I go to the chinese buffet here where I live & have chicken..crab legs..steamed clams..broccoli stuff like that..I drink unsweetened iced tea when I there...I go to burger king & get a side salad with grilled chicken..i avoid Mcdonalds because i heard that they spray their chicken with sugar Water so it doesnt dry out...Its hard to eat fast food because the choices are limited..sometimes when u are out and about you want something fast..i always opt for chicken or salad...once in a blue moon i will have ice cream but not a big portion.Any suggestions??

I still like to go out to eat, just order different things now. I am more adventurous LOL I usaully order Protein. Steak or chicken grilled. then veggie. Mostly don't order starches. I eat my protein and some veggies and take the rest home. I like to cut the cold steak usually filet into small slices and add to a nice salad the next day for lunch.

One good thing about steak houses it's usually al la carte

and you can order just what you want.

I don't do buffets now at all not worth it.

Thanks Olivia!

Sounds like you are on your way as well. I used to go to the Chinese buffet because it's my husband and daughters favorite place but I'd eat basically a bite of a few things I liked, even the lo mein noodles. But as I got more restricted the harder it was. When I was at 6cc I could still eat 1 cup to 1 1/2 cup of food, when I got to 7cc I could eat a little less than a cup...now with just the .5 cc I can eat about what i'm supposed to 1/4 - 1/2 cup off food. I still have ice cream once in a great while but after a couple of bites im actually satisfied. It truly is amazing what a difference it makes with a tiny amount of a fill, I was skeptic until I just experience it. As for suggestions, I normally eat alot of chicken, ground turkey ( I love to make turkey meatballs, just season them well), ground sirloin... I even have birthday cake, I just dont eat the whole cake anymore lol! I still eat some carbs but not the white ones, if I have Pasta its the whole grain, whole grain breads but I rarely eat it. If I order a grilled chicken sandwich I never eat the bun because I'd rather fill my belly with the chicken that the bread. And exercise, I do lots of cardio (eliptical/treadmill/jog--or trying) at least 5 days a week. It's a work in progress.

Wow..sounds great..to be honest i am not going to the gym because I have 2 disc herniations in my back..the only exersize ive been doing is walking..i take my daughter in the stroller and go walking..and shopping LOL

Eating out is a challenge on any diet. I've been successful at losing weight while eating out 5-6 nights a week. No doubt I would lose weight faster if I did not eat out. However, eating out is part of my busy lifestyle and my philosophy is to have the band work with my lifestyle because I believe that helps in long-term success.

My tips for eating out:

1. At a buffet show your Lap-band card and you can get in at the Child's rate.

2. Order from the child's menu if there are healthy options. Have your card ready if they should ask.

3. Ask if you can order a half portion of the entree.

4. When ordering grilled chicken, be assertive and tell your waiter to ask the cook to not overcook the chicken. Return it if it is overcooked because if it is too dry it is very difficult to eat.

5. Always ask them to not put extra butter on the vegetables.

6. If the meal usually comes with bread (i.e., dinner roll or texas toast) ask them to not serve you the bread.

7. If you like potatoes, ask for mashed (no gravy) instead of baked so you don't overload with too much extra stuff.

8. When they deliver the meal and you see it is definitely too much, ask then for a box. When you get home, transfer the contents to a microwave-safe container so it is ready to heat up the next day.

9. Share a meal with a family member. Ask for a second plate and put your smaller portion on that plate for you. Your family is on this journey with you, this is how they can support you. Maybe get an extra side if needed.

10. Don't be afraid to leave food on your plate.

11. As soon as you feel restriction, ask the waiter to remove your plate so you don't keep grazing. You'll probably be the last to finish anyway.

12. When they ask for your drink order, always just ask for some Water. They get confused when you tell them you don't want anything to drink.

13. Don't order a Soup or salad as this will fill you up before the entree is served. If you do want a salad, wait and eat it later.

14. Experiment with new foods now and then. Eating out doesn’t always have to be grilled chicken.

Remember, you are going to have this band for the rest of your life. You have a lot of time to develop your own strategies for how to have it work around your lifestyle. Be creative and bold enough to ask for what you want. You'd be surprised at how accommodating they can be. You are the "always right" customer after all.

Hope you don't give eating out the boot forever! The restaurant industry needs your business to help the economy ;-).

God Bless!

Olivia,

I also have two herniated discs, since 2002. I do go to the gym but am careful about what strength training equipment I use. The elliptical is a great way to burn a lot of calories in a few minutes. But serious walking is hard to beat too. If the weather is good, I take a 3-mile walk around a small lake near my house. It is our city's "central park" area that is very popular. Too cold today though and it is snowing :confused: so I guess I'll go to the gym today.

I will have to remember to ask for child or senior meals and show my Realize Lapband card to see if I can get them to allow it. Thanks for the suggestion!!!