Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question....

Hey all! Just a couple questions I have before the BIG day!!

How many days did you all need to take off of work? Right now I have Thursday thru Monday off! Do you think that'll be enough time to recover fully! I am a student and preschool teacher with 15 two year old! Luckily I don't have school that week but will be chasing two year olds!

Let me know your thoughts!

Also I have been reading about the lack of energy during the liquid diet phase? Any suggestions to improve that!!

I had about 5 days off total. Luckily I work in retail so it just so happened my days off fell just perfect. I really only needed 4 of them.

I never had a lack of energy. Well only because of my medicine I had but that was only the first week.

It varies from person to person. My doctor told me some people needed two weeks off while others (such as myself) were fine after just a few days. I'm a quick healer :rolleyes:

i had about 10 days off because I had surgery over my Thanksgiving break. I was ready by about day 6... but not 100%. I say base it off of your own ability to heal-- how long does it take you compared to others to feel better from other surgeries you may have had, or even just the common cold? I'm a fairly fast healer, but I also tend to jump into things well-aware that I am not fully healed.

I'm sure you probably don't want to take off much time from work because you don't want anyone being suspicious or worried about you, but I'd say make it easy for yourself to take off an extra day or two if possible. I only say this because your job is so demanding!

I hope this helps, and whatever you decide to do-- good luck! :rolleyes:

i took 5 days off from work, but i have a desk job so being back wasnt too bad. i also only worked from 8-3 the first two weeks i was back at work because i wasnt taking a lunch hour.

everyone is different but be careful because you probably wont be able to lift any of those two year olds for the first six weeks!

I took Monday through Friday off and was plenty well enough before that to go back. However, I wasn't chasing or picking up kids. BE CAREFUL!

Thanks for all your comments and support! I have taken off Thursday- Tuesday... I have in past surgeries jumped back fairly quickly so I am hoping this is the same!

My immediate co-workers know whats going on and they are very supportive!

Just a few days away.... my goodness! This all happened so fast!!!!!!!!

Thanks again!

How did it go?

Things went great! I was totally ready by that Wednesday to go back to work! Even though I was absolutely enjoying the peace! Ha! Hope things are going well for you too!!

Hey all -

What should I expect at the weight loss seminar and my first appointment with the surgeon? How long after you met with the surgeon and got approved did you have the surgery?

I am going to the BWH in boston seminar on april 14th. Then will call and make my appointment. Any words of encouragement or how your experience was?

thanks and good luck to all,

Kate

Hey all -

What should I expect at the weight loss seminar and my first appointment with the surgeon? How long after you met with the surgeon and got approved did you have the surgery?

I am going to the BWH in boston seminar on april 14th. Then will call and make my appointment. Any words of encouragement or how your experience was?

thanks and good luck to all,

Kate

The weight loss seminar is nothing but an informational thing where they give you info about the band and how it works. I got to play with an actual band at mine. The first appointment with the surgeon is just getting all of the stuff you'll need to get approved in order.

Eeesh. It was almost 7 months after I first met with the surgeon that I had my surgery. That includes a 6 month diet plan for the insurance though. After approval I had my surgery within 48 hours. Haha. Doubt that's typical though.

And yes things are going GREAT for me :wink:

My process went sooo freaking fast! On Feb 28th I went to the informational meeting and that day scheduled my surgery for March 12. I had thought and researched lap-band for about 6 months prior to that but never thought it was possible.

My insurance company does not cover WLS. My WONDERFUL Mother agreed to pay for my surgery... so she is the reason things are the way they are.

I will say... I was stoked about getting the surgery up until like 10 minutes before I went in. I had a bad anxiety attack and could not sit still. I was so worried I would be making the wrong decision.

With that being said... this by no means at all was the wrong decision. I am so grateful for my band. :smile2:

My process went sooo freaking fast! On Feb 28th I went to the informational meeting and that day scheduled my surgery for March 12. I had thought and researched lap-band for about 6 months prior to that but never thought it was possible.

My insurance company does not cover WLS. My WONDERFUL Mother agreed to pay for my surgery... so she is the reason things are the way they are.

I will say... I was stoked about getting the surgery up until like 10 minutes before I went in. I had a bad anxiety attack and could not sit still. I was so worried I would be making the wrong decision.

With that being said... this by no means at all was the wrong decision. I am so grateful for my band. :confused:

i'm so glad! you have been doing REALLY WELL so far with your weightloss! you will be at your goal in no time i bet :w00t:

my insurance would not cover weightloss surgery for me because according to their scales, i was a 39 BMI (at the time of surgery I was a 38, and when I first looked into the band like two years ago my BMI was about 36), and I only had one co-morbidity that they listed as acceptable. boo! so in the end I ended up paying for it with the money I had set aside for college.... but only because I am graduating a year early and have the extra money.

On the plus side-- I should be pretty close to my goal by the time I graduate in August!

I'm soo happy for you, seems like everything's going great!!...But I'm am just a little envious I have to say:rolleyes: Keep up the momentum and you'll be where you want in no time, and I'll be where you are now!..hopefully..within 6 months! Keep us posted:thumbsup: