Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello from NW Arkansas!

I am 8 months post-op and doing FABULOUS! I've lost 70 lbs. and have 70 to go! I found out about Lap-band from my mother who had the surgery two years ago. I was very leery about the procedure at first bc of all of the problems my mom has had (slipped band and chronic pneumonia from the acid reflux) but I found a great surgeon and I have had absolute success.

I used to play a variety of sports during high school but ankle injuries side-lined me and I began to live a very sedentary lifestyle while taking in the same amount of calories. I'm actually very tall (6'1) and it took awhile for people to notice my weight gain. I remember going for my pre-op physical and the nurse being shocked that I actually weighed 321lbs. But since the surgery, I've rediscovered my love of physical activity. I actually look forward to my daily work outs and have to force myself to stop most of the time. I love have this much energy and I have a productive outlet for my competitive nature.

I've known about this board since before my surgery but I normally just lurked. I had some problems earlier this week after a fill and decided that I definitely need to participate more with people that KNOW what I'm going through. So here I am!

I'm looking forward to getting to know the Lap-band community!:tt2:

Welcome! It is very nice to hear stories from other banders that are doing so well! I am 3 days post-op so I am very new to the banded life.

What problems did you have with your fill? Did you get it worked out?

Welcome! It is very nice to hear stories from other banders that are doing so well! I am 3 days post-op so I am very new to the banded life.

What problems did you have with your fill? Did you get it worked out?

Thank you! How did your surgery go? My best post op advice is to get up and get moving right now. That is the best time to start your exercise program bc you are already starting the habit. Plus, it will help you recover faster. Just don't push yourself too hard!

As far as my fill, in my previous fill I somehow ended up with less cc's than I had to begin with so I was eating more and always hungry. Luckily, I didn't gain any weight, but I didn't lose any either. So this time around, we were a little more aggressive and I ended up getting 1 cc added. About two hours after my fill, I started experiencing the spasms that you have when food won't go down. Except, I hadn't eaten anything. Every thirty minutes or so I would have to go throw up this frothy substance. I couldn't eat or drink at all. I lost about 6lbs in the 16 hours it took for me to get back to the doctor and have .5 cc's taken out. As a result, my esophagus and pouch has been irriatated all week. Getting Water and food down has been extremely painful.

This is the first time that I have ever had the experience of my band being too tight and I don't recommend it at all. I'm usually very careful about making sure that my band isn't too tight before I leave the doctor's office but on Tuesday, I was running late to a class and had a project that I had to turn in. So lesson learned. In the future, I will always make sure that I have enough time scheduled in order to ensure that I can live with my fill.

Good luck with your band! You are going to love all of the new possibilities its going to open up for you!

Edited by allydd

This is the first time that I have ever had the experience of my band being too tight and I don't recommend it at all. I'm usually very careful about making sure that my band isn't too tight before I leave the doctor's office but on Tuesday, I was running late to a class and had a project that I had to turn in. So lesson learned. In the future, I will always make sure that I have enough time scheduled in order to ensure that I can live with my fill.

This is really great advise for those of us waiting to get our bands and just banded.

I've been thinking about fill days and how to handle them around my work schedule. Even though I'm salary we are expected to makeup missed time and can't take half day vacation. So I'm wondering about needing to take a whole vacation day for a fill so that I don't feel the need to rush.

Welcome to LBT! So sorry to hear about your mom's problems with the band, but glad to hear your doing so well.

Congrats on your successful weight loss! Keep up the great work and in no time you will reach goal.

Best wishes!

My surgery went well. The waking has really helped my recovery. The only pain i really have left is the port sight. I will always make sure to have enough time scheduled for my fill, Thanks for the advice on that.

Hi there!!! I'm in Arkansas too... not too far from Searcy. I'm being banded on March 25th by Dr. John Baker in Little Rock. You are doing so great! I'm excited and nervouse at the same time. I've been doing research to see which band would be best for me due to I have a lot of weight to lose, about 250 pds or so. Did you get the Lapband band? Congratulations on all the weight you've lost!!!

This is really great advise for those of us waiting to get our bands and just banded.

I've been thinking about fill days and how to handle them around my work schedule. Even though I'm salary we are expected to makeup missed time and can't take half day vacation. So I'm wondering about needing to take a whole vacation day for a fill so that I don't feel the need to rush.

Maybe you can go in an hour early or stay late and then work through lunch in order to make up the time. My appointments usually take about an hour to an hour and a half and that includes the mandatory group meeting with the office dietitian. My doctor normally schedules fills on Tuesday at 1pm so its normally between 2 pm and 2:30 when I get out. I always go to a restaurant nearby and order a baked potato. If I have trouble eating that then I know that I'm going to have problems. I should have done that at the last fill but was pressed for time. I'll know better in the future. I've already talked to the receptionist about changing my appointment schedule for this semester.

Hi there!!! I'm in Arkansas too... not too far from Searcy. I'm being banded on March 25th by Dr. John Baker in Little Rock. You are doing so great! I'm excited and nervouse at the same time. I've been doing research to see which band would be best for me due to I have a lot of weight to lose, about 250 pds or so. Did you get the Lapband band? Congratulations on all the weight you've lost!!!

Thanks! You're going to love watching the pounds just fall off. Its the best feeling! I'm so glad to hear that Dr. Baker is the one doing your surgery. My mom's surgeon was Dr. Lutrell and she's had a horrible experience with him. I do have the Lapband band and haven't had any problems with it other than with that fill. I will warn you that my weight loss hasn't been steady so don't get frustrated. I will usually drop 10 lbs. rapidly right after a fill and then gain a couple of those pounds back and then have to really exercise to lose them before I have another 10 lb drop. It's actually kind of weird and I always joke that I have to lose every pound TWICE.:)

My goal is to lose 120 pounds or so and I'm half way there at the eight month mark. My guess is that you will actually lose more weight faster than I did, especially at the beginning. It may take a little longer but I have no doubt that you will have success!

Good luck with your surgery!

Hi i am in mountain home ark. And going to the semiar tomorrow dr. Baker is the surgeon i have all my information from and a dr. J. Clay wellborn jr. I weigh 280 and on disablity medicare, they will pay for it so i am going to do it. Want some friends to help me along the way.

hi, im from the little rock area. I have been banded since 01-13-10 by Dr. Baker. CONGRADULATIONS!!

How you feeling? When do you go back to see doctor? Did you get a fill with the surgery? or wait one week for swelling to go down? sorry for all the questions, but I want to know as much as possible. Wellborn is going to be my Doctor. cherie

Hello all, I'm from the Searcy area & was banded on Dec 30th by Dr. Gibbs here in Searcy. I'm scheduled to have my first fill on Feb 12th. I'm looking forward to that as theres not much restriction now.

Good luck to all!! :biggrin:

Hello, thanks for the thread. It is nice to hear from arkansas people that are doing good. Please keep me updated on your progress, good luck and my god bless you on your journey, think positive everyday. Cherie