Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

8 cc in 9 cc Realize Band

I haven't posted in a while, but some of the posts are real mean and cruel. Not all are mean; you can figure out the ones that are.

I have the realize band and it goes up to 9 cc's, I am at a little over 7cc's according to my nurse on Wednesday. It seems a little too tight now. I'll see in two weeks, it may loosen a little.

I really hope 8cc's is in there, they took all mine out on Wednesday to see where I was, and they put it all back in. It has been a challenge these last couple of days, I feel like I am going through post op again.

Well if my saying I was wrong and apologizing isn't good enough, then you need to get a life.

Please explain how your post is helpful?

How was the helpful?

You tell me.

I apologize, I did not read an apology from you. You still sound rude even now, and I have a great life.

Edited by LLPlady3

My daughter has 8 cc in her 9 cc Realize Band. Isn't it true that the realize band is 9 cc? She can tell its there becuase some things just wont go down. She was banded in April 08. Recently she was in a hurry and grabbed one of the little powder donuts and NO WAY. It came up. However, she had never heard the term "sweet spot". The doc never mentioned it so she didn't know what this was supposed to feel like and the weight loss has stopped and gaining weight has started. The doc is three hours away so that has made things more difficult and we've had to reschedule a number of times becuase of winter weather. The other thing is that her doc will fill no more than every 4 weeks. Apparently he had some bad experiences with swelling etc. in some patients. So that has slowed her down. Anyhow she has not reached her sweet spot and she is trying to diet and lets face it, if that was an option she wouldn't have had surgery. Anyone else have to have this much Fluid before getting restriction. I just was so excited for her but now the months are just ticking by with no real progress. Then its wait another month and another month. A family member asked recently is she had her band removed or something. Thats bad. Fills were large at first. Fills were 5 cc, 1/2 cc, 1 cc, 1 cc, 1/2 cc, and still not there yet. Any encouraging words anyone. Anyone else who had this? And if so did you EVER get there and how are you doing now? I'm beginning to think the dietician is not thrilled but if it was all about low carb high Protein and nothing else then like I said she wouldn't have had surgery. And if she is at 8 already what happens when she starts to lose? There's not much more that can go in.:rolleyes:

I had a similar issue. I was banded last July. First time I went for a fill we did it w/xray. I had a little restriction, but not alot. I went in for a second, third, and forth fill. I was up to 9cc's and still not fully restricted.To make a long story short, I basically got unfilled, went back into xray, and got filled up to 10cc's and I was told we could go up to 12. I'm thinking maybe we used too big of a band. Right now I hit that "sweetspot". I don't even follow all the rules exactly, but I'm working out, and watching intake, and the band helps with the rest. I'm now losing 4-5 pounds a week. The biggest thing for me is not drinking when I eat. If I don't drink, I get full very quick. Stay patient and work with the doctor. You'll get it right, but we do have to remember it is just a tool, and you can learn to eat around the band. It's still hard work, but it's so worth it.

Edited by singledad167

Read your post again. It is not simply asking the question you wanted.

But I understand what your saying, it isn't what you really wanted to know. And for that I am sorry.

I just don't agree with someone not having restriction after 10 months. It's not that I don't believe you, its why I think you need to find someone else.

And yes I'm new, thats why I only talk about what I have been told and what I have read here, doesn't make it true, so take it or leave it.

My post may come off as attacking you, but that is not my intent, so again, I apologize.

You don't and can't know my intent, so why don't you just lay off with the whole "your not welcome here thing". It smells.

I was banded on July 16th 2008, I weighed in at 294 lbs. My doctor used the Realize lap band in me as as well. I currently have 7cc's and do not believe I have the right restriction.

I can still eat large amounts of food of any kind. So I am 7 to 8 months out now and have not had that "sweet spot" effect. I currently have an appointment a week from tomorrow to have my band adjusted at the hospital so they can determine just how much restriction I do have.

So maybe you don't think its right to not have it after months and months of being banded, but it is real. It doesn't have anything to do with my Dr as I am currently under the care of one of the top bariatric surgeons in Atlanta.

And before conclusions are drawn, I exercise 3 to 4 times a week and am currently weighing in at 191 lbs. Yes, I have had a great result, however it appears at this point to be 30% banded and 70% will power. I knew that if I didn't follow the rules religiously and exercise regularly that once I found the sweet spot I would have already re-introduced the bad behaviors I had before the surgery.

The good news is, if they do find that sweet spot then I am only 16 lbs form my goal weight and 6 lbs from my dr. goal weight for me and that will give me the stregnth for the final push.

The bottom line is, everyone is different, we all lose differently and we all react differently to this life changing event. And the last thing we need is to come to an online support group looking for answers and be judged by someone who is obvious uneducated about the issue.

In addition, it is a fact that guys burn the weight off faster than the females do. Its a tough road and you just have to find whatever means you can to be victorous over this battle!

Steve

I don't know about the Realize band,but it took me 8 months to find the sweetspot in VG 10cc Lap Band.I have 8cc's now and finally I am loosing like I want to.So I say just try to practice good eating habits,take small bites and chew chew chew because when you get there and you will get there trust me,her stomach may be smaller and it will take awhile like mine to find that spot but when you get there you must be careful how you eat,the band will make you remember the rules fast.I do believe that band as the Lap Band can be adusted past the 9cc if need be.I know people with Lap Band that is over the stated limit.Just be patient mom the next fill may well be the one she has waited for. Maybe this thread will be better for you to read.

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f278/how-many-ccs-your-band-how-86086/

Edited by Bamagal

I'm a year and two months out with 6.2cc in my realize band. I'm having tons of issues too! I've never gotten to the sweet spot. They almost got me there then I swelled totally shut and couldn't even get Water down! now i have to spend 350 to see a radiologist to see why they can't get the water out. lame I have lost but I excercise a ton a starve. My new dr gave me a diet pill until I can get to restriction phentetermine. it's helped a lot to take the edge off. I know she can go to 10cc's. that sucks for her! I really feel for her. if I have an issue I'm thinking of going back to my Dr in mexico and getting the 4cc allergan band. it's what i should have had in the first place. My Dr Rodriguez in juarez mexico isn't even doing Realize bands anymore due to the fact that people are having such a hard time getting restriction. It's still a good band, just not for me. I feel your daughters pain. Hope things go better. Chrissie Oh I've lost 70 pounds and would like to lose 30 more.

I have a Realize Band and have 6 cc's in. I am 11 months out and am only down 20 lbs. I have just now found the restriction I think is necessary to start losing weight at a faster pace even though everyone at my doctor's office says 1 to 2 lbs a week is what is healthy - I think I want it to come off faster than that - that is my main problem. I think your daughter will find her sweet spot eventually - I never thought I would either but this last fill did it. I can eat nothing but liquid for Breakfast, just a little tuna salad or something light for lunch and a larger dinner like a lean cuisine and that is about it. Thanks.

hey everyone! I wanted to give you an update. I think the last time I posted my daughter was at 8 cc and she was discouraged as her appetite was still big. She did have some issues with some vomiting but really was able to eat as much as she wanted. She was noticing nothing from the band other than occasional vomiting....strange....but not a sweet spot. At the next appointment he filled her to 8.2 cc in her 9 cc band......still no change. I called and kind of insisted that he let her come back in before the month was up and he did. They filled her to 8.5 cc and I think that did the trick. At her next visit a month later she had lost 12 pounds which was great. Maybe a little more than they would like but she had been gaining weight back so was not really making progress. Now she is 13 months out and is going the right direction again. Mind you, I must say she doesnt follow all the rules. For her it is really a matter of Portion Control. She is eating little and not even eating three times a day most days. If this works for her and she stays healthy maybe thats fine. She does need to work on liquids though. She was mostly a person who drank at meals and has had to quit that. Her dietician did say that she could take an occasional tiny tiny sip to kind of clear her throat if she needed to. Anyhow I don't think she is getting enough Water. But despite a lot negative comments from some who just wanted to say she was eating around the band, she, I believe is back on track. I can see a change in her appearance already.

Lapbandmom, I just wanted to comment about the family member who had 'asked recently if she had her band removed or something.' If I were you, I would have told them to 'MYOB, buster'. That's a quote from the late Ann Landers. People who do not have lap bands have no idea what it takes to lose weight with a lap band and they should not comment on other's weight loss. This rattles my cage.