Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was wondering what you guys are eating after the surgery? Do you gotta count calories?? Cause when I cook It's like chicken mashed potatoes and peas or corn or green Beans. Would I need to make myself something else?? Or just eat smaller amounts like a saucer size serving??? Or if we have pizza? ? Should I just eat like 1 piece instead of 4 or Can i not eat pizza at all???? I know the first month is basically just liquids but after all that....Just tell me what you eat.

Thanks

Ashley

Follow your doctor's instructions regarding food intake after you have surgery. I am presuming you have not had surgery yet.

Every doctor has different post op diet instructions during the recovery/healing phase. I did two weeks liquids, one week mushies, and then gradually had solids.

As far as what to eat after post op when you are allowed solids, you have to play it by ear. I can eat a variety of different foods and I don't get stuck. I have great restriction and eat very very small meals.

I was not a big fan of fast food, so we don't do pizza or burgers, or such. We just have home cooked meals. So when I make these meals, I eat whatever the family eats, but it is a whole lot less.

Good luck!

It's really up to you. My doc recommends eating Protein then veggies then fruit then grains/pastas and avoiding refined sugar and white flour products, BUT....he says his goal for each patient is for them to be able to eat normally but less.

Some posters here are avid calorie counters, others don't every even bother. Personally I won't "diet" because I've done it a million times, lost a bit, then gained it back plus plus. When I diet I think about food ALL the time. Part of what drew me to the band was actually being FREE of thinking about food; not having to weigh each serving and calculate the calories for each meal. As one friend I met on here put it "I didn't go through all this to eat cardboard the rest of my life".

I agree with TQUAD64 that you should follow your doc pre and post op but once you are healed, it will be up to you. It is YOUR tool and you will use it with your own style. I can still eat pizza. I don't like it as much as I did, but I do get full faster and one piece fills me up now where before I could eat 3. We got burgers the other day and I ate half of mine (and part of a small order of fries). I'll order from the kid's menu next time....and we don't do fast food as often; it's not worth the trouble to me any more.

So you will find your own way; whatever works for you!

That's how I did it and what I still do. I got a band so I would never have to diet again. But truthfully, I'd have to say losing the last stubborn pounds DOES take a diet. But apart from that, never again!

I eat all foods in moderation. I dont focus on one nutrient over another, they're kind of catching onto the lower carb thing here now, you hear more and more experts advising not to eat so much bread and Pasta and rice, but the focus here is more on fruits and vegetables, rather than Protein. Of course, my doctor advises me to get enough Protein, but more to eat a bit of EVERYTHING on my plate, becuase if I fill up on the fish and eat little veges, it really isnt a very balanced meal.

I eat healthy about 90% of the time, I allow myself to go off the rails occasionally and if I feel like popcorn at the movies, I have it! I like a glass of wine on occasion too. I dont cook differently for my family.

I put more effort into shopping and cooking now though. I'll do things like make up a really nice salad - not fond of lettuce based salads, so I made these awesome ones on the weekend - an asian noodle slaw and a broccoli, feta and hazlenut one, and that'll cover a dinner or two and lunches for Doug and I maybe 2 days of the week. I preplan a lot more.

I dont eat very many packaged foods - liek frozen dinner and prepared meals, but I never did. I dont do low fat or artificially sweetened either (apart from skim milk, hate full cream milk), if a food is high in fat or sugar, its not one to have too much of, I exercise moderation rather than sacrifice taste. Good quality, small quantity is my motto. Things like lite whipped cream in a can, ugh, to me whipped cream must be made from scratch and its best eaten like once a YEAR. If you have to turn it into something artificial like that, then its a food best not eaten.