Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Oh God,

Okay, so first I suppose I should give a little background about me....

I decided on 11/4/08 that I would look into Lab Band per the request of my pcp. My aunt and I decided to do this together as her endo has been after her to have the surgery for a year.

Had our first appt at NEMC in Boston 12/15/08. They said banding wouldn't be an issue and thought it was a good choice because of my weight and blossoming health issues (high BP, chlesterol, diabetes). I was 242 at that visit.

They told my aunt to think about bypass, because of her age, the amount of meds she's on to regulate the same problems I have and she is a heart pt. too.

I went in last weds 1/14/09 for Immersion Day, where you meet with everyone and their grandmother (except for the surgeon). The shrink used the same arguments for the band to tell me to think about bypass! My aunt, they still said consider the bypass, which she is.

Needless to say, I am a little wigged. The bypass to me is SOOOOOOO totally different than a band. Its like rewiring your insides versus sticking a scrunchie on your stomach. Plus there are more complications to think about, dumping syndrome, food intolerances.....and (I apologize if I offend anyone) I dont think I am sick enough or large enough for the bypass. Again, I dont mean to offend....I just think of the bypass as something more drastic for larger people with more health issues than I have....

So I need some advice, input, and HEEELLLLPPPPP!!!!!

In a perfect world I would lose 100 lbs. Realistically, I'd like to shoot for 80-90 from my highest weight of 242. I know it will be harder with the band. But I am already down 10 lbs!!!

Do I want to end up not losing weight and have to have a revision to the bypass? HELL NO!!

Do I want to lose too much weight and look emaciated? NO THANKS!

Do I like that its harder to lose with the band? NOPE

Do I like the idea of rewiring my insides? NO WAY JOSE!

But I guess I like the idea of working harder to lose the weight better than I like the idea of rewiring my insides and all the extra risks and side effects of a bypass......

Any help, questions, input, ideas or other thoughts are greatly appreciated!!!!

It sounds like you are convinced that the band is the way to go for you... You know yourself better than a Dr. would. It sounds like you knows the facts and the differences and you should go with your gut!

You answered your own question. It occurs to me that it was the psych that told you to consider bypass. Why would that be, do you think? So you'd mull it over and be SURE you wanted the band, maybe? Just a thought (not a psychiatrist, but "hip" to their ways LOL)

There are (amazes me) a few unfortunate people on here who get rushed through, rubber stamped, and then come to in recovery in HORROR that they have a "THING" in them, etc. Those poor souls should NOT have been banded until they were ready, and they obviously weren't yet!....that's as important as getting the liver ready, your kitchen ready, etc. What's between the ears can make or break the band. So it sounds to me like your docs are just really being thorough, and that's a good thing.

I weighed 405 and no one tried to talk me into bypass...but then I'd been mulling the lap band since 2003.

Edited by RestlessMonkey

I have been thinking about weightloss surgery for about a year . I thought i would want the bypass but after thinking about it and researching i have decided on the band .

hopefully my surgery will take place in the early part of February . It was scheduled for 1/13 but had to reschedule due to a sleep issue ( i never knew i had )

If you feel the lapband is the better choice then i would go with that

I also had a some second guessing about wether this was the right surgery for me , I thought about it all the way to right before they put me to sleep..And yes even though I'm only a month and a half out I am SOOOOOOOOO glad that I went with the band...for all the reasons you listed and more. And further more I also agree that at our age and weight (we are very close in age and starting weight) that RNY would be waaay to drastic....But that isn't to say I hadn't thought of it..the lure of super fast weight loss was very appealling....In your heart you know what's best for YOU!:)

You have to weigh the choices and find what is right for you. You already sound sold on the band, so that might just be the best choice for you.

One thing you can look at are your eating habits. Banding works great for people who are chronic overeaters. It doesn't work as well for junk food addicts or people who graze continuously throughout the day.

Can you stick to 3-5 set meals a day? Can you eliminate sweets, chips and soda from your diet? If so, it definitely sounds like banding is a great choice.

I think that if you believe you arent sick enough or large enough to justify a bypass, then that's not the surgery for you. I would never ever have considered it for my situation either.

My psych dr. also tried to talk me into By-pass. I was wondering if he got a cut of the $$ for every by-pass my surgeon does. The Psych I went to is like a partner of the surgeon's office.

Once I explained to him my reasons for wanting to go with the band and not the by-pass however, his attitude changed a bit and he agreed that the band was the best choice for me.

I think it's just a tactic to see if you've done any type of research and some soul searching as well to make sure you are secure in your decision.

The the next big decision I had to make was do I want the Realize Band or the LapBand. Im opting for the Lapband for a few reasons. 1) I've held them both in my hands and I felt that the Lapband was a little sturdier - I liked the look of the inside where the saline goes. It just seemed thicker and more secure. 2) The port seemed just a little smaller 3) My dr. has been doing this procedure using the Lapband for much longer than he's been using the Realize band.

Bottom line is - you have to do what you feel is best for you. Don't let anyone talk you into something you're not comfortable doing.

Best of luck to you - I hope you get your band and LOVE it!

First... I don't mean to offend anyone who has had gastric bypass, but really, I can't imagine why one would choose the bypass over the band.

A RNY gastric bypass is such major surgery and is about 10x riskier than the band. Nutrients arent' absorbed well with the bypass... a friend of mine who had it has skin that looks so gray and has had multiple surgeries since due to complications.

I realize that some insurances only cover bypass and not the band, but to me, this is insane for cost and health purposes.

I had my lap band "installed" 20 days ago and I feel great. I didn't need any pain meds after the surgery, and was back at work in 4 days (desk job). I'm losing weight steadily and can't wait for my first fill.

Best of luck with your procedure... which ever one you choose!

Ok So Just so you know , I felt the same way you do.I was told by my Dr that I was a good candidate for either one, However there is another option that I have not seen mentioned, It is called a Gastric sleeve, this is what I really wanted toget but INS does not cover any of it yet since it is a new procedure, This is sort of like getting a bypass in 2 parts but only half way, Lemme explain, they basically staple the stomach, but do not rearrange your insides at all, they just staple Cut off the excess and you are good to go. Like one long tube, unfortunatly I did not have the funds available, But I would ask my Dr about it. Also In one of your visits to Your Dr ask him about everything! I did, Just remember that the band does not have to be permanent, years down the road they could come up with something better,also I asked my DR about complications, for example if there would have been a tumor or something on my stomach then he would have had to go a different route insted of the band, while I was under, I let him know that if that happened what I really wanted was the sleeve if anything was wrong.Still all your choice. Good Luck. It was a breeze for me.