Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What should I buy now to eat post op?

Hi everyone,

I am being banded this Sunday, 25th. My doc has only told me that I will be 2 weeks liquid and 2 weeks mushy post op but I am not sure what to buy now. Can someone tell me what the 'clear fluids' are and the 'liquids'? I want to buy the food I will need now so it will be in the cupboard for when I get home after my op. I guess my doc will tell me more when I am at the hospital but I won't want to go food shopping then! :)

I'd be grateful if you could go into more detail about what liquids you can drink! I have some 'lighterlife' shakes an Soups in (like Cambridge diet). Will they be any good? Thanks.

Good morning Hope09. Congratulations on the beginning of your new life!

A clear liquid diet is just that, anything liquid you can see through would be clear liquid. This includes apple, cranberry or grapejuice, clear broths, Gelatin or Gelatin Water, cofee or tea and fortified clear liquid replacements. You can also have sugar free popsicles. Mushies are pretty much anything you can puree. Applesauce, (they have a large variety of fruit sauces in the 4 oz sizes) pear sauce, different flavored apple sauces, sugar free puddings, fruitless yogurts. I bought a "magic bullet" and pureed anything I wanted to eat. Of course they were healthy foods. The thought of eating pureed foods was and still is not that appealing, but it tasts just like it would if you didn't puree it and were just chewing it up. Remember too, that after your surgery your stomach will be swollen from being manipulated so you really need to be nice to it. Try really hard not to cheat. Good luck to you on your journey!

I would suggest buying some probiotic yougurt, like activia. It will help replace the good bacteria that you will lose when you are taking the heavy duty antibiotics during surgery. I found something called "good belly" at my grocery store. Within a day of starting the "good belly" all the gurgglies in my stomach and intestines stopped.

Best of luck during surgery.

-Fran

wondering more about what you mentioned "happy belly"? I live in CA can you tell me about the store where you found this product. Sounds like a winner for the stomach noises I read about. Thanks and any other info you would share would be appreciated. I get banded on the 21st , that is this WED. so excited thanks again and great work with your band!:scared2:

I lived off of Slim fast shakes and Atkins shakes, the onew without sugar for low carb Hi Protein diets. This saved me. yes I had a noisy belly for a couple of weeks. I did not do yogurt till after the 2 weeks were up. I stayed strictly liquid.

I had upwards of 4 shakes a day but rem this was mostly protein and yes you will be cranky, Its ok! I just went for my 2 week check last Thursday and I went on to soft foods, yogurt , grits scrambled eggs and oatmeal , mashed potatos. etc. So far so good. I had not had my first fill. but I can tell when I have had enough, does not take much.

:wink2:

My diet was first Clear Liquids - anything you can see through without sugar in it (so no fruit juice). Nutrition stores like GNC have a ready-to-drink clear liquid Protein drink called Isopure. Popcicles, Jello.

Next was liquids, Protein shakes, milk, yogurt smoothies with no added sugar, blended Soups. Make sure everything is pretty thin. Even some Protein Shakes are a little too thick. Just add more Water.

Next was mushies - pureed meats are ok if mixed with some mayo (chicken salad), fat free refried Beans, thinned with a little Water, puddings, yogurts, soups with Beans for Proteins, but make sure you can mash the beans with a fork. vanilla egg custard from Bariatriceating.com is a great recipe. Check out BariatricEating.com Health & Nutrition - Bariatric recipes. Also, sugar free pumpkin pie, made in individual ramekins without the crust is really good.

My favorite mushie lately is Hormel canned tamales. I know, they don't sound that good, but I really like them with a little light sour cream. And they're a great lunch when I'm feeling tight because they're soft and the meat in them is ground up really well.

Hope this helps.

In the beginning I ate ice pops they were my best friend. powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury Protein chicken broth You can find it online. sugar free and fat free broths and juices for the clear days. try to take a liquid Vitamin too. For the full liquids protien shakes you have to find one you like, greek yogurt the best is FAGE I think it has sugar but lots of protien you can even find it plain and it tastes great. Try it! Tomato Soup was awesome! Then I moved on to egg beaters, tofu with seasoning hard boiled eggs just chew it small and it will fill you up. FF cream Soups skim milk and soy milk vanilla and chocolate in my shakes too. a food processor is a great friend or a really good blender. Fat free refried Beans are good too. I processed everything, ham tuna, chicken, pork, with some veges in it. yams... I guess you get the picture. Good luck on your journey and chew chew chew and walk walk walk. drink your Water and follow what your doc says to a T.

Take Care, Angcal26

Edited by angcal26
adding