Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post OP....How did you feel 72 hours post op??

I have a sticky situation and I'll try to make it short. I've been planning my Lap band surgery for months now and anxious to be banded. I'm over a week into the very difficult pre op Liquid Protein diet and doing well (i've lost 9 lbs). My surgery is scheduled for Monday and my grandmother just passed away and the funeral is scheduled for Wed. I called the Dr. office and they thought I should feel ok. I've talked with other banders and they all seemed to be feeling better and getting themselves off pain meds on around day 3 or 4. I have family comming in from all over and don't want anyone to know. I've told my immediate family (mom, dad, brother, uncle). Any advice??? tell me how you were feeling?? I have never had surgery before, but feel like I'm pretty tolerant of pain and I'm healthy (except for the weight issue) and I exercise regularly. I really don't want to reschedule, I've already done that once due to the holidays and all.......I should have kept my original date. I don't mind being soar on the incision site....Pain meds should help a bit. I'm worried about internal soarness.....is it really bad???? I'm also not worried about the not eating part either.....I've done it all week and no one really notices... I just keep a drink in my hand and sip on that....Sorry this was long....help!!!

I was sore a week out but since you don't mind being sore, move forward with the surgery if you're comfortable. You'll do fine. Those who don't know will attribute your not eating with the sorrow in the loss of your grandmother. My condolences and prayers!!!

I have a sticky situation and I'll try to make it short. I've been planning my Lap band surgery for months now and anxious to be banded. I'm over a week into the very difficult pre op liquid Protein diet and doing well (i've lost 9 lbs). My surgery is scheduled for Monday and my grandmother just passed away and the funeral is scheduled for Wed. I called the Dr. office and they thought I should feel ok. I've talked with other banders and they all seemed to be feeling better and getting themselves off pain meds on around day 3 or 4. I have family comming in from all over and don't want anyone to know. I've told my immediate family (mom, dad, brother, uncle). Any advice??? tell me how you were feeling?? I have never had surgery before, but feel like I'm pretty tolerant of pain and I'm healthy (except for the weight issue) and I exercise regularly. I really don't want to reschedule, I've already done that once due to the holidays and all.......I should have kept my original date. I don't mind being soar on the incision site....Pain meds should help a bit. I'm worried about internal soarness.....is it really bad???? I'm also not worried about the not eating part either.....I've done it all week and no one really notices... I just keep a drink in my hand and sip on that....Sorry this was long....help!!!

Hi Wendy. I'm very sorry to hear about your grandma.

Of course this isn't the same, but I felt I had to attend a going away party for my friend's son who was leaving for boot camp. The party was two days after I had surgery (surgery Thurs, party Sat). I didn't tell them I was having surgery, and I wanted to keep it private. I was off my narcotic med by then, but I was still taking Tylenol, however, I forgot to take any before the party. Anyway, I did just fine, and really just felt a little sore around the port incision.

Sorry about your loss.....

72 hours out I felt like crap. Mostly the gas pain. But walking helps with that. I am really sensative to narcotics so the pain meds made me really sick so that made it worse. Extra Strength Tylenol worked better then the narcotics. Just take it easy.

I'm sorry to hear of your loss. If I were in your shoes, I would go ahead and get the surgery as scheduled. 72 hours later was probably one of my most sore days, but walking around helped break up the gas a lot. (Not the kind you poot, but the kind from where they inflated your stomach in surgery.) Honestly, the pain meds will help you feel better and feel up to sitting through a funeral. I saw a movie my third day out and that's longer than a funeral. Also, the oxycodone or what-have-you will make you fairly somber, so that may actually help, in a way.

First, I'm really sorry about your grandmother. I just lost mine in December and I still struggle with it every day. For me the pain 3 days out was some of the worst pain I had with mine. I was readmitted to the hospital that day for dehydration also. I had never had abdominal surgery before and clearly underestimated the pain I was going to be in. I'm 8 days out today and doing the best so far.

I think if you know your body well enough to know that you'll be fine you should go ahead with it. If you're questioning it a lot in your head I would say to postpone a few days.

Thanks all for all of your posts. It really makes me feel better knowing how everyone else did. I know that going to the funeral is a MUST!!! I MUST go or I'll forever regret it. The after party, I would hate to miss, but could if I was feeling really bad. I will be able to find a seat somewhere in a corner and talk with family and I know walking and standing will help the gas. I think I'll say I've been ill with the flu and my stomach is still a little queeze if anyone asks or the hugging gets to be too much. I'm tolarnt of pain meds and I think I'll explain the situation with my doctor before the surgery and maybe he can give me other pain meds that might be stronger if I'm feeling bad. All of your comment have made me feel more at ease about going forward.

My brother had Lapricopic Gastric Bypass and he said he was not feeling well 72 hours after, but Bypass is much more invasive and I feel not at all the same. Wouldn't you agree????? Keep the comments coming.... Makes me feel better about my decision to go forward. Thanks for all your kind words about my Granny tooo!!!!

Yeah, Bypass is hella-invasive. Lapband really isnt a big deal. I mean, it's major surgery... but I rode to the beach the next day and was walking around, shopping four days later. Dont push yourself, and definitely take it easy, but you should be fine. :3

sorry for your lost. I was sore and had some discomfort but I was still able to take care of my baby, go shopping and get my eye brows waxed. Dress very comfortable, I made the mistake of wearing jeans that were a little tight. You should be fine.

So sorry to hear about your loss.......

I had my surgery on a Monday and on that following Wednesday morning I had a function at my son and daughter's school I felt fine for the most part. Getting up and sitting down was the hardest but manageable. Again sorry about your loss and will send some prayers up for you and your family.

I was taking care of my 4 and 3 year old 4 days post op with no problem. i could not lift my children, that was about it.

WendyMary,

I had surgery two days ago. I am sore but my doctor perscribed Vicadin for the pain and while that is in my body I really feel very good. Of course after it wears off, I get the pain back. My suggestion is to take the pain medication before you leave (make sure someone drives you though). Then maybe take some more before the family gathering. Watch out for the hugging, though. My little girl keeps wanting to hug me but her head is level with my incisions so that can get uncomfortable.

You comfort level will be affected by the amount of gas inside your body. My friend and I are doing the surgery together (she 2 weeks before me) and she had tremendous pain from gas. I only have minimal gas.

I started walking right away though, even making a trip to the end of our long street and back. I have to be off my meds by Saturday because my husband goes back to work and I have three kids that I have to cart around to various sports all weekend long.

I hope things work out for you. It is hard to go through surgery while grieving a loved one. If you'd like I'll post again at 72 hours and let you know how I am feeling.

I felt terrible 72-hours out, but I had complications. However, I have read lots of posts on this forum that people go back to work in 72-hours, so barring no complications you should be good.

I am so sorry for your loss. This is a difficult time for you. When a love one dies, people have a tendency to go on auto-pilot; forgetting to feel their emotions.

Part of our emotions involve pain and being tired. Thus, please make sure you don't over exert yourself. If you become tired or are in pain, excuse yourself from activities. Your health and care are important to everyone.

Good luck with your surgery.

Sorry to hear about your loss. I was sore, just listen to your body and don't forget to follow the rules. Drink what you can and get you Vitamins in you may be sore still and tired but by next week or so you will feel 100 % better. Good luck!!!

:thumbup: