Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How's everyones incisions?

2 of mine are healing just fine. I can't see the port one because it still has the butterfly bandages all raggedy around it. I *think* it's okay. The small one about an inch above my belly button has faired crummy though. The scab fell off and it's a bit open (looks like a deep cut ) probably from the waistband of my pants. My swelling is down a lot but I can notice a little lopsidedness around where my port is on the left. I keep imaging the tubing and port and freaking myself out. Anyone else feel this way or am I a total poodle?

I'm trying to close the little open incision with a little hello kitty bandage but dunno how well thats working. It's TOTALLY grossing me out though and worrying me because I'm 20 days out and not all the way healed yet.

Are all of you completely healed on your incisions?

Edited by bethm

Mine are itching like crazy. I was banded December 23rd. I have a few incisions I thought might not be healing right but the doctor told me not to worry unless they completely open up. I have figured out were my port is and it seems like the most sore.

I removed the tape when the doc told me to and everything looked fine, but, now the big incision in the middle is a little infected. I was told this morning to clean with peroxide 3x daily... hope it clears up before my first fill!

19 pounds to date!

Mine are doing very well. Maybe on Friday when it's been 4 weeks since surgery I will be brave enough to do a one month surgerversary photo. All my incisions are looking good. Just the normal pinkness that you see after any cut until the scar is fully healed.

Mine are 80% healed, just a few scabs. Mine were sealed with Dermabond and with time the adhesive washed away and i was left with small scabs.

I also had the durmabond. I go back to work tomorrow and I am still wondering how to explain my weight loss to people who have no clue I had this done. Does anyone have any advise? I have lost 19 pounds since I started the preop diet and since surgery. What is the expected amount of weight loss each week?:wink2:

I am just posting this because I had a MAJOR infection after my csection...so to prevent it...since yours is open a bit - otherwise it could happen!

Watch it - if it gets redder or hot GO TO THE DOCTOR

shower and use soap and Water to clean it

I even had to blow dry it after the shower to make sure it was good and dry...

fold your pants down so they DO NOT RUB on your incision at all. If you have to wear pj pants as much as possible.

an open one is not something you want to mess with and they make very ugly scars...but as long as you are taking care of it it will be okay.

my doctor told me to put polysporin on it too after it was completely dried. I actually had to wash it, dry it three times a day until the infection went away.

mine was so bad though that I couldnt just use soap and Water - I had to use a special wash but I cant remember what it was darn

good luck :wink2:

My incisions are doing good. I can't see my port incision because my steri strips haven't come off there yet, but it's close.

denal8 I didn't tell very many people at my work about the surgery. I've lost 33lbs since dec 1st and the funny thing is that no one has really said anything about my weight loss but i do catch some people looking. It's fine with me that they aren't saying anything, it makes it easier for me! hahaha As for what to say when people do notice you could tell them that you are taking your new years resolution seriously this year. Or that your doctor has put you on a strict diet and exercise plan.

The dermabond is just starting to peel & fall off - the one scar that is totally revealed looks good, but it is the smallest of the 5. As the dermabond peels up it gets caught on my shirt and that is a little irritating... but at least none of them look infected/red at all (so that's a good thing!!)

Has anyone heard of a good lotion (or potion) that we can put on to to heal the scars "pretty"?? (my Dr said that I could buy some Vitamin E liquid gels and poke them to squeeze the liquid onto the scars...)

I also had the durmabond. I go back to work tomorrow and I am still wondering how to explain my weight loss to people who have no clue I had this done. Does anyone have any advise? I have lost 19 pounds since I started the preop diet and since surgery. What is the expected amount of weight loss each week?:wink2:

Every persons weightloss after surgery is going to be different. Some people have restriction right a way while others won't have any restriction until their first fill. The medical staff from my surgeons office says 2 to 3 lbs a week but for me in my first three weeks I have already lost 24 lbs.

I had DermaBond, then Steri-strips and large guaze bandages on top. I was banded on December 17 and even with soap and Water in the shower every day, my bandages are just starting to peel up on the edges. Everything looks fine and there is no redness or soreness anywhere, so I am not worried. I just hope the doctor does not do the "Band-Aid Rip" to get the guaze off next week at my follow up appointment. I may work on the large bandages myself before then and just let the strips fall off in their own time. I am glad there are no stitches or staples to remove. I would definitely be dreading their removal.....:wink2:

Vitamen E oil is the best way to heal scars after surgery. I had a scar that went all the way across my forhead as a child and my mom put vitamen e oil on it everyday and you can't see it.

I had DermaBond, then Steri-strips and large guaze bandages on top. I was banded on December 17 and even with soap and Water in the shower every day, my bandages are just starting to peel up on the edges. Everything looks fine and there is no redness or soreness anywhere, so I am not worried. I just hope the doctor does not do the "Band-Aid Rip" to get the guaze off next week at my follow up appointment. I may work on the large bandages myself before then and just let the strips fall off in their own time. I am glad there are no stitches or staples to remove. I would definitely be dreading their removal.....:laugh:

Whatever you do don't try to pull off the steri strips. It can blister if your skin isn't ready. I was playing with one of mine and pealed it back a little and sure enough I got a tiny little blister.

hi all

mine is healing just fine i see my port as it sticks out some. all my glue has fell of i did notice a very small part on where my port is has a small scab on it only in the corner. other than that its all good.