Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I can't believe my Dad sent me this!!

Sometimes I just don't understand my Dad. I'm doing so good. I can't beleive he sent me this quote. I think it's sad. He's got diabetes, doesn't take care of himself, is grossly overweight, his legs are black from lack of ciruculation and I see him losing his legs before it's all over. What the hell is he thinking? Why would he want the same for me??????

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Have a great Holiday Season!

Maybe he just sent it with a sense of humour thinking it was funny...personally I do think its amusing...its just saying dont take life too seriously have fun..lighten up and dont read to deeply into it!:biggrin:

Maybe he just sent it with a sense of humour thinking it was funny...personally I do think its amusing...its just saying dont take life too seriously have fun..lighten up and dont read to deeply into it!:biggrin:

Of course Aubrie, we don't know your dad, but sometimes, being a close relative makes us over analyze everything they say to us. I'd take it like xxlaneyxx suggests. I personally like the quote too because it shows an attitude of "live life to the fullest."

I thought the same thing. Don't know him but he probably just thought it was a good quote... I do. To me it is just saying - have fun and make the most out of every day. Becky

I've read it before and always thought it was funny! Of course, I'm 53...I can relate. I don't want to go out encased in plastic, I want to get every last drop out of life and be "ready' to go. That's the way I always took it.

I thought that quote sounded familiar, but slightly different. I found it in the Signals catalog. There it says," Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming 'Wow What a Ride!'"

So your dad's version has the addition of chocolate. So be it. I don't think he's being mean, just trying to encourage you to live your life to the fullest. Which is exactly what you are doing in getting banded and ensuring you have a great time with the rest of your life. By getting banded and getting healthy, you have accomplished one huge thing that could have been a "what if" at the end of the ride. Good for you.

Well, I have heard variations of this one a dozen times - always hated it. But if he sends that, whether or not it is good, at least it sounds like he enjoys whatever life he has.

If he sent that to you, he is not saying he wants you to have a mess of a life, but wants you to enjoy life as it is.

Like I said, I dislike that quote, but it is nice to have someone wanting you to have fun.

I guess you all are right. maybe I was just overly sensitive at the moment I read it. I also hate to see what he's doing to himself. It hurts. It hurts to see my mother sad and fretting over it. I'm sure he wants what's best for me. When I went home for his 50th wedding anniversary over Labor Day weekend, he told me I looked like a movie star. It was the sweetest thing he ever said to me, but for him, family, hearth and home, comfort, joy and celebrations means food. I turned down most of his offerings of goodies, and he used to LOVE to make a big Breakfast for me. Maybe it was just hard for him to accept the change. I think he took the rejection of home cooked food personally. He grew up dirt poor and hungry. To be able to provide an abundance of food to his family means something different to him than the rest of us. I just have to keep reminding myself of that. Thanks for putting it all in perspective. What would I do without all of you for a sounding board?

I am sure like the other said that he was just sending it as a funny quote and not to insult or insinuate that's how you should be either.

I am super sensitive when close relatives to me make jokes or send me something that could in someway be directed towards me.... even though it never really is. I just have a messed up way of thinking though.

Aubrie,

To my dad, food is the meaning of love. He too grew up poor and hungry. Food in the house and a roof over my head was his way of telling me I was loved.

I wanted to be loved a lot apparently because I ate and ate. :thumbup:

However, we are grown and we know that different people show love in different ways. You don't need to eat the food to share in the love. Bless your daddy's heart.

And about the quote, my mother had a similar one, "Live hard, die young and leave a beautiful corps." Ick.

She lived hard, but didn't die young, she's still around and the corps isn't going to be beautiful.

I'd rather live will, die old and leave happy memories for the people who loved me.

Happy Holidays!

Peace.

The quote put a smile on my face. Live life to your fullest.

The quote makes sense to me as well and I wouldn't take it too seriously :0). Live life to the fullest.

With all your concerns with your father overshadowing everything . . . perhaps you should have a heart to heart talk with him to let him know how you feel and how worried you are about him.