Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HELP! Thinking of canceling tomorrow surgery

I understand what you are going through - I'm leaving in a few hours for the hospital - my surgery is this afternoon. I have been going through this journey since January and am so nervous that the day is finally here. I stopped reading the negative posts because they were also scaring me. But I'm ready and willing to take this chance and start a new journey in my life. Good luck to you!

I get banded on Friday (day after tomorrow) and am having similar cold feet. I just keep reminding myself that happy people aren't generally online that much telling their story. They are out living their lives. However, unhappy people are online a LOT, looking for help, information, commiseration or even just a place to complain. It is disproportionate.

I addressed all my concerns wtih my surgeon. He says if I do what i am supposed to do, there is no reason I will not lose ALL the weight I need to lose. 100% chance of success if I am compliant. So that goes for you too. We can do this!

I feel like I have to share my surgery story with you!

I have wanted to have the Lapband for a long time and I was so excited when I found out my insurance would cover it.

I was scared from the moment I decided to really do it!

But I was excited too.

I have been on the yo-yo band wagon for years and the one thing I kept thinking about was that what weight came off each time came back plus some!

The morning I went for surgery I was so nervous I was crying even as I was talking to the Dr before the surgery.

I kept telling my husband maybe I should not have the surgery done.

It is so scarry to make a life change.

My DH assured me that this was the right thing to do.

So I trusted him!

The first week was the hardest but it gets easier.

8 weeks out I am so happy I did it.

I know now I have the help I need to accomplish my goal.

I always have my support with me (my band).

My DH helps me when I need someone with real skin on as does this board.

I did the same reading of the "scare threads" and that can do a mental number on your head so I stopped! I don't go there anymore.

I too have a friend who only lost 30 lbs and gained it all back.

She does not eat like she should but that is her choice.

She has fills and unfills at will.

I choose to use this tool as it is intended; to make a life style change.

When she my friend saw me loosing weight she said she was tired of being a Lapband failure and has gotten back on track.

It is not a "quick fix" by any stretch of the imagination!

I think you will be happy once you get past the fear!

Hang in there!

Sash

i had the same feeling you are having, maybe even worse. I was so excited about having the surgery until that set the date. Then dread set in and regret. Was a ready to make such a huge change in my life. I was calling everyone and even on this website chat room looking for the answers. Should I have the surgery. I come so close to calling and telling the doctor I was not ready or making up some story. I think one of the things that kept me heading towards the hospital is that so many people knew I was having the surgery and was so supportive I did not want to let them down. But 3 weeks out. I know that I have made the right decision. I have only lost 15 pounds so far but that is the first time I have lost weight instead of gain in years. I know that the road ahead will not be easy. Sometimes I find myself wishing I could go back to the way I was eating and then I realize. I was not happy. I am ready for happy. food filled my life. I was life to fill my life. If I had not scared to death and all went forward with this I would never lose the weight on my own. If I could have I would have done it already. It is a big decision. It is a life changing surgery. But it is the choice for life. I hope this helps you. If you need to talk let me know.

good luck to all those being banded this wk - i think this thread turned into one of the positive ones by everyone's comments!

I hear you loud and clear. I had the surg. a little over a year ago, I am a slow looser i lost about 60 lbs (hey but i loosing)When I read how much other people lost I think what am I doing wrong? Nothing everyone is different. It is gonna work dif. for everyone. As for you can do it on ww, Well maybe you can I couldn't. This is the longest I stuck to a program (ha ha ha)I laugh because yes I am human I do cheat but I cant get carried away like I use to. I cant.Well good luck I hope this helps you out.

Thank you all for your posts. I feel much better. I leave here in about 3 hours for the surgery. Hopefully to be home around 4. I need to do this in order to lose the weight. I will just go in and when I get in the operating room I am gonna close my eyes and imagine myself lying in the beach in Hawaii in a bikini. :rolleyes2: LOL

I am so glad we all have each other for support.

Give it 6 months and according to statistics you'll be thanking your lucky stars for being banded :rolleyes2:)

Check back in when you get back! Enjoy the loopy stuff.

Guest BikiniBeachy

Look - those people have valid stories, of course.

But, give yourself a chance. See how successful you and your body can be.

And say 3-4 years from now your at goal, and it erodes...you get it out. You work with it, you'll survive it so I highly doubt some of the people who say they 'wish they had never done it' because of a band slippage/etc were very successful in the first place.

Goodluck!

I went through those feelings up to the time they wheeled me into surgery. I thought I can just get up and walk out of here. But I kept thinking that this is what I wanted and needed to live a happier healthy life. I talked to many people with good and bad stories, but I knew that I would work the band and it would change my life for the better forever. I am 3 months out and lost 50 lbs. I feel great no problems at all. No throwing up, PB's or sliming. I mentally had to adjust myself to thinking I was doing this to live longer with my family. I only want to lose 100 more and know that with this tool I will do it and maintain my weight loss not like before. So I ask you to dig deep inside and take the risk to be successful. With support and following your surgeon and nutritionist's advice you will succeed. Good luck and if you have any questions please private message me. Angcal26:thumbup:

I get banded on Friday (day after tomorrow) and am having similar cold feet. I just keep reminding myself that happy people aren't generally online that much telling their story. They are out living their lives. However, unhappy people are online a LOT, looking for help, information, commiseration or even just a place to complain. It is disproportionate.

I addressed all my concerns wtih my surgeon. He says if I do what i am supposed to do, there is no reason I will not lose ALL the weight I need to lose. 100% chance of success if I am compliant. So that goes for you too. We can do this!

Gently, I'll be there with you in spirit. I don't know what time your surgery is, but mine is 2:30pm. :rolleyes2:

Whew! It's over I did it. Went by fast. Check in at 11:45 out by 4:14. Not too bad. Not much pain so far just gas pain and pressure. Was able to have yogurt smoothies, Jello, and Tomato Soup. For those of you who are waiting for your surgery. It really was not that bad at all. I would to it again. Well maybe not tomorrow. LOL .

Thanks for all your kind words and thoughts.

Let me know if I can be of any help to any of you out there.

:thumbup:

Its been a year for me and I love my band. Lost 60 lbs and have kept it and don't feel so obsessed with losing. Can't do the fast food run ect. so I feel much more in control!! Still have more to go but loving it everyday!!

Did you cancel? I am schedule for the 2nd feel the same way as you. tell of how you are :-)

Thank you all for your words of encouragement. I need to do this. I have been thinking about it all morning. I am never gonna get thin and stay there without it, or I would have already. I want to be around for my kids. I am tired of being that "fat girl". I am so glad we have this website to be able to reach out to others that are going thru the same things.

THANK YOU!~ :thumbup: