Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is anyone's doc as severe as mine?

I'm so happy I found this site. I've been reading for the last two weeks and finally decided it's time to join. It's a great site and has given me so much support.

I was banded on 9/23/08 and already lost at least 26 pounds but it's been challenging. I have no restriction, my first fill isn't until 10/21. What I'm curious about is if anyone else has such a strict doc as mine. I was on a clear liquid diet for two weeks preop and now I'm on a liquid diet for 4 weeks! That's six weeks liquid diet and I admit it's very challenging and I've had a few mistakes and I'm scared my band will slip.:crying:

Oh goodness that is a long time glad I don't have to do it I'm on a 1000 cal diet 2 weeks before surgery and only doing liquid for 2 weeks after surgery. Hang in there you can do it.

Carol

Thank you! Since you're doc let you have more than liquid after two weeks, I feel better. I can't wait till my first fill!

My 1st fill was at 6 weeks, but only 1 1/2 cc in a 14 cc band.

I was, post op, on Clear Liquids one week (broth, Water, and sf Jello ONLY) then 1 week full liquids (add in Protein shakes) That was awful but I did it; I can't imagine going 6 weeks! WOWIE! but the odds of you ever having slipping or erosion will be about 0 I'd think once you've healed that well!

Another benefit of you doing liquids so long is your awesome weight loss! That is weight that is gone forever! Also, you should not have to worry about band slippage because of how long your doctor is allowing you to heal. Keep up with good work.

I wanted to ask anyone.....Has ever had the Gastric Bypass?I know it has been around for 35 yrs.But how far has that surgery come? Can anyone tell me if it is worth it? Thanks:huh2:

I was banded on 3rd Sept and my doc was super strict, he said one month liquid, one month mushies and one month soft food and I stayed in hospital for two nights and he wanted me to stay three cause I was by myself,(I was banded in Delhi, India by Arun Prassad he is a excellent surgeon). Of corse me being me,after two weeks I had a soft serve ice-cream and then at three and a half weeks started mushies last week started on soft foods but only once a day. I am booked in to see a doc at home here this week, but don't know if I should get a fill or not.

My surgery is scheduled for 11/11, and YES, you need to hear that my diet plan is the same as yours. I don't know how much reading you have done about lapband surgery, but I have done a ton, and plan to stick with what my Dr. suggests. In all the reading that I have done, I think those with strict diet plans (like our Drs suggest) have done the best..... so what more motivation can we have other than to do great? That's my opinion and don't expect that others have to agree, but it's what will get me through tough days. Best of luck!!

I agree that whomever you are, you should do what YOUR doctor directs. S/he is the one with the experience and knows how his/her patient base reacts post op. They are the ones truly up on the science, not anecdotal stories. So do what your doc says, if you trust him/her. If you don't, why on earth would you let that person cut into you? Get another doc! LOL

Yep, I agree, the strict doctors seem to have lots of success. I'm on my pre-op liquid diet (3 Protein shakes/day plus one extra if I need it, V8 juice, that's about it). Then I think I'll be on clear liquids for a couple of days to a week (can't remember exactly which), another 2 to 4 weeks of Protein shakes, on to mushies, and then finally real food. He's been doing bariatric surgery since 1987 and has done 1000s of Lap Bands. Before he did bariatric surgery he specialized in stomach surgeries and issues. My regular doctor referrred me to him, and said this surgeon has had the fewest complications of any he's ever referred people to. SO - whatever the doctor says works for me. I've actually done okay, since I've been drinking Protein Shakes for Breakfast for a couple of weeks anyway (just to get used to them) before starting the pre-op diet. I didn't get my surgery date until two days ago, and the date is now only 8 days away (still to be verified, but 90% sure). The weight loss has been great and surprising. Never thought I could feel good on just Protein shakes and vegetables but so far, so good! My surgeon has recipes for how to make protein shakes more interesting, and I've tried some - they're not bad! Surprised me to try diet orange soda with Protein powder and ice, and that it was actually good, like an old 50/50 popsicle. Anyway, the experience so far has been good. I was basically scared by a high blood pressure reading to finally get this whole thing started, so staying alive keeps me motivated. :crying:

Hang in there and rest in the fact that your surgeon very likely knows what will work best for you personally and is recommending a strict diet to set you up for success!

I wanted to ask anyone.....Has ever had the Gastric Bypass?I know it has been around for 35 yrs.But how far has that surgery come? Can anyone tell me if it is worth it? Thanks:huh2:

I haven't had either yet but decided when I do to get the Lapband because it leaves everything intact. There is a section on here for other types of weight loss surgery and they have a Gastric Bypass area you may look/ask around in there. I have a family friend who recently had Gastric Bypass and she seems to be happy with it. When I went for my first seminar they discused all type of surgery even those not done anymore and the history of most. Good Luck with whatever you choose....:crying:

That is a long time. I am on pre-op now and only on high protein/low carb/low fat diet until my surgery on 10/14. Post-op is 48 hours of clear liquids then advance to mushies. ie watered down cream of wheat, grits, apple sauce, etc. Good luck and hang in there. It is tough but so worth it.

Hi, my doctor wanted 4 weeks on Optifast solid before the operation, and I actually chose to do 6 weeks without problems. At the operation I had a 2ml fill. After the operation I did clear for 3days, then liquid for a week, then mushies/liquid for another week (I have no problems with Optifast) then started a mixture of all three, liquid, mushies and solids for another two weeks, and am now on solids. Doing it slowly has meant no problems and I can easily eat most of everything I want. 6 weeks post op I had another 2ml fill, so now have 4 mls, I only had liquid the day before and after the fill, then mushies for 2 days, then back to solids... no problems there and the doctor was very pleased. I currently have no hunger pangs, and am only eating because it is required... Non calories fluids to lunch, then lunch and then dinner.. have no urge to snack and am now more than two weeks from 1st fill... so am very happy and glad I followed doctors advice in taking it slowly as I have not had any problems so far. Good Luck to you... One thing is for sure, if we can work with the band we will get there.... Trish

Thank you all so much for your support. I appreciate it. I just have one week from tomorrow to go before my first fill and I'm hoping to make it! And my doctor, Dr. Oh in Washington is rated to be one of the best, so I know he knows what he's doing, it just seems like a lot of weeks on liquids. Again thanks!:smile2:

All doctors are different. If you aren't happy with your doctor's philosophy, and he seems extreme, find a new doctor. One of the reasons I chose my surgeon was because his philosophy was closest to my own. I hear all kinds of crazy things I wouldn't agree with, so I'm very happy with my choice. If you're not happy. Look around.