Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded for 6 months-reflections

Six month of Reflections...

Life with the lap band

I was banded on March 25th, 2008. I have struggled with my weight for the last 15 years. I finally decided to have surgery to give myself a tool to help me become healthy. I have learned many lessons along my journey this far. Some of those lessons have been positive and negative. I should start with the positive.

The band has help me decrease my portions by 2/3. I eat as much as my 5 year old son!

I occassionaly have a diet coke and I rarely finish a whole can. I use to drink 3-4 cans a day.

Water and ice tea are my new drinks!

I am down 2 jean sizes..from a 22 to a 18

I was able to zip up a size 16 formal gown for gala ball I am going to...bought the 18 but did zip the 16!!

I have more energy to play with my kids

I am working on my golf game

I am gaining a little of my self confidence back.

Exercise is starting to become a habit.

I am going to do the work not the band.

I have lost 40lbs.

The other lessons-

-I have only lost 40 lbs

-did not meet my 50 lbs goal at 6 months

-could not reward myself with the new bike for 50 lbs

-my band does not stop me from snacking

-I can and continue to eat for now apparent reason

-I am not going to lose weight unless I exercise 7 days a week. My doctor had to look me in the eye and tell me this for it to really sink in.

-I must always pay attention to how fast I am eating especially when eating in a social setting.

-If your in a conversation while eating you can’t just swallow your food to get your word in the conversation...you must chew, chew then talk...I give my family the 1 more minute finger to let them know I have something I want to add but just need to chew.

-my mental game with my weight is at a all time high. I have not lost anything in the last 3 weeks despite working out hard and with consistency, yet I am continuing on.

-I knew going in to this that it wasn’t going to be easy but deep down I did think the weight was going to come off easier and quicker.

Overall thoughts-

I am glad I have the lap band. It is a tool that I must use. I can chose not to use the tool. It is my decision. I need to not put my sucess in the scale. I need to judge my sucess on the things I can control. I can control what I feed my body with and how often I feed it. I can control if I get up to exercise. I have to make the decision to exercise with minimal effort or really work hard. I have to make up mind DAILY that I am worth the time, money, energy it takes to make myself healthy.

Here’s to the next SIX months!!!

Hi Michelle!

What an inspirational post! I am nearing 6 months out, and I have lost 55lbs, my goal was 75lbs for 6 months out. I was beginning to get discouraged, but your post has just inspired me.

All of your thoughts made me think about my life. I am 39, and I have gone back to school. I have gone from a size 54 waist to a 48 waist. I am more active, but still need to exercise. I quit smoking! I used to drink 3 liters of Mountain Dew a night at work, and now I drink all Water. My diet used to consist mainly of chocolate, and now I only have it as a small treat very occasionally. Much has changed, and I need to see the positive side of things. I feel good, and I need to remember how I used to feel!

Thank you so much for your thoughts, they are an inspiration to me; and I'm sure will be to many others!

Jason

Thanks for the inspiration to keep working it One Day at a Time and be Thankful. I bought 60 lbs of rice and tried to lift it and carry it and could barely hold it long enough to take a picture. I also did this with 40 lbs of sugar when I was at that point and in both cases, it amazed me that I had been carrying that around 24 hours a day especially up and down steps with painful arthritis in my knees. Keep hanging in there. 55 lbs is wonderful progress. Hang in there one day at a time, you will achieve your dreams.

Michelle, you are doing so well! 55lbs is a wonderful loss. I seem to have a love/hate relationship with my band. I love the weight loss, but wish it were easier. I miss drinking with my meals....even just coffee or orange juice with Breakfast. I do not enjoy eating in a social setting. I try to avoid it if I can.

I love my shrinking body. My blood pressure is normal without medication. My sugar levels are normal. I am not a self conscious when in a social setting. No more foot pain. No more swollen ankles. My boobs stick out further than my tummy and I can see the faint hint of collar bones I have never seen in my life. I look younger. No more seat belt extenders on airplanes and I only take up one seat on the train.

So, I would not change my decision to have lap band surgery. It is the best thing I have ever done for myself, but it's not easy. It does not happen on it's own. It has changed my life.

Christine