Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HELP!!! newbie... Is it normal to GAIN weight after surgery???

Hmmm... ok, where to start. I had to do a 30 day liquid diet before surgery (most ppl only do 2 weeks but had a very precocious doctor.) And in that 30 days i lost a wopping 37.2 lbs. Sounds amazing i know but i really did do my only all liquid diet and i walked 30 min. 6 days a week. 15 days after surgery (sep. 15) i had my post op appt. and i find out i gained 2 lbs back and im still walking 6 days a week but ive now progressed to food but im still keeping that under 1000 cals a day. Now my doc says thats normal cuz i went 30 days no food then suddenly im eating again and my body is recooperating from surgery. Its now sep. 24 but i havent weighed since my post op appt so i dont know how ive done laitley. I'm just scared... is this normal??? Will it all be different when i get my fill scheduled on oct. 8??? Im just sooo scared :confused:!!!

I was banded Aug 5th and going for my first fill Oct 3rd. I lost 17 lbs and I know I gain at least 2 lbs back. I am eating normal now. I think since I stopped the liquids and the mushie and all together blending my food and eating normal is why I gained, and I am sure that is why you gain to. Good job on the walking. I get to the gym like once or twice a week and I have to get myself moving more.

It may be possible that with all the walking you did, you've gained some muscle. Don't give up, because it will eventually happen. Don't weigh yourself every day... it's a bad idea.:confused:

Yes, it is normal to gain a bit or not to lose weight during this time. It is a time for healing and transitioning. Don't worry, you're fine!

I was told that it is because with the liquid diet, your entire intestinal tract gets cleaned out. However, when we are on solid foods it is perfectly normal for our intestines to maintain a certain amount of solid matter at any given time. It's not normal to be totally empty, so when solids are reintroduced, a couple pounds usually come back on. That doesn't mean you are eating too many calories or that you actually gained weight.