Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone up for training for a 5K?

This past weekend I discovered Podrunner Intervals on itunes. It's a series of podcasts that contians non-stop music to run to. There is a nine week program to train to run a 5K. It starts by walking for 90 seconds and then running for 60 seconds. Each week the amount of run time increases and the amount of walking decreases until you can run a 5k. The music changes as you workout. It gets faster when you are running and slows down during the walks.

I started week one yesterday. It was great! The music kept me moving. I'm planning on completing the nine week 5k program. It may take me longer then 9 weeks. I'm going to take it easy to make sure I don't injure myself.

Anyone care to join me? I'm not looking for a competition. I just thought we could encourage each other as we move through each training week.

Check out his website or go to itunes and look up podrunner. DJ Steve Boyett - Mixes

dwrd, are the music intervals timed so you can tell when to run / walk? I think I'd like to try the program, but it seems like it would be kind of a hassle to be constantly checking a stopwatch...

The music intervals are timed. The dj plays a unique sound to let you know it's time to make the transition from walking to running and back to walking. One of the main reasons I like it is the fact I do not have to keep looking at a stopwatch. I just turn on my ipod and hit play. The music takes me through the workout.

I have just completed week 1 of the podrunner series. Plan is to run a 5k in the new year.

Great series.

Let's see, My last 5K was about 14 years ago. I once did mini Triathalons too, around the same time. I abandoned all that once the knees started to go. I had ignored the old edict that fat men shouldn't run. I now do a lot of elliptical work and walking. Thinking of swimming again also. And, of course, lifting.

All I'm saying is be careful of the joints. Running is a great exercise but it's tough on us big guys. If you're going to do it get top quality shoes. And listen to your body!

Let's see, My last 5K was about 14 years ago. I once did mini Triathalons too, around the same time. I abandoned all that once the knees started to go. I had ignored the old edict that fat men shouldn't run. I now do a lot of elliptical work and walking. Thinking of swimming again also. And, of course, lifting.

All I'm saying is be careful of the joints. Running is a great exercise but it's tough on us big guys. If you're going to do it get top quality shoes. And listen to your body!

Right now it is all on an eliptical. with lots of fish oil and anti-inflamitories.

todays AM-

eliptical - level 1 week 1 - 2.56 miles - max HR 164 - 438 cal

2big4u, i know we are not suppose to take ibuprofen anymore, what anti inflamitories do you use? I was never sure why we could not just crush the ibuprofen.

2big4u, i know we are not suppose to take ibuprofen anymore, what anti inflamitories do you use? I was never sure why we could not just crush the ibuprofen.

I am not a doctor, but I watch How I met your Mother and Dougie Howser sells deodorant now.... sooo .

I take 200ml liquid advil with my morning Water. My thinking is that the gel passes quickly through my pouch and into my "low stomach" for absorbing. The liquid disolves as soon as the gel melts so it does not sit and erode the band.

I don't take more than 200ml a day and not more than 4x a week. I do not have any fill yet. I will re-examine the advil when I have some restriction.

Friday AM Eliptical

1.75 miles - 30 minutes - 165 BPM

Edited by 2big4U

2Big4U - Congrats on completing week #1. I'm still on week #3. I was going to do my third training run today but my knee feels a little sore. It's really only a minor soreness but I do not want to add any extra pressure on it. The last thing I want to do is injure myself. Tomorrow I think I'll run but on the eliptical. It's less pressure on the knees.

2Big4U - Congrats on completing week #1. I'm still on week #3. I was going to do my third training run today but my knee feels a little sore. It's really only a minor soreness but I do not want to add any extra pressure on it. The last thing I want to do is injure myself. Tomorrow I think I'll run but on the eliptical. It's less pressure on the knees.

I have done 90% of my "running" on the elpitical. 325 is alot of presure on the joints. A hell of alot better than 380 but still more than i need be in order to "run" on daily. Congrats on week 3. Have you been able to hit the BPM reccomendations consistanly? I find that I am not able to get the RPM on my machine above 65-70 for any kind of sustained time. I need to keep the level tension up in order to maintain form, then I end up not being able to push the pedals fast enough to get my HR to the maintained rate for the entire interval.

Anyone have advice for this? I have tried a lower level and I end all "herky-jerky" with my legs. Any higher of a level and my knees are burning at around the 20 minute mark from the stress of pushing.

Dan

Saturday Oct 11

elptical - podrunner week 2 - 1.87 miles - 168 max BPM - 475 cal

Dropped a resistance level and started the second week. It layed me out.

I'm not an exercise porfessional, but personal opinion is that you keep moving. I wouldn't worry if you are making the right bpm. As long as you are moving faster during the higher bpm and slower during the lower bpm you are doing well.

Years ago I would worry about how fast I was going and how far. I would even get upset if I stopped a run and had to walk. But now I all I care about is movement. I have to remind myself that the simple fact I am off the couch and moving again is the most important thing. I like the intervals b/c no matter how fast or slow I was moving I generally go a little faster and farther the next time. I hope this all makes sense as you read it.

Yesterday my knee felt better so I ran on the treadmil instead of the eliptical. I did well and felt great, but now today my knee is sore again. I'm not sure what to do at this point. I want to run so I am going to have to take it easy or something b/c I do not want to stop due to an injury.

When I reread my posts I kind of got the impression that I was really troubled by the BPM, but I am not OVERLY concerned about it. I am just happy to be able to do something every day and not need 2 days of recovery afterwards. My speed is definitely improving which will have carry over into my others sports and keeping up with the kids. I even contimplaited a game of shinny hockey the other night. (glad that poker night won out). I will stick to the elptical for the foreseeable future as it is gentler on my joints.