Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will a low-carb diet be right for me?

Guest BikiniBeachy

Guest BikiniBeachy

I know that low-carb diets sometimes cause controversy. I am pretty sure that is the kind of diet I will be taking on after surgery. High Protein (lean meats, Beans and skim dairy) and low carb. I know there is an entire thread on here for low carb bandsters, so I thought I'd post and get both opinions.

Can anyone tell me the pros and cons, why they would or wouldn't take on this diet? Thanks for your kind responses, I am just trying to get an organized and as informed as I possible can before surgery!

Personally I plan to do the same thing. I feel better when I cut out the carbs that come from refined flour and sugar etc. Don't get me wrong...I LOVE that food. Chips...white bread...buttercream frosting...fried chicken...YUM BUT to be honest when I was doing my preop diet (that was very low fat low carb high protein) I had higher energy and felt like a million bucks. Not everyone feels this way though. And that extra Protein can tax your kidneys and liver.

Our doc recommends that we (once restricted) eat Protein first, then veggies, then fruit. So that's what I plan to do.

AND...guess what? Atkins type diets aren't as unhealthy as people first thought. South Beach is just an evolved Atkins type diet.

I think you should eat whichever way makes you have the most energy. Your body needs protein, fat, and carbs to function; just not as much as we have been getting. You will find a mix that works for you.

If carb cravings are an issue in your diet then I would say yes, low carbing would be good.

I am sort of doing low carb. I allow myself carbs from natural sources like fruit, veggies, milk etc. But I have cut out the sugary, starchy and the highly processed ones like Pasta, potato, rice, sugar, white flour etc.

I didn't follow the Atkins or South Beach stages or phases; I had to do the Liquid Protein for my pre-op diet and that is when I got this stuff out of my system. Because I am a carb addict, it was hard to adjust during this period (for about a week) After the surgery, I was still on liquid but allowed carbs and I chose not to reintroduce the bad carbs into my diet.

I don't count carb grams but I avoid, as much as possible, packaged foods and go for fresh meat and fresh or frozen veggies and fruits and add as little as possble to them. I have whole grain wrap bread on occasion but not daily. (preband I ate bread with just about every meal) and for Cereal I have oatmeal.

I honestly think that for me, it helped to keep the food cravings and head hunger at bay.

Edited by Jodi_620

Low carb is what's suggested by most surgeons. We are to eat solid Protein and veggies. If we need more, than fruit is what to go for, which is a healthy natural carb. I haven't beed very successful at avoiding carbs and my weight loss reflects that.

BB,

I think there is a problem with phrases like "low carb". It means one thing in the Atkins plan and something different to South Beachers. These plans are not based on the limited volumes that are characteristic of a banded eating plan. I follow the rule of eating Protein first and then vegetables. I am trying to structure a healthy diet including whole grains, vegetables and fruits along with my low fat Protein, mostly chicken, fish and Beans. The control I get over my hunger from my band has allowed me to do this.

I had a consultation with a band savy dietician before I was banded and she created an eating plan outline for me prior to my surgery. This was very helpful and I still follow it. After you gather info her if you are still not sure I would recommend this highly.

Good luck with the journey

I know that low-carb diets sometimes cause controversy. I am pretty sure that is the kind of diet I will be taking on after surgery. High Protein (lean meats, Beans and skim dairy) and low carb. I know there is an entire thread on here for low carb bandsters, so I thought I'd post and get both opinions.

Can anyone tell me the pros and cons, why they would or wouldn't take on this diet? Thanks for your kind responses, I am just trying to get an organized and as informed as I possible can before surgery!

My doc told me the post op diet needs to be protien, veggies, then fruit. I dont plan on eating anything white flour as much as possible such as bread, Pasta, rice, sugary carbs, however i do have like cream of wheat for Breakfast which has some carbs, but not bad carbs. That is my goal, not to cut them out entirely but ensuring im eating food that has good protien and nurtrients. The protien shakes I have do have lowcarb and low sugar content, I want to stray away from that as much as possible. splenda is my friend lol. Im not saying I wont ever have bread Pasta or rice again, but sparingly, as before that is probably most of what i ate.