Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleep Study - What should I take?

Froggi - Don't stress out too much over it. Look at it this way - if you do have sleep apnea you will be able to get a CPAP machine and you will feel 1000 times better. I didn't know just how tired I was until I got my CPAP. You might get lucky and only have to do one night - it depends on the lab and the situation. My apnea was severe enough that they woke me up in the middle of the night to put the mask on and then did the titration for the second half of the night. I think they call it a split study.

The goop in the hair is a problem - you will definitely want to wash it out in the morning. If you are having other tests done in the hospital that morning you could probably wait until you get home. Try bringing a headband or something that could partially cover it up.

I think I got my result the following week - I know I had my CPAP 10 days after the sleep study.

Good Luck!

Oh - bring your own pillow for sure - it will help you get to sleep.

Also, check out www.cpaptalk.com if you want more info on sleep studies.

Froggi,

I got my results the same week I had surgery, it may have been a couple days prior to surgery and the only reason was that they needed to know if I'd need the machine in the hospital in recovery. They will give you oxygen also. I don't think at this point you need it to get approval for surgery, as far as I know, so I don't think you should be overly concerned but you can always call and bug them if they don't have the info sent to the people that need it. Good luck Nancy.

Froggi,

this is a no brainer. Do the sleep Study. :redface: i just had a 2nd one, due to problems with bronchitis. Time for the results are 10-14 days here. But your surgeon may postpone the surgery without it. There must be a reason why they want another study. :frown: Do it!!

if you live a distance away, bring your pillow / wedge, current machine with you. i brought my foam wedge and it was better than the pillows. Definitely Shampoo.

Sue in NE

I dunno if I have to do a second one or not...I am doing my first september 11th I am just thinking the worst that it will run off into my preop next month and postpone surgery. :redface:

Froggi - Don't stress out too much over it. Look at it this way - if you do have sleep apnea you will be able to get a CPAP machine and you will feel 1000 times better. I didn't know just how tired I was until I got my CPAP. You might get lucky and only have to do one night - it depends on the lab and the situation. My apnea was severe enough that they woke me up in the middle of the night to put the mask on and then did the titration for the second half of the night. I think they call it a split study.

The goop in the hair is a problem - you will definitely want to wash it out in the morning. If you are having other tests done in the hospital that morning you could probably wait until you get home. Try bringing a headband or something that could partially cover it up.

I think I got my result the following week - I know I had my CPAP 10 days after the sleep study.

Good Luck!

Oh - bring your own pillow for sure - it will help you get to sleep.

Also, check out www.cpaptalk.com if you want more info on sleep studies.

I agree with you about this. I stressed so much about my second one being so long after the first (4 weeks) and how much more time would I have to take afterwards. Well this past Saturday I finally had the second one for the CPAP machine (god I hope nothing went wrong) and I have to wait for the sleep doctor to review the results then hopefully she will order the machine. Then I have to use it for two weeks and do a phone survey if everything goes okay then the sleep doctor will send the surgeon clearance. It's only then will the surgeon's office submit my paperwork to the insurance and give me a surgery date. So while I am worried (cannot help it) there's not much more I can do but wait. I cannnot believe how happy my doctors have been to hear that I have sleep apnea because they told me that it helps a great deal in getting insurance approval.

I still have the crap glue stuff in my hair and I have been washing and combing while washing it. I have very thick hair so if anyone has any tricks that will help me get the rest of it out I would really appreciate it.

Froggi, just do it. It is painless And a big help.

The purpose is to test how much oxygen you obtain while asleep. it you Oxygen in your blood is too low, you will need a CPAP. If you lose weight, teh CPAP settings can be reduced or eliminated. This is very Important to do the test- you will be under anesthesia with the surgery. You and the doctor need to know how much help you will need help breathing while unconscious. Do NOT hesitate. :redface:

Sue in NE

I know I have to do it and I am not planning on not doing it. I am just worried that the results and such and if I have it I will have to do more studies that run into my preop and surgery. I truly don't think I have it though. We will see.

So tomorrow I am going to pack my overnight bag...once last time to give me ideas of what to take with me? :thumbup: My study is thursday evening through friday morning.

So tomorrow I am going to pack my overnight bag...once last time to give me ideas of what to take with me? :thumbup: My study is thursday evening through friday morning.

So tomorrow I am going to pack my overnight bag...once last time to give me ideas of what to take with me? :omg_smile: My study is thursday evening through friday morning.

Change of clothes of course, pajamas, slippers, insurance cards, check for copay (only if required mine did not require it some do) they request you bring it there with you, mine wanted identification, tooth brush, tooth paste, and a good book is all that I brought. Leave valuables at home. Also, bring medications that you need to take before sleeping if any.

They had me come in and change into my pajamas, filled out some more paperwork they took my insurance card to copy it and then from there they took me into the hook up area which took about 45 minutes. They had a television so I just watched that I lost interest in reading.

I took my pjs, change of clothes, makeup, Shampoo and conditioner, soap, pillows, granola bar, brush, hair beautification stuff, took a movie but didnt use it, cellphone. no jewelry and NO watch. they didnt want me to know the time. Id, ins card. Ithink thats it.

Thanks all for the information...I appreciate it.

Just the two piece pajamas. The one I had done, they let me watch tv for about an hour. Then the tv cut off. So they say I was already asleep. Relax. It is not a bad test.

I had a sleep study several years ago and I do use a c-pap machine, so I did not have to take another one for the surgery. I am in hopes that when I start losing I can get rid of the machine. (if that ever happens).

I only took pj's and toothpaste and toothbrush, hair brush. No shower taken there only when I got home.:rolleyes2: It's not to bad, watch tv until lights out time.