Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

pre-surgery appetite has returned

I had the surgery over a month ago. Unfortunately, there's no fill in the band with no appointment until Sept. 25 (their office is busy). I have absolutely no restriction at this point. I can't tell that I've had surgery and find myself forgetting all the time. I have just the scars on my belly to remind me, because I'm now at the point where I can eat the same amounts of food I did before. My food choices are beginning to get worse and I feel out of control.

Can anyone offer me any advice? Please tell me this is normal.

What are you eating? Maybe more importantly, what are you drinking? Do you drink before the meal? This is very difficult for alot of people, me included, to learn. It is very very important that you drink plenty before the meal and then abstain from drinking during and after the meal for at least an hour.

The first month or so is for healing. You will notice a small difference with your first fill. Be patient and make good choices!!!

Are you exercising? That will also help in that you will be burning more calories. Hang in there!!!!

Well, my doctor said don't drink 30 minutes before or after a meal. I do drink a decent amount of Water throughout the day (not sure if I make the 8 cups a day standard or not, but I sip it constantly). I was doing everything right, but I feel like I slipped & now I'm breaking every rule. I drink with meals, I ate pizza for dinner, had ice cream today, etc. I know how to eat right, but suddenly it became hard to make myself make those choices, and I feel scared like I'm never going to be in control of my eating again. I'm not sure how to get control. I'm going to document all my food choices tomorrow and hope that keeps me on track. I feel like the littlest things throw me off...

Hi There

This is my first post so far, as i am quite new to the site.

I just wanted to say i feel exactly the same way.

I was banded on 7/25/08, and i feel like i can eat way too much.

I really hope i feel different after my first fill on the 15th of this month.

On liquids i was not hungry at all, i was so excited, but lately i wake up starving!

I also need to remind myself of portion sizes, I make a meal for my boyfriend and out of habbit give myself nearly as much, and he eats allot.

I have also been eating some bad things like chocolate.

I wish you good luck on your journey :)

i know it has been hard for me so far

Get back up on the horse. I know its difficult to do so when you feel like your old self and your eating habits. I had my surgery on July 24 and didn't get my first fill until Sept. 3. My surgeon told me to eat until I was full. Sometimes that was alot of food. Like 8 1/2 ozs of porkchop or steak, or dare I say, a whole red baron pizza. To my defense, it was a thin crust(scared to eat bread, at least more than just a few bits). I write down everything I put in my mouth. I ate the healthiest that I could as far as avoiding Cookies, ice cream and junk.(with the exception of a couple of Werthers candies a day) I dont' drink with my meals and drink about an hour to an hour and a half afterwards. I lost 9 pounds after my surgery, but lost my restriciton 11 days after my surgery. But now after my first fill, I can tell a major difference.:) Try and get back on track, it will help for when you get your fill. If anything the fill will make you be more careful. But it's all about new habits, and how much you want this. Hope this helps, didn't mean to ramble on. Susan:cool2:

Bandster Hell is a bad place. Being newly banded your stomach is still somewhat swollen. The swelling goes down and your appetite comes back with a vengence. You start to lose weight and the fat that is surrounding your stomach starts to go away and you need a fill. Your appetite again returns. Remember that when you eat to eat slowly and take small bites. Wait between bites for a few minutes to see if you are no longer hungry. The goal is to not be hungry. We are trained to eat until we are full. We need to re-train ourselves to eat until we are no longer hungry. The nothing to drink before and 1 hour after is a good rule because the food will stay in your stomach longer, keeping you satisfied. Do not drink while eating because the liquid washes the food through and you will not lose weight or will gain weight. Remember to eat lots of Protein. At meals eat your protein first then your veggies and carbs if there is any room left. I have found that eating slowly is hard to do, but don't give up! It takes time to re-learn good habits after years of bad habits. Good luck!

hi there :biggrin: have just read this thread and i'm in exactly the same position as in i've not had my 1st fill yet and won't be till the end of sept !! my head IS back in foodland but i can't eat quite as much as before thank God !! i'm nearly at week 6 post op and i haven't lost anything for about 2 weeks -i know that is better than putting it ON but i keep worrying that i'll put it all back on before my fill :cool2: maybe we should just think that once the band IS filled right it will eventually come off slowly but surely -and we just need to be patient :lol:

Wow I am having the same problem. I can eat anything. My problem is with the drinking while and after eating. I am having such a hard time with this. I was banded on July 31st. My fill apt is next week i hope that helps get me on track. Its nice to no that there are others that feel the same as i do.

Wow I am having the same problem. I can eat anything. My problem is with the drinking while and after eating. I am having such a hard time with this. I was banded on July 31st. My fill apt is next week i hope that helps get me on track. Its nice to no that there are others that feel the same as i do.

Count me in....I'm there as well. I go back to see my surgeon on Oct 1st, so I've got a good almost 3 weeks to go to struggle to lose weight, let alone keeping off my weight loss so far. I'm going back to my morning Protein Shakes made with Water only, chicken for lunch, and then trying to keep it light for dinner. And trying to step up the treadmill, but it's hard. I almost wish I felt like I did 2 weeks postop again!

OMG, I am also feeling this way! I was banded five weeks ago and can eat anything!!! I stopped losing weight two weeks ago and am freaking out. At least I haven't been gaining, but I feel that same out-of-control feeling that I did before surgery. Thank goodness I am not the only one. My fill is in two weeks, so I'm trying to hang in there until then.

The same thing is happening 2 me i just got the band 08/11/2008 i'am down 20lbs but i feel that i can eat anything, ah a matter fact I'am. I do not get filled till 9/25/2008. Some please help lol

I may be in the minority here but until we're filled, the band isn't really doing what we expect it to. And think of what we "can" eat on mushies, for example? I believe this is a time to let the band heal. I get my 1st fill at 6 weeks out...and it may take several attempts to give me the satiety we signed on for. I'm watching it....but not obsessing. It is a slow process, it is not gastric by pass. I'll lose when my body is ready and the band has healed.

I may be in the minority here but until we're filled, the band isn't really doing what we expect it to. And think of what we "can" eat on mushies, for example? I believe this is a time to let the band heal. I get my 1st fill at 6 weeks out...and it may take several attempts to give me the satiety we signed on for. I'm watching it....but not obsessing. It is a slow process, it is not gastric by pass. I'll lose when my body is ready and the band has healed.

this is a very good point :smile:i'm sure that alot of us are very good [and used to ] at beating ourselves up about our weight !!:rolleyes:now is the time to let ourselves heal and have a bit of faith in the future :unsure: