Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

LONG: A GOOD Experience!

I thought that I'd pop in from over on the August boards and say 'Hi'! I've seen a few of you folks checking out what's going on with those of us just ahead of you. I have learned sooooooo much from reading these boards. I've learned what to expect, learned what questions to ask, and learned what to have on hand. I learned different Protein solutions, who are the most supportive folks, and what to wear post-op. All-in-all, the info has been invaluable! I know that alot of the posts have, and will be, frustrations about gas and pain and such, but I wanted to post my experience here so that you'll know that there are some who have easier experiences. I've been very, very active on the boards here, so I had heard everything. I'm a pretty matter-of-fact gal, so my experience is probably pretty related to that. I'm not knockin' anyone else, I promise!

I had surgery on this past Thursday, the 28th. I had to stay overnight because I have sleep apnea and they monitor all apnea patients overnight after they have general anesthesia. My starting BMI was 49.8 and my insurance would only cover a bypass if my BMI wasn't under 50, so I lost 10 lbs before my initial consult that so that there would be no question. For most of us who are so large, we can lose 10 pounds easily...it's just that it usually finds us later, and brings friends! I had all of the regular pre-op tests: EKG, Chest X-ray, Labs, Psych, Nutrition.

My dr. did not prescribe me a pre-op diet, but I was terrified that I would end up with an "open" surgery so I self-imposed a cutback on myself. I did a regular dinner and liquids only during the day starting 10 days before my sx. I'm glad that I did. It really helped me to transition mentally. I did eat regular dinners, not diet dinners. I saw the dr 5 days after I started that and found out that the only pre-op diet he actually prescribes is 48 hours of full (not just clear) liquids prior to sx. ALL drs are different, so follow what YOURS says. I figure that the drs orders are the right ones, and that if you want to be more restrictive (remember, I was scared of an open procedure) then there's nothing wrong with that. I lost almost 6 pounds just going to the daytime liquids.

Anyhow, I had to take my blood pressure meds only on the morning of the sx. I went into the OR at 8:10 a.m. and woke up in recovery at 9:40 a.m. No nausea, thank God! They kept me drinking Water and gave me ice chips. I never had to limit myself to sips, as I was able to take a drink (not a gulp) from the beginning. This seems to be very individualized. Unfortunately, I had to hang out there for about 3 hours because they didn't have a room on the ward for me yet. No biggie, I'm a lurker so I enjoyed the people watching and hearing.

I got up to my room and leaned/tottered/fell, more or less, onto the bed. It's just not graceful the first few times you try to get in and out of bed :tt1:. I got the tv set, the pillows moved, and once I was all situated I was really ready for some sleep. I've heard that folks cannot sleep on their side for a week or so. I did. I'm a side sleeper. It wasn't fun, but I was able to force myself to roll on my side and get situated so that I could sleep. After a time or two, I was able to roll over without whining or cussing! :smile: I gotta tell you, I think that this rolling back and forth was the reason that I didn't have ANY stuck gas. OK, that and the fact that I told my surgeon to squeeze me like a Ziploc before he closed me! :wink2:

Thank heaven for bars in the bathrooms. Other than the darned IV pole, getting through the potty wasn't horrible. I didn't get online until around 5 p.m. but that's mostly because I couldn't figure out how to get across the room to unload my laptop. Turns out the IV pump can be unplugged and run on batteries, so I could cross the room! Once the nurse told me this, she made me walk a lap on the ward floor before she let me play!

I seemed to do a 2 hour nap and a 2 hour tv-walk-jello routine for the rest of my stay. Take the pain meds. From family and personal experience I can tell you that it is SILLY, no wait...STUPID, to refuse pain meds as ordered. It is much, much, much, much easier to keep the pain away in the first place than it ever will be to try to get rid of it once you let it get started!!!!!!!!! Yes, I felt great. Yes, I'm still taking my meds. Dr gave me 7 days worth, I'll probably take 4 or 5. No heroes needed, really.

Along the lines of pain management, here's a few tips that worked for me.

1. You had surgery, it's gonna hurt. How badly or how long is pretty much up to you. The more you lie still and don't move around, the worse it will be. If you try to go without the meds, it's your own fault.

2. It's ok to whine, whimper, or downright cuss. Just move. When you stand up to walk, you are going to want to stay hunched over. Don't. Slowly make yourself stand up straight, then breathe deeply. It will "open" up your frontside and will truly help you move better. It's not easy, but do it anyway. It was easier for me to sleep with the head of the bed tilted up, but it was better for me to sleep with it flat because it kept my frontside unhunched. As we all know, easier doesn't always mean better for...and we're not known for choosing the one that is better for us, you know?

I repeat, I feel great. It's still not so fun getting up or down from my chair, and in or out of my bed. It's still not so fun sitting down to potty at home because I don't have any of those "trendy" bars. Those things are not-so-fun, but they aren't what I would call "bad". Remember, it's surgery and it's gonna hurt. It hasn't stopped me from folding laundry (hubby has to get it out for me though 'cause I can't bend over low enough to reach to the back of the dryer.) It hasn't stopped me from ironing clothes, cleaning the fishtank, and spraying water on the garden.

I'm thrilled to finally be on my way...and let me tell you, the not-so-fun part is not going to hold me back now. Let this be a warning to everyone across the land: She's back, and she's gonna be a hottie!

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. I am so glad that all is going well for you. I truly believe that moving right after surgery does help speed up recovery. I am going in for surgery 1 week from your date so its only five days away. I plan on be up and running in no time. Looking forward to be in the flip side of surgery.

I hope you continue to recover so quickly. Your positive attitude can only help you.

Hugs

Paula

Thanks for all your imput. I think the fear of the great unknown is the worse. None of us know exactly what is going to happen and we depend on your word of mouth experiences.

I am on the 19th and I know there are a lot who will be before me. I look forward to everyone's input. Debbie

So Glad to hear such positive thing...You go girl!....Mine is coming Sept. 15 and you really made me feel good. I loved the ziploc bag part....am going to copy it w/ my Dr. Hope everything continues tp go so smooth with you!...Congratulations!!!!!!

Joy