Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Last Minutes Questions

Good Morning,

I am in the final steps for my surgery.

I met with the doctor and went over all my questions but upon returning home I found I have a few more after reading the material he sent home with me.

calcium citrate with Vitamin D- do you have any recommendations? Can I assume I need chewables?

Protein shakes- Body Fortress from Walmart was recommended. However, do you drink Slim Fast drinks instead?

juice Plus- this was recommended to make sure I get all fruits and vegetables in. Are you familiar with it or do you take it?

Multi-Vitamin- is this suppose to be chewable?

TIA

Sandra

Good Morning,

I am in the final steps for my surgery.

I met with the doctor and went over all my questions but upon returning home I found I have a few more after reading the material he sent home with me.

calcium citrate with Vitamin D- do you have any recommendations? Can I assume I need chewables?

Protein shakes- Body Fortress from Walmart was recommended. However, do you drink Slim Fast drinks instead?

juice Plus- this was recommended to make sure I get all fruits and vegetables in. Are you familiar with it or do you take it?

Multi-Vitamin- is this suppose to be chewable?

TIA

Sandra

Caltrate Pluse D Chewables are great (taste good too!)

I was told no Slim Fast (too much sugar) I didn't like the Body Fortress powders. Just started using Worldwide Pure Protein with 35 G of protein and they are really good.

No juice plus, I just took plenty of multi-Vitamins.

Yes, they should be chewable. I use Flintstones Vitamins (2 a day), and dispite what many believe they are not just for kids.

i get the Celebrate vitiams and calc they are chewables and taste pretty good, and not too expensive, they have some just for bands as well... only down side is you have to order them off the internet, but it's what my nutrictionist recomended

I take chewable vitamins and use Body Fortress Protein Powder from Wal-Mart. I add dry sf pudding mix to the Protein powder and Water for a shake. It tastes much better and does not add many calories or carbs. I have used Slim-Fast low-carb drinks to have around in a pinch. They have about 20 grams of protein per can where with my shakes I was using 2 scoops of powder for 52 grams so the BF shakes kept me full longer.

Hi! Good luck on your journey :cursing: This is a great place for advice:)

I take chewable vitamins. I take chewable Calcium and Multivitamins. I buy mine at the wellness center where my nutritionist is located.

I used slim fast during my preop diet, but make sure it is the slim fast LOW CARB DIET!!! , otherwise, it is loaded in sugar and carbs.

Now, i use the Body Fortress chocolate powder and i mix it in the blender with "Hood", low fat, low cal, low carb chocolate milk. It is yummy, and low carb and low calorie. Makes a great chocolate Protein Shake. I love this chocolate milk and it is not bad for you.

Hope this helps :huh2:

Keep us updated

Take care,

Julie

Good luck & good job on finishing your research!

Yes, most definitely plan for all your Vitamins to be chewable. Everyone has their preference, I prefer 2x flinstone (with Iron) a day.

Not sure about the Vitamin D thing, so eh.. but I take 2x X-tra Strength Tums a day for Calcium. I drink milk too.

I did Slim Fast when I was on liquids, as I have yet to find any other brand of diety drinks that tasted ok to me.

Not familiar with juice plus, and I don't take it.. not to say you shouldn't, your doc knows best! But I have no input on that.

I too, prefer Worldwide Protein shakes. Atkins was on my list from the dietician for a ready to drink, but it only has about 9 or 15g Protein (I forget how much), and it is full of Vitamins, which is fine, but we are taking Vitamin supplements, so why drink more? Taste-wise WW shakes are better than Atkins. They are available at Trader Joe's (cheapest--$2.29 each for 35s and they have 21g version for $1.69), The Vitamin Shoppe (next cheapest--$2.79 but I bought a 12 pack for $27.99 which is about $2.33 each), and GNC (most expensive--$2.99 each). All three carry vanilla Cream and chocolate. The Vitamin Shoppe carries all the flavors (strawberry Cream, Cookies n' Cream, and banana Cream). I don't care for banana flavored stuff, but the Cookies n' Cream tastes like liquid Oreos, and the strawberry is pretty good too. Calories 160-170, maybe 1g fat/0.5 sat fat, and 1g sugar, no added Vitamins. It is a milk-based protein (in case you are lactose intolerant). I don't work for them (honest) but I have been drinking them since before surgery, and I still drink one just about every day.

As for vitamins, Bariatricadvantage.com sells chewables and liquids just for surgery patients. I use Centrum Silver chewables (even though our dietician pooh-poohs them) and Twin Labs calcium citrate with Magnesium and D (after I started using I found it on the list of approved supplements for Brigham Womens Hospital Bariatric Program--someone here had a link and I clicked on it). Best price is online at vitacost.com, about $7.67 a bottle for 60 wafers (15 day supply). In stores it is anywhere from $13 to $18 for the same thing. There is a $4.99 s/h charge, for any size order, so I order 5 bottles on an auto ship plan for every 60 days. I am experimenting with the MVI, and right now can get down sizeable capsules so I take one with supplements for the eyes since mine are crap after 3 eye surgeries. If you have a lot of restriction chewables or liquids are better.

Patchelton is the one who turned me on to the Worldwide shakes just a couple of days ago. I bought a single serve can of vanilla, chocolate and strawberry and banana cream (they didn't have Cookies and cream in single serve at my Vitamin Shoppe :cursing:). So far I have tried vanilla (quite good) and chocolate (not bad). I agree they are a great choice based on high Protein, low sugar and taste. They just go down much easier for me than some of those other pre-mixed products.