Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is this how its gong to be??? HELP!

Hello all,

I am soooo discouraged. I know that I have to make the right decicions when eating but it seems like my band is never going to work! I had my second fill last week and I still have no restriction! The only thing I can feel is if i swallow a little too much at one time. But - If i chew my food up well, then I can just eat and eat. Now, I dont think that I am overeating on a regular basis, but I am definately eating a full service size which is way more than what I should be eating post-op. I can eat everything, bread, beef, and all of the thinkgs I thought I wasnt able to eat ever again. I am getting frusterated because I got banded on June 9th and I am still at the same 20-25lbs I lost back then.

when I was at my appointment (that I moved up because of no restriction) I asked if it was possible that my band slipped or anything like that, and he said if it slipped, then I would know it because of the symptoms.

Now maybe I am just being impatient and I hope so, because I would hate to think that I went through all of this for nothing. Contrary to what you all have read, I am still just as happy and excited about the band as I was in the begining, I guess I im in just a rough patch.< /p>

Any advice? PLEASE HELP!

Hang in there. It's not at all uncommon for it to take 4 or 5 fills (or even more!) to get proper restriction. But it will happen.

Don't throw in the towel. Just follow the rules about not drinking and pay attention to Proteins first, then veggies, then very little of anything else.

The bigger question is not how much you eat at a meal, but how much you are hungry and grazing between meals....?

If you are eating a "full" meal (and it's healthy food! not junk!) and not snacking between meals and at bedtime, you're still going to lose because it's less than what you were eating before.

Thats one thing I can say...I dont really snack between meals, but I will eat 3 full meals (maybe 4 on a Saturday)and a good amout of it...but it does last until the next meal. I just know I should not be eating that much, not bad for the average person but way too much for the bandster.

Hi, You usually dont fill any restriction with the second fill. you just have to stick to the program. Eat meat, fish, chicken, seafood, cheese, eggs and veggies. Stay away from bread, potatoes, rice, Pasta and fruit. All are high in carbs. Always go for sugar free and and if you eat anything besides Protein and veggies count the carbs. You are guaranteed to lose if you eat less than 30 carbs a day. veggies dont count toward carbs, except carrots, potatoes and corn. Practice Portion Control and no snacking and find other things to do to occupy your time. And try not to think about food. The more you stress over what you are going to eat, the more you will make yourself hungry. Good luck on your journey

Hang in there! You are in banster hell right now. I just got my 4th fill on Wednesday and I finally got restriction! It takes awhile. I had my surgery in April! Up until Wed. I was eating everything I used to...well almost. I am so happy to be a real banster now. I'm really motivated and will return to the gym this week. I was so discouraged before now I stopped really trying. You gotta be patient. How often are you able to get fills? How aggressive is you doc with fills?

Try putting only 1 cup portions on a dessert plate or bowl. When it's gone, you are done.

I am sure you have heard it all....but you will get it...I am out 10 months now and I was the same...actually I still am the same. I lost 20lbs before and the 2 weeks right after surgery I lost 15 and I had no restriction up until my last fill. I have a 4cc band and I got 4 fills and have 2.25 in my band. I got them every 6 weeks. BUT as far as weight lose, I have only lost 7 pounds in 7 months. Talk about discouraged!!!!

I am thinking about asking for another fill in a few weeks. Well see. But listen.....its SLOW....you have to remember that!!! We will not be at our "peak" for a total of 3 years!!!! And you will always have your band its never going away....so you can get a fill when ever you want to!!!!!

So good luck and be patient!!!! Its will come!!!!

I'm right there with you. I was banded around the same time as you (June 11th) and I just had my second fill. It's a little better than the first fill, which made me hungrier. But I'm still surprised at how much I can eat, and the fact that anything and everything goes down no problem. But from what others say above, you and I can look forward to future fills that will actually work.

I had my band 1/24/08 and have never written in here before because I was so frustrated at the minimal wt. loss and lack of feeling restricted. Well, finally, after 4 fills, I am on the road!!! It feels great and was worth the wait. Hang in there! Once they get your band to the correct fill for you, you WILL start to lose. I think some docs are a bit too cautious because they don't want you to starve to death!!!!

I'm glad you posted this. I'm feeling the same way. I've had 2 fills now and I still don't feel any restriction. I worry that something is wrong with my band. I'm also frustrated. I lost a little over 7 pounds between my 1st and 2nd fill, but I haven't lost anything since the 2nd one. I go back for a 3rd on Sept. 8th.

me too! I was banded 4/21, have had 2 fills and while I do make better food choices I can eat alot. I've been going up and down with the same 3 lbs for more than a month and I just really want it gone! lol!! I'm sure this will all eventually be worth it. I get my 3rd fill this Thursday and have been praying for it to hit my sweet spot.

This is a great thread, thanks for posting it . I too have had 2 fills and I haven't lost a single pound. Of course I am discouraged and embarrassed to explain to the 3 friends who know, what is going on. Now I can have them read this thread. When I went to get my 2nd fill I asked the receptionist and the nurse who did the fill what is going on and they both said the same thing everyone on this thread has said. "Don't worry, once you get the proper restriction you will start losing weight." Some people get there in one fill and some people don't get there for 5 fills. I do agree that you could ask for a more aggressive fill, just make sure you wait at the office and drink several glasses of Water before you leave to make sure you don't have too much fill. Hang it there, we are all in the same boat with a tiny paddle.