Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

24 hours post op and feeling great!

I had my surgery yesterday I went in at 6:30am my surgery was scheduled for 8 I was the first surgery of the day. They took me in, got me into a surgery gown and went over a bunch of paperwork. Then my family was allowed to come in and wait with me. The anestesiologist did my IV and heperin shot in the stomach, which you couldn't feel a bit believe it or not. Then we just waited a little bit, the surgeon came in and we went over the last few details of the surgery. The anestesiologist came in about 5 min after that, gave me some happy drugs and wheeled me off to the OR. They put the mask on my told me to take deep breaths, next thing I knew I was waking up in the OR as they were wheeling me into recovery. I could hear everything going on around me, just couldn't open my eyes. I was still really groggy. I felt like I couldn't breathe and began hyperventalating a bit. They put the oxygen back on me. That for me was the worst thing through this entire experience. I guess the gas they pump into you during surgery, was up in my chest and it was making it very difficult to breathe. They kept telling me that I was getting enough air in and to slow down breathing but you try feeling like your suffocating!! Anyway that lasted about 20 min or so. They then wheeled me up to my room where I was reunited with my fiance and my mom. It was pretty much smoothe sailing from there. I was able to get up and use the bathroom, went for several walks throughout the day and just kinda hung out. I really didn't want to stay overnight but man am I glad I was able to. I am sure I would have been fine if I went home, but it was nice to have the extra time to relax and have some extra help. I was able to eat some broth, sugar free Jello and Water. I was allowed to have 30cc or 2 tablespoons every 15 minutes. This morning I am feeling alot more sore, but once I took the pain medicine I am quite comfortable. I am able to get up and walk around and use the bathroom on my own. This has been alot easier then I thought. The pain is not too bad, more sore and uncomfortable. It was difficult finding a good position to sleep in last night, plus the nurses came in every hour last night so that didn't help much with sleep. I am having some broth right now and waiting to be discharged. I am to followup with my surgeon on Monday. I lost 14lbs on my pre-op diet. The surgeon said he hasn't seen a live as small as mine in a very long time. He was glad that I followed my pre-op diet so well. So I am 24 hours post op and feeling great!!! Good luck to everyone who is about to be banded, you will do just fine! :smile2:

Congrats on joining the bandster club! Sounds like everything went really well. Just take it easy over the next couple of days and you'll do great.

So glad to read your story. My experience,minus the shoulder pain, has been pretty good too. I am really excited about this new chapter of my life. I know we are not supposed to be getting on the scale but I have lost over 8 pounds since Monday. I know that is not normal and will slow when I get off liquids but it is the encouragement I needed.

Good luck and glad to see such a great story!