Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Flu in my house-what will happen if I vomit??

My son was sick last week, and my husband is sick now. I guess that means I'm probably next.... and when I've gotten the flu in the past I've really gotten sick, uncontrollable vomit sick.

I have restriction to the point of having to be very careful with bread, but I can still eat pretty much anything.

I've heard warnings about vomitting with the band (as if you can always have so much control)... anybody experienced it?

:thumbup:

No but I just read about it in the book I bought on another bandster's recommendation....said you should be ok (you can vomit with the band) as long as it's only a day or so. You don't want to get dehydrated. If you are worried, call your surgeon and see what they recommend!

Hey restlessmonkey....are there good lapband books out there to read or magazines we can read?? Id love to be reading all about it and sucess stories too while im waiting for my surgery.:thumbup:

After having a "bandster" on this site recommend one, I went to Amazon and searched for "Weight loss gastric band" in books and a bunch popped up. Right now I"m reading 'Weight Loss Surgery with the Adjustable Gastric Band" by Robert W Sewell and Linda Rohrbough. It's an easy read and VERY informative. I am truly enjoying it and wish I'd read it before I ever went to my surgeon. It covers lots of territory. You might want to try that and find some to your taste...even if you don't want to buy from amazon you can get some reviews etc and buy some used....

OH and it has lots of anecdotal stories from various people who have gotten the band, spread all throughout the book. I don't read nonfiction much but this is informative.

I also just got the book "Weight Loss Surgery with the Adjustable Gastric Band" and "Before and After". I rented them both from my library. Before my surgery I also bought and read my Dr.'s book called "Lap Band For Life" from Ariel Ortiz. That was informative. I haven't read the others as I just picked them up tonight.

010308, I would suggest that you at least call your surgeon's office to see what they recommend. They may be able to give you something to help prevent (hopefully) vomiting. As I recall from the book, I'm pretty sure it did say that (of course) you should try to avoid vomiting, and to call your Dr. for anti-nausea medicine. The force from vomiting can cause band slippage. Good Luck and I hope you all Get well soon! :thumbup:

I had a stomach bug a couple of weeks ago and my band got excruciatingly tight. I had to go in and have 1/4 cc taken out. That was all I needed for relief. My doc says that if you get a bug and you start throwing up, don't wait to call. You can throw up with the band, but if you're filled you probably will need to have some removed if you throw up more than just a couple of times.

I've had the flu and vomited, not fun but nothing worse than without the band. I also vomited after I came out of the anesthesia and again later that night. Not desirable since it was soon after the surgery, but again, no problems. It did hurt tho.

I've found some foods that make me vomit now (and didn't in the beginning). A vomit being different than a PB. Celery kills me.

I had flu last weekend. By Tuesday I had to call Dr. When in and he unfilled my band to give my stomach a rest. He said if this happens again to call right away, and if after hours or weekends go to the