Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Long term liquids pre-op diet question

I think I just misremembered your screen name. Sorry! :)

and lord yes people are overeating like crazy...just search for it.

I'm not because of not shrinking my liver properly the 1st time ....so this time it's all Protein Shakes and lean fish for me. oh, and Water. and sugar free gum.

yeah.. well i don't have my appointment until this friday I feel like I'll never be able to eat certain foods again... almost as if I am saying goodbye to an old friend. I think I'll get my surgery rather quick because I am self pay probably by the 4 of sept but nothing set in stone yet but I am so excited i could scream haven't seen the skinny me in 10yrs..... and my husband has never seen me thin... wow ... it will be like he has a whole new wife!!! hope he can handle it.... :)...

The nurse practitioner at my surgeon's office (where I called about the gum) made me feel good today. I mentioned to her that I had gotten so hungry and couldn't "trick" myself by saying wait a few days and THEN you can eat...and she said this to me " It will be a while, but eventually the odds are that you will be able to eat everything you do now. The difference is you will need to chew it well, and you will be full with a lot less. Some people have things they can't ever eat, but some people have absolutely NO problems. Hang in there"

Hope that helps you too with the "never eat again" feeling. I know I read this board and on the one hand it is helpful but on the other, every problem or "slime incident" or some such I think I will have...when what my NP said is more truthful. I may have one or 2 things I can't tolerate any more but then again, I may not.

So keep your chin up! OH and if the doc gives you a preop diet, follow it!

RestlessMonkey

Thanks for the advice and I will follow the pre op diet plus my husband is going with me to meet the surgen so I'll have no choice to follow it to the T if the Dr told me flap my arms like a chicken while drinking it my husband would make me do it... LOL :thumbup: Theresa WA

Be thankful that you can do this sort of diet...my Dr. has me on a 2 week Medifast diet which is pkg. foods and disgusting. I wish I could have a piece of chicken or fish or low carb veggies. My Breakfast consisted of a vanilla shake and I have a headache from being on this diet and my stomach is growling. I don't think sugar free gum is a problem. They want the regular sugar out of our system. I'm the one going nuts right now. My 16 year old daughter went and go chinese won tong Soup last night and I drank some of her broth. Sounds appetising huh? I'm trying stay focused on my goal. Have fun eating chicken and fish while I eat pre pkgd. food. :thumbup:

Hi All! I know I can ask my doc about this and I will, but I wanted a concensus....

I'm doing a fairly long pre-op "atkinsesque" diet to shrink my fatty liver, consisting of 2-3 low carb shakes, lots of Water, and "palm sized" lean Protein (only fish turkey or chicken) and some low carb veggies.

What I was wondering is...I'm going NUTS! Do you think I could chew some sugar free gum, just to get rid of the ick taste in my mouth? Plus it gives me something to gnaw on besides my chair arm. I don't want to

blow it; and I CAN tough it out if I have to. Had I followed his rules properly at first I'd have been banded 8/11, so I don't want to cheat. Just wondering if, pre-op, sugar free gum is ok. What do you think?

You'll be able to eat mostly what you do now, only healthier.. I rarely eat bread products.. i haven't had a burger since before being banded.. I don't even miss them really. I don't crave all that bread like I use to eat. The only thing I really have problems getting down are scrambled eggs. But my other banded friends have no problems with them. I thought I would have problems with sushi, but I don't, whereas others might because of the rice. I eat salad a lot.. it's an easy food for me to get down but I see others on here who have problems getting it down. Its one of those things you just have to wait and see about. I don't miss the eggs at all and I can still have deviled eggs every now and again at BBQ's and such.

I feel sorry for anybody who has to do those stupid liquid diets.. it's total BS.. and I've ranted about them way too many times on this forum, so I won't go into it now.. but I do feel very sorry that your doctor follows that plan when he doesn't need to.. :thumbup:

Coolcrystal, I honestly HOPE the diet works since I've already been through surgery once and my liver was too large. If it isn't shrinking, I'll just be going under again for nothing. I do well and bounce back quickly but it isn't anything I want to do "for fun". I hope I can eat bread if I want it, or anything for that matter. The NP gave me that hope.

If I remember correctly, RestlessMonkey has already had a surgery cancelled because of fatty liver so I would say that the pre-op diet is not unecessary. I know that the pre-op liquid diet was very hard for me but I don't think it was unecessary and it got me on the right track.

Jodi you're right! BUT the surgery wasn't cancelled...I went under, was on the table, and he couldn't get my liver out of the way without lacerating it. He's very skilled so I'm sure it was too big. I'm glad he DIDN'T lacerate it! SO this better work or I am in trouble.

That really is a bummer. But you are gonna make it this time, I just know it!!:thumbup:

What is your surgery date?

It's Aug 29. I'm under the gun because I'm a nursing student and have classes that I truly can't miss. State law requires that we attend a certain amt etc...

I've lost 27 pounds since 7/25....over half that since 8/12 LOL So maybe it's my liver shrinking and not my brain! :thumbup:

I know some/most of it is Water, but still glad I'm not carrying it around any more!

I see you were banded 5/30. How is it, 3 months (almost) out? How many fills have you had? Have you "slimed" or "PB'd" much? Is it hard to adjust? I can hardly wait until I'm through all this and doing the "work" part of it.

WOW! 27 pounds...heck, without the band you've almost lost as much as me...that's fantastic!

I feel great at this point...still working for my sweet spot. I have had two fills the last one was on the 7th and as we speak I am trying to arrange another fill (their scheduling system is down :eek:).

I have PB'd a couple times and it is always when I am in too big a hurry. I got stuck once and slimed, but just a little. It really hasn't been so hard for me to adjust but I am really anxious to get to my sweet spot though.

So, next Friday is the day! I'll be pullin' for ya. :)

I'm new at this so don't laugh, what is "slimed"? I know what PB'd is and the thought of doing it absolutely disgusts me, but I never heard of "slimed".

WOW! 27 pounds...heck, without the band you've almost lost as much as me...that's fantastic!

I feel great at this point...still working for my sweet spot. I have had two fills the last one was on the 7th and as we speak I am trying to arrange another fill (their scheduling system is down :eek:).

I have PB'd a couple times and it is always when I am in too big a hurry. I got stuck once and slimed, but just a little. It really hasn't been so hard for me to adjust but I am really anxious to get to my sweet spot though.

So, next Friday is the day! I'll be pullin' for ya. :)

I'm new at this so don't laugh, what is "slimed"? I know what PB'd is and the thought of doing it absolutely disgusts me, but I never heard of "slimed".

You can "slime" if you get a peice of food stuck but are not able to "PB" it back up. Your stomach produces a bunch of mucus to try and get the food unstuck. This mucus can back up into your esaphagus then into your mouth. It is just thick, clear mucus. Believe me, it isn't very pleasant :)

Thanks Jodi! I'm sure I started out much larger than you...I think a lot of people who weigh 405 go for gastric bypass or some other type of surgery, if they go the surgery route. So I'm sure that's why my losses are so large! But hey I'm still glad it's gone! :)

Thanks for the info. I'm worried about not chewing well, myself, although I'm not a fast eater. I also appreciate that you are pulling for me!

OH and to the other poster (sorry forgot your screen name!) you can search for sliming (it's mentioned a lot) I kind of know what it is, but not well enough to explain it, just recognize it! LOL