Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you handle hiccups?

I'm not banded yet but a thought struck me last night as I was in the midst of a case of hiccups that wouldn't die. I ended up having to drink a 20 oz bottle of Water non stop in order to get rid of them. That started me thinking about life after banding. I find myself doing that alot lately. I was wondering, since you have to eat and drink so slowly with a band, how to you get rid of hiccups?

Well i usually get hiccups alot and bad since I always ate and drank to fast. I would get them really deep too! I have been banded a week and haven't had the hiccups at all...probably because I slowed down my eating habits.

If you do I have a hug pillow that I hug to my stomach when i sneeze and cough and that helps a lot too!

Good luck with your journey into bandland

A friend told me her cure for the hiccups a few years back and it works for my entire family and I wish I WOULD have known it my whole life!

Take a cup of Water, place a paper towel over the top and sip through the paper towel. For everyone in my family it only takes a couple of sips and the hiccups are cured! I hope this works for you!

I can still "chug" water...I have no restriction when it comes to that. I get the hiccups when I move after I've eaten...and I don't know if it's from the pouch emptying into my stomach or if I create an air bubble when I move...but anyway, sometimes if I get up and walk around it helps them to go away, or I drink nine sips of Water - sometimes less than that. My son eats a spoonful of sugar (teaspoon) when he gets the hiccups and that makes his go away...

I always pick a focal point and stare at it while I breathe slowly and deeply. Kind of like labor breathing. It works most of the time.

I can drink Water pretty fast too. It would be a problem for me to drink 20 ounces if I needed to.