Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please respond if you started with a bmi around 40

HI I am one month post op tomorrow. When I started this process and I read how some people lost weight so slowly I was sure that would not be me since I dedicate myself 100% to things. Also I lost 60 pounds in just about 4 months... of course I gained it all back thats why I had the surgery. Anyways so now I am post op 1 month and only lost 10 pounds since the surgery and 10 pounds on my pre op diet. The 10 I lost after the surgery was the first 2 weeks.. the last 2 weeks I have lost NOTHING!!!! I blog what I eat and I exercise every day for 30 mins to 1 hour. Now before I had the band if I did this I would loose at least 4 pounds a week.. and now nothing?? At first I said well I am not loosing because I am gaining muscle but come on how long can your body stay at the same weight with such low calorie intake and so much exercising? I am getting my 70 grams of Protein and low carbs everything sugar free I am doing all I am supposed to do and I am getting discouraged!!! So if you started out like me with a BMI around 40 please let me know where you were at 1 month post op. Thanks

I know how frustrated you are Emily. It is really hard in the first stages of being banded especially when you read on here how fast the weight falls off of some people. First off you should be congratulated for your 10 pounds pre and 10 pounds post op.. maybe you need to remind yourself just how heavy that is and go and pick up a few bags of sugar!!..(you won't feel so down about it then)..

I was BMI 41 when I was banded on June 18th. After one month I lost 18 pounds. I was very pleased BUT I had many complications along the way. I have lost 30 pounds to date but haven't lost anthing for the past three weeks. I think because I had infections and my eating was just way out of whack. I also haven't been getting enough Protein. I do think that maybe you should call your dietician, give them a weekly journal of your eating and exercise.. maybe you need to increase your calories a bit more!??.. I read on here earlier that one woman could get out of her plateau by upping her calories (we are talking a couple hundred not a big mac style increase!!)..and changing her exercise routine..that would trick her body into moving the weight again... I used to do this when I was on weight watchers and would see a good weight loss afterwards. I am going to try again once I ge my ankle out of its plaster cast and can start exercising again!.

Good luck to you and KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.. you are doing an amazing job!!!... keep in touch it will be good to hear how you are getting on.

kind regards

Kizzie

One month post-op I was 8 pounds lighter than at surgery. This was my first fill appointment. I had lost 9 pounds in the 2weeks after surgery, stayed the same the 3rd week and gained a pound the 4th week. I have seen many other people on here say they did about the same. The week after my fill I lost 9 pounds now I have stayed about the same for 2 weeks and just scheduled my second fill. I should have done it sooner. The weight will come off but you may need to change it up sometimes. Many people here talk about their bodies breaking a plateau by exercising more or less or eating more or less maybe for one day or for a few days. It jump starts the metabolism.

I also started with a BMI over 40. I just went to my 10 month post op appointment on the 6th and I have lost 89 pounds today. I am also 18. I am the type of person who weighs myself every morning and writes it on the calander. So I feel your pain about not losing any weight for 2 weeks. I know it may seem like a long time but you also have to remember that the faster you lose it, the faster you put it back on. I'm sure you can relate since you said that you had lost 60 than gained it back. Since you are only at 1 month post op, you should know now that you will hit platos where you don't lose weight for a few weeks. This is normal. The lap band procedure is meant to have the weight come off slow to keep your body from going into shock, or your skin from being baggy, and as a better way to change your lifestyle. The band is meant to be a tool not a quick fix. Focus more on changing your lifestyle and my nutritionist said it is a good idea to only weigh yourself once a week because the body fluxuates differently through out the day. Just keep working hard because hard work always pays off. Don't be discouraged because you have taken the first step into becoming a healthier person. Try to be happy that you are one of the rare people who actually try.

I was banded 6-26-08 with a BMI of 40, so far i have lost 18 LBS there was 2 weeks i didnt lose anything,then Bam! it started coming off again, i guess it comes off in spurts, congrats on your weight loss so far! at least we are not gaining try to have patience it will come off

Hi-I was banded on 11th July 08 & my BMI was 40 prior to my starting the pre band diet. Im feeling a little fed up as Im not loosing as quick as i wanted too , Ive had my first fill but Im still able to eat what I like & more than I would like too. Im going to my first group meeting in the morning so Im hoping they will give me a little hope. I would like to keep in contact, so please let me know how you go on x

Mrs lummy from the UK

Thanks everyone!!! Your really helping me :thumbup: I think maybe I should have more carbs since I have never done low carb in my life maybe my body needs them :sad: SO I will try this and see what happens.. I am so happy I have lost 20 pounds and even more happy that I made this life change :tt1: I hope to start loosing again soon thanks for your support!!!!

I started with a BMI of 41 and I was banded last October. First of all you can not compare yourself to anyone else’s weight loss. I know we all want touch-points to make sure we are on the "right track" but with the band it is a self-journey.

These are just possible ideas of what could be going on just to ease your mind:

You could be exercising too much and not taking in enough calories to compensate, so your body is storing fat. Giving the fact that you were overweight to begin with shows that you probably have a pre-disposition for storing fat as it is. (Me too. It was a survival trait that kept people from starving during famines. Lucky us- huh?) To solve this problem I recommend that you keep your net calories around 1000-1200 per day.

Your body could be in shock from losing weight too quickly, and is again trying to store fat. (damn, damn, damn!)

Give yourself time to adjust...some people don't lose any weight for a couple of months and then presto it just comes off.

If you are seriously concerned talk to your doctor, but I am sure he will say give it time.

(By this time next year you'll look smokin' hot in your bikini!

Hey I bought one this summer, but I only wear it in the back yard…but I still bought one…and that still counts!)

I belive I started with a bmi of about 43-ish just banded like urself I'll be 1 month next week, I lost 12 lbs the first week ( plus the 4 I gained during surgery Iv fluids so 16) and have not lost in 2 weeks still going back and forth up 2 lbs down 2.... Stay positive!!!! My first fill is next week, maybe u need a fill! Keep logging ur food, keep building up ur exercise... You are not alone I was actually relieved to read ur story helps me realize I'm not alone either!

Ha! I love this thread! It's the same with me as you all have described. This past 2 weeks I've lost the same 2# several times!

Also, in reading this, I've realized that when I've up'd my calories on ONE day, it's when the scale starts moving the next few days. I'm usually between 750 to 950 calories a day.

Glad to know that I'm not alone.

I'm another one struggling w/ the same scenario. My BMI was 41 pre-op. I lost 10 on the pre-op diet & another 12 since surgery, but that also was in the first 2 weeks. Now I just wait for the scale to move-and it doesn't. I'm trying hard to just maintain.

I'm another one struggling w/ the same scenario. My BMI was 41 pre-op. I lost 10 on the pre-op diet & another 12 since surgery, but that also was in the first 2 weeks. Now I just wait for the scale to move-and it doesn't. I'm trying hard to just maintain.

why we sound just the same!!! well at least we know now that this seems normal!! But its still hard to accept. I put my scale away because I couldnt take it anymore :)

Hi, I was banded July 21st. My weight that day probably wasn't realistic, since I had all that pre-surgery prep, which really emptied me out. Basically, given that weight, I have only lost 10 pounds in the almost 4 weeks since surgery.

I had lost 35 pounds before it and that may be the reason why this weight loss is so slow. My first few weeks I know I was taking in too few calories and I'm probably not doing enough exercise, but it is still very discouraging. My starting BMI was 39. I have 40 more pounds to lose, which may be another reason why it's going so slow, but emotionally it is still very difficult, when I read how well everyone's doing. Any advice. One other thing, I'm 62 years old.

Dec, 2007 - 210 pounds

July 9th - 184 pounds

July 21st - 174.5 pounds

August 16th - 164.5

Sure could use some emotional support!!!:thumbup:

(Now that I look at the above stats, I see that I've lost 20 pounds in 5 1/2 weeks. I guess that's OK!)

Thanks for letting me vent.

Love,

Ellen

I know you all hate to hear it, and it's more than frustrating, but the lapband typical results are the average of 2 pounds lost per week. If you have lost 10 pounds in a month, you are right on course. Also if you lose 4 pounds one week, then the next you may not lose any. 8 a month is par...so you're doing alright.

Someone on here said that the pre-op takes EVERYTHING out of you and it does. And so you gain a few pounds just putting it all back the first week or so. Don't panic.

I started with a bmi of 40 and have found that when I stressed about it the scale refused to move. My biggest 'staller' has always been not getting enough no-cal liquids. I have been able to steadily lose 2 pounds a week and have been at 8-10 pounds every month.

good luck to you all, if I can help any more, please let me know. This isn't easy but it is possible. Don't lose faith in yourself. You CAN do this.

Dear Stephanie,

Thank you so much for your response. You make me feel so much better and I'm actually a little less anxious, now that I've read what you wrote.

So, I'm going to drink a bottle of water!!! And walk a bit more!!! And be soooooo grateful for this forum.

Love,

Ellen