Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I went for my first fill today and found that my port had flipped 180 degrees! incredible. The doctor tried three times to access it to no avail. I had surgery this evening to correct it. I had local anesthesia so was awake through the whole procedure. It was uncomfortable at times but they kept drugging me which was great. My port has been placed an inch and a half lower now. It was under my bra strap area. I think this is why it flipped.

Anyway, I am home again now with 3cc in my band. I ate an inch of poached salmon, an inch of vegetable tortilla and half a cup of Soup. I felt FULL!!! and completely satisfied!!.. now THIS is what the BAND IS ALL ABOUT!! HURRAH!.

I am so pleased that I can now get on with this and start to lose weight again.

My surgeon has been amazing. He booked me into my surgery immediately. I guess the added benefits of being self pay. However, I am not paying for the reposition and correction, to my knowledge.

Going to bed now. Tramadol is kicking in.. Stinging pain and will have to be careful again with the port.

Just thought posting this might have been of some use to others!.

Oh! My infection has completely gone now too. I was admitted 2 weeks post op with temp 102. I had liquid in my spleen area. If it happens to anyone it happens to me. My surgeon has an incredible success rate. Poor guy must feel he was given a DUD!! lol... at least I didn't hemorrage! which is my usual trick post surgery.

Kizzie

Edited by kizzie
typo

Kizzy...I was wondering if your insurance paid for the port repair being that you were self pay. I have a dilated pouch or a slipped band and looking at possibel surgical options. The prob is...i was self pay and I have no money for any repair that I may need. I am scared to death. Just wondering if your insurance is covering that.

I had a slipped band and was in horrible pain. Please get yours fixed before anything else happens. Perhaps the insurance company will pay as this is a true emergency. I was a self pay and then took an attorney and won on appeal. Not the full amount, but better than nothing. Therefore when I had my surgery for the slipped band, it was covered. Please make sure you do not compromise your health. I wish you well. Let me know please what happends.

Fran

hello

I am so sorry about your slipped band/dilated pouch. It is very worrying and such an inconvenience especially when we are self pay.

I actually don't have any insurance policy that covers anything to do with my lap band.I am a British expat living in the US, Europe and Caribbean. No insurance will cover me for anything but emergency travel. I am quite unfortunate with this. I have to self pay for everything. Thankfully the system with which I am in here know me for many years and have allowed me to pay in installments for anything after my basic lap band surgery.. I am HOPING that as the flipped port was not my fault that the surgery won't be any extra. I wouldn't be surprised though if they did add it on to my final costs.

I really hope you get the answers you are looking for. Maybe you should speak to your doctor and patient care department at your hospital and see what they can do to help with the insurance company. Always good to have the professionals. They deal with insurance claims all the time.

best of luck to you and I am so sorry I can't be of more assistance.

Kizzie

I had my band fitted last September and was called for my 1st fill in December when it was dicovered the port was back to front. I had to wait again for it to be turned and then 2 weeks after went for a fill only to discover I had a haematoma and couldn`t have my fill. Three weeks after I went for my 1st fill only for the Consultant to miss the port. Now its July and I have a date on the 29th to have a fill under Xray. I just feel like giving up especially when I hear of the large weight loss some people have who had their band after me. This is the NHS at Liverpool.